VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 2017 Tour Reviews
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:47 pm 

Unlike Pianoman I'm afraid I don't feel up to the task of writing a review of my own, unfortunately I wouldn't even know how to express most of the things I'd like to say in German, let alone in English :|

So it's just a couple of random notes from me.

It was a wonderful concert in Hamburg, everybody was in top shape, the audience was cheerful and welcoming. The (link) setlist was almost identical with that of the Munich show, except the titles had been a bit mixed up - as Pianoman mentioned on facebook: stirred, not shaken. Everybody got up from their seats and started dancing at the beginning of Re-Make/Re-Model, which was number 14 on the setlist - for a Hamburg crowd that is record-breakingly enthusiastic - because, as you possibly know, we "fishheads" have a bit of a reputation for being utterly cool, distanced and standoffish.

There were quite a few "younger" folks in the audience, "younger" meaning people under 40, some even seemed to be under 30 :shock:

It was the first time Bryan played at the Mehr! Theater, as his regular venue, the CCH is currently being renovated. Honestly, I was not very happy with the venue.

We had very good seats, exactly in the center of the fifth row. Unfortunately whoever designed the interior of that venue thought it was a bright idea to have all seats in one continuous row without any aisle in between, so actually sitting in the center of a 50-60 seats wide row felt a bit like being trapped, a sentiment that was also shared by our neighbours. Fortunately none of us needed a bathroom break, otherwise about 30 people would have had to stand up and let us through as we would have had to step over (not on) their feet in the dark.

And, worse than that, I wasn't really happy with the acoustics. The concert was very loud, the bass was very loud and so strong I could feel my entire body including my diaphragm vibrating in its rhythm, which I don't mind, however the sound of the bass was not clear at all. Maybe we were too close to the speakers, but it wasn't the first time I had a seat in the front section at a BF concert and I've never had that problem before. During most of the songs the sound of the bass was just too blurred or "mushy" to distinctly follow the bass lines. Which was a shame, as Neil Jason is a wonderful bass player and I like his hard and funky style. I would really much rather have perceived his play with my ears instead of my entire body. At the same time, unfortunately, it was my impression that the medium frequencies were much too low/quiet. I had the impression that the musicians, most of all Bryan, were frustrated they couldn't deliver the sound they wanted. Nevertheless they delivered a fantastic show and the audience was cheerful and happy anyway, even though from an audiophile point of view it was not the magic carpet ride that Bryan normally provides for his fans. I just hope that next time he'll be back in the CCH.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:23 pm 

Thanks Lonely Dreamer for your carefully observed impressions of the Hamburg show.

Interesting that you noticed those younger people, too that must have been kids (or babies?) when Songs like More Than This and Slave To Love stormed the charts.

Apart from the inconvenient venue you were very disappointed by the sound. I remember those concerts at Munich's 'Olympiahalle' where the sound always used to be a single disaster. At Roxy Music's reunion concert in 2001 I was in a real rush of happiness and didn't pay attention to matters of sound :lol: . But it was such a pity that The Eagles in 2009 (129 € !!) and Toto in 2015 (virtuous musicians !!) sounded as if they had played in a big tin can ... I'll never go there anymore.

Anyway I hope you had some fun - taking part is everything as the Olympic spirit says 8-) .

PS: What's next? Roxy Deluxe? The RAH concert? I'm eagerly waiting for new releases - but no more re-mixes, please :cry: !!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:31 pm 

Hi Pianoman,

I hope my remarks didn't sound too negative, it was a fantastic concert anyway and I truly enjoyed every second of it :D

Meanwhile some very good recordings have been uploaded on youtube and on dimeadozen

Stronger Through the Years - 17.05.2017 Hamburg

Simple Twist of Fate - 17.05.2017 Hamburg

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 am 

Hello Lonely Dreamer, I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert,

Ahahaha :lol:
Fishheads???

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm 

teresa wrote:
Ahahaha :lol:
Fishheads???

That's how people from the south of Germany call us northerners ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm 

Hampton Court Palace review. :)

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... ckets-date

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:45 pm 

Great showing by Bryan and the band on Wednesday night in San Diego at Humphreys By the Bay. The intimate venue with a 1,400 person capacity really allowed the crowd and band to feed off mutual energies. The crowd rose to their feet during More than This and remained standing throughout the encore.

This is my third Ferry concert: Olympa tour at the Greek in LA in 2011 and Humphreys in 2014, and this is the tightest band of the three, aided no doubt by Chris Spedding.

My one complaint is with either the venue's sound system or the mixing, but the vocals were not adequately loud - at times they were completely drowned out by the instruments.

There was a tour programme for sale, but it was a far cry from the gorgeous substantive booklet from the Olympia tour. This was the size of a mass market paperback book and had maybe 10-12 pages at most. For $5 though I should have purchased for the keepsake.

Bryan seemed to enjoy himself grinning quite a lot towards the end, hope to see him back soon.