VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carlos Tevez
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:25 am 

Peanut wrote:

The reason it's not in the cabinet is that it's been so long since it was opened, no one can remember where they put the key ;)

That sounds a bit like United's piggy bank on Transfer deadline day.....or Fergie's wallet when it's his round in the pub. :lol:

On a serious note, did you see the newsflash last night?

SKY NEWS......Roberto Mancini Is set to welcome back Carlos Tevez to the Man City 1st team squad, a spokesman said Halloween just wouldn't be the same without him. haha

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:05 am 

SShhhhhhhh.....

It ain't over yet until the fat lady sings... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 am 

Seriously,H,it's great to be winning trophies and games, but City are just like Chelsea. Just buying success. What's the point ? I reckon I could win you the league if you gave me their money and squad. Look at how much money City and Chelsea lose every year and it tells you something.Even City's sponsors are blood related to City's owners. Their wealth will bankrupt 90 % of clubs in the Premiership. It will all end in tears ! Pep Guardiola will be at Chelsea next season. He was tapped up at the end of the game ! Another expensive.....err....purchase.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:55 pm 

As a long suffering Spurs season ticket holder, I'm tempted to suggest that we merge this thread with the one titled "Does Anyone Care Any More?"! :cry:

I think Guardiola will stick to his aim of taking a year off to recharge his batteries; he doesn't seem motivated by cash and why would any sane man swap Barcelona (with whom he's been man & boy) for Chelsea?!

I'm no great admirer of United, but I'd rather they won the title for a decade than have City buy it even once (where will they be when the owners clear off and leave them in the sort of debt which would look like small change to Glasgow Rangers?).

Still, at least City's fans still turned up when they were in the 2nd & 3rd divisions; amazing how many Chelsea fans claim to have been regulars all their lives - can't work out how only 6,000 turned up for their big local derby against Orient 30 years ago! :lol:

Any club which sacks a manager (Ancelotti) after he's won the domestic double, and which will probably deny the job to the current temporary incumbent, even if he were to win the Champions League, deserves to remain forever frustrated. Maybe they should let John Terry manage the team officially (that would provide a strong moral lead - not!); he thinks he's doing it already and he's paid enough to do both jobs!

Spurs &, to a lesser extent, Arsenal refuse to break their wage structure by paying players astronomical wages, so it will always be hard to compete. However, I can recall my team very nearly going bust in 1991 and that was far, far worse. :shock:

Blimey; looks like I may care after all! ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:06 pm 

Ian, United have been buying success for years. 19 titles and nearly all won by money.....Kean? Rooney? Berbatov? Ferdinand? etc etc etc.....

I am a Mancunian born and bred, I'm a Man City fan, sat on my dads shoulders in the kippax from the age of 6 in the wind and rain. Cried, laughed and supported City through the good times and the bad, yes even when they didn't have a pot to Pee in and were on the bones of their asses when relegated to the third division.
As a fan you don't turn your back on your team in those bad times you stick with them, you ride with it, they are in your blood, they are who you are. what I'm saying is... If some big money men tycoons come along and plough millions, billions, zillions into our club then it doesn't change a single thing about the way I feel for City.

Am I supposed to start supporting a less wealthier club than ours as a punishment??? haha

If the day came again when we are battling hard times and relegation I will still be there in full support of my team, chest bursting out of my City top on match days cheering them on. Rich or poor it doesn't matter to me who has billions and who doesn't. come rain or shine I love Man City and that's just the way it is.

Ian S wrote:
I reckon I could win you the league if you gave me their money and squad.

We have a family member who played for City between 1968-1973. (you see it's a family thing) But In 1968 Man City won the league with 11 English born players. The first and only club to ever do that....Without the millions, billions and zillions.

Success is a journey...never a destination.........and envy is the root of all evil. :lol:

CTID.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:28 pm 

These things are all relative but, from where I am sitting, all top flight English clubs have far too much "unearned" money and it is hard to distinguish one club from the pack.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm 

Helen,

I think any football fan would have to admit that the big clubs (and not just the Big Four) have been spending/wasting money for years like kids in a sweet shop; some have bought more success than others. What doesn't seem right to us is that City seem to be trying to do it all in one splurge, instead of allowing the rest of us to enjoy the lack of return on their investment for a few years! ;)

It's only the fact that Abramovich is clearly only interested in the one trophy which keeps eluding Chelsea (and long may that continue!) which makes their Premiership titles almost bearable!

I don't think anyone was suggesting that City's fans have crawled out of the woodwork or suddenly attached themselves to the club for the first time. As you say, you pick your club (or vice versa) for life, not just for the good times.

The worrying thing is that there's so much money in the Champions League now that it became a self-perpetuating cycle (i.e. the money received one year buys the following year's qualification) and we almost got to the point where only four teams could hope to qualify (a bit like an expanded version of the SPL, where the title has been a two horse race from August each year). That's why true footie fans may be hoping to see Spurs and/or Newcastle edge out Chelsea (and ideally Arsenal too, but I fear that's too much to hope for!).

BTW, who was your relation in the City squad 1968-73?

Last edited by Smudge on Wed May 02, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 am 

What I'm trying to say is United, Spurs and Arsenal balance the books to an extent. City and Chelsea just buy anyone and everyone at any cost. They've lost their identity. Might as well call themselves the Harlem Globetrotters. Yaya Toure left Barcelona because he ....err....wanted a new challenge .....and £250,000 a week at City ! Who's next? Messi ? Drogba ? Gerrard, Suarez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Torres, Modric.,Van Persie, Fabrigas ? Oh ,what the heck,why don't they buy all of them !!! Buy all the competition. Yorkshire County Cricket Club will not allow anyone to play for them if they weren't born in Yorkshire. They haven't won much over the years,but I admire them for that. At leas tthey can say that Yorkshire lads won something for Yorkshire. UEFA should bring in some law that says every club should have at least 6 players on the pitch that are local lads. Otherwise,where's yer soul!!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 am 

Having said that, I do admire the City fans.Loyal throughout the bad times. And there were many bad times ,weren't there !!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Owner

Try being Inverness Caledonian Thistle season ticket holder, that can try your loyalty sometimes.

J. O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next