VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Chris Spedding - new album & London gig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm 

Thanks, Smudge, for putting this up.

Wish I could be there. I used to see him regularly in New york through the 80's and 90's. Two people who should be there are John Cale and Robert Gordon. It would be great if he could reprise his time with the Vibrators and the Neccessaries.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

Two people who should be there are John Cale and Robert Gordon.

I very much doubt the gig budget would stretch that far, Eero, but I'm sure I read online that RG has contributed to the album.

I think there's a desire to get JC involved in the album too, but it was unclear whether or not it will happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 pm 

The only other thing I know about the gig is that it might be worth keeping 5th June free in your diary...

Sadly, it appears that the birthday gig's been postponed; certainly the proposed venue has another act booked for 5th June. :(

Trying to establish whether there might still be a birthday bash on another date and/or at another time...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:27 am 

I had a ticket to see Spedding's Power Trio at the Corn Exchange in Hertford on Thursday night, but it was cancelled 48 hours earlier, with no reason being given. :(

His three dates in Scotland last week were also cancelled, so I wondered if any fans up there know why? Ill health or poor ticket sales or something else?

On the plus side, his 70th birthday album is at the final mixing stage and features guest contributions from BF, Andy Mackay, Andy Fraser, Robert Gordon a.o. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm 

The blog attached to Spedding's website confirms that the 70th birthday album, entitled "Joyland", is not now expected until Sept.

It does at least confirm the involvement of Messrs Ferry & Mackay (separately, as far as I'm aware...).

http://www.chrisspedding.com/news/index ... d=5&ukey=0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:04 pm 

More details of the Joyland album, including BF & Andy's input, can be found at http://www.chrisspedding.com/news/index ... d=5&ukey=0

Spedding is also scheduled to play at the 100 Club in London's Oxford Street on 10th January. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:30 pm 

Spedding is also scheduled to play at the 100 Club in London's Oxford Street on 10th January. :D[/quote]

Here's a rather objective and complementary review of the show penned by The Guardian, the photo would hint that perhaps good 'ol Anthony Price is helping out in the sartorial department? Sorry that I missed the show as Chris is indeed a master. Did anyone attend that can share their take on the evening?

www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/12/chris-spedding-review-100-club-london-old-school-r-and-b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 am 

The Guardian's photo wasn't taken on Saturday's gig, LeadPearl.

There's been a thread about the Spedding album running in the BF section of this forum (because of BF's guest appearance on one song) and I posted a link to another review, by Richard Williams, there.

I think RW's review had a photo from the weekend show (Spedding wore a cream or off-white jacket), although the Guardian photo blows a hole in RW's rather generous description of Spedding as a man of 70, but looking 50! ;)