VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Nobodies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:27 pm 

Sorry if you are all up to speed on this already, but it is news to me at least. It looks like these guys have covered the whole of the first album. If you follow the link below you will find their version of all or most of the other tracks on the album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GfwqWF9 ... re=related

Post subject: Re: New Nobodies
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 pm 

I checked out the given link and find it good. I like this and want to hear this more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:29 pm 

I'm probably just an old f*rt stuck in a 1970s mindset, but I think something as iconic as the debut album should be left untouched (at least by anyone other than Roxy).

I listened to a handful of tracks on Youtube and, while some are more listenable than others, Ladytron sounds like Vic Reeves "singing" on Shooting Stars in the "club style"! (For overseas members of this forum, it's a UK comedy programme which includes a barely musical pastiche...)

Some of the footnotes to the Youtube clips express gratitude to BF, but you'd have hoped they might at least have spelled his name correctly!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 pm 

I pretty much agree with all of that, Smudge.

I can't decide for sure if it is a tongue firmly in cheek effort or just an amateurish attempt. I think it is the latter. That being the case you have got to at least give them a bit of respect for their good taste in choosing this material. and a pat on the back for having a go. Maybe it is the first of many independent 40th anniversary tributes?

They certainly don't try to copy the originals slavishly, but have a go at something different, which I think is the most interesting thing about these recordings. I just hit on each song at random and it was quite interesting to hear the first 2 or 3 "interpretations". However, it all got very repetetive after a while and I lost interest.

The covers that I enjoyed most were the songs that I like least on the original album i.e. The Bob and Bitters End. I am not sure what that signifies - maybe just that I am more receptive to hearing a different take on songs if I am not so attached to them?

I don't think that I will be rushing out to buy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 am 

I enjoyed it. Yes the first album is brilliant and ironic, yes thiese versions are amateurish, but I enjoyed it. I am always interested when someone can turn a song inside out and find something new in it.. I say Bravo