VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carlos Tevez
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 am 
Site Owner

Quote:
The Glasgow Old Firm has that religious angle that, unfortunately, feeds the hatred.

Singularly the biggest embarrassment in Scotland

Religion gets the blame but it is just ignorant bigoted people using religion as an excuse to display their lack of intelligence.

An athiest friend who said to me after Celtic Rangers game 'this is exactly why religion should be banned' I asked him how many police and stewards were at the game and how many arrests were made, then I asked him how many police and stewards were in the all the churches in Scotland that day and how many arrests were made there, so it is not the religions that have a problem.

The Catholic religion and the other Christian religions in Scotland do not preach bigotry, bitterness and hatred to one another. There is no such thing as a bitter Christian because if you are a Christian you will not be bigoted and bitter and if you are bitter and bigoted you are not a Christian no matter how often you go to church.

A small element of Celtic and Rangers supporters spoil it for everyone as I am sure most of their supporters abhorr this scurge on what I am sure is an otherwise well respected nation.

I brought my son up to support the team from the town he was born in, the town he calls home and nothing to do with the Church he goes to, the school he went to or the origins of his surname. The two reasons for this were of course why not this is our town and the big two teams are 200 miles away and the other main reason is that I didn't want him exposed to associated with such poison that has leached onto two the great football clubs in our Country

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:28 am 

On a happier note (and, as a Spurs season ticket holder, I know only too well the risk of premature optimism...), there seem to be fledgling signs that the balance of power in north London may at last be returning from red to blue! :D

London may play a distant second fiddle to the two halves of Manchester this season (or will that make it third fiddle, maybe Jobson-style?!), but it would nice to be the capital's top club again as Chelsea's ageing squad trips over its collective wallet...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:57 am 

Helen wrote:
Peanut wrote:
But these days the F.A. Cup doesn't mean anywhere near as much. Does it, Helen? ;-)

Just going back to John's comment about Celtic winning the European Cup in 67 with 11 scotsmen, although I'm too young to remember, Man City won division 1 in 68 with 11 Englishmen! no English club have ever done that since, and in this day and age it will never happen again. sadly.

[/color]

I watched that Celtic game on tv, it was great; I played on the right wing as a kid and loved Jimmy Johnstone after seeing him/Celtic annihilate us (Sunderland) 5-1 in a pre-season friendly. And I've always supported Scotland because of the huge amount of Scots that have played for Sunderland - Jim Baxter was a Sunderland player when he did keepy-up in THAT win!

Helen, you've forgotten to mention that a certain team was totally outplayed and defeated at home 2-1 by us "no-hopers" when you clinched the title in '68, it was made all the sweeter by the fact you beat the Mags at their place too! :D ;)

The FA Cup has lost it's magic, and there will never be an FA Cup Final to match the glorious and fantastic fairy tale that was 1973 - a team of English and Scots lads, the first and only team to win the Final at Wembley without a single full international player amongst them. What a great year '73 was for a Roxy/Sunderland fan!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm 

The FA Cup has lost it's magic, and there will never be an FA Cup Final to match the glorious and fantastic fairy tale that was 1973 - a team of English and Scots lads, the first and only team to win the Final at Wembley without a single full international player amongst them. What a great year '73 was for a Roxy/Sunderland fan!!!

Can't remember a final when more of the country was rooting for one side over the other; Revie era Leeds were that unpopular! Even when Wimbledon turned over Liverpool it was hard to take heart because the cup holders were probably the biggest bunch of cloggers the Premiership had ever seen (a role since assumed by any team managed by Sam Allardyce...).

So, you got Porterfield's goal, Monty's save, Pyjamarama & FYP (with Stranded & Street Life as a bonus) all at much the same time? Hard to top that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:15 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Helen wrote:
Peanut wrote:
But these days the F.A. Cup doesn't mean anywhere near as much. Does it, Helen? ;-)

Just going back to John's comment about Celtic winning the European Cup in 67 with 11 scotsmen, although I'm too young to remember, Man City won division 1 in 68 with 11 Englishmen! no English club have ever done that since, and in this day and age it will never happen again. sadly.

[/color]

I watched that Celtic game on tv, it was great; I played on the right wing as a kid and loved Jimmy Johnstone after seeing him/Celtic annihilate us (Sunderland) 5-1 in a pre-season friendly. And I've always supported Scotland because of the huge amount of Scots that have played for Sunderland - Jim Baxter was a Sunderland player when he did keepy-up in THAT win!

Helen, you've forgotten to mention that a certain team was totally outplayed and defeated at home 2-1 by us "no-hopers" when you clinched the title in '68, it was made all the sweeter by the fact you beat the Mags at their place too! :D ;)

The FA Cup has lost it's magic, and there will never be an FA Cup Final to match the glorious and fantastic fairy tale that was 1973 - a team of English and Scots lads, the first and only team to win the Final at Wembley without a single full international player amongst them. What a great year '73 was for a Roxy/Sunderland fan!!! :D

Rendezvous, talking about the Scottish players for Sunderland has just reminded me of something, Wasn't it Ally McCoist who came on as a sub for Sunderland and scored one past Man city in '81' I think? sorry my mind has gone to mush! he became one of my favourite players, not because of that mind, and he signed a picture for me in 1992 whilst playing for Rangers.....Whooooooo! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 am 

Rendezvous, talking about the Scottish players for Sunderland has just reminded me of something, Wasn't it Ally McCoist who came on as a sub for Sunderland and scored one past Man city in '81' I think? sorry my mind has gone to mush! he became one of my favourite players, not because of that mind, and he signed a picture for me in 1992 whilst playing for Rangers.....Whooooooo! :D
[/quote]

Cheers Smudge, spot on!

Hi Helen, Yeah it was Ally and it was a cracker. He was an extremely popular young lad when he was with us, he actually went out with the barmaid from my local for a while and always had time for the fans. Lovely sense of humour and quite deprecating about his own talent; he was very dedicated and really hated losing, he was as miserable as us after a defeat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 am 

The bad apple element stikes again!

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topst ... 6847421.jp

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 pm 

Wayne Rooney is said to be distraught about his 78th minute sending off, Tonight! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:04 am 

Helen wrote:
Wayne Rooney is said to be distraught about his 78th minute sending off, Tonight! ;)

Blimey!!!! :lol:

I swear that had nothing to do with me officer!

I might have to try my psychic powers out on the lottery tonight......might be buying you all a pale Ale in the morning......fingers crossed. xxx :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:04 pm 

I've told you before that you're a witch!! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next