VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: There are only a few days left ...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm 

... and our lifetime musical hero Bryan Ferry commits his 75th Birthday :D 8-) :o .

It's too early to congratulate but I have already thought about the things I want to do to to celebrate him and his music. I'm going to occupy my Yamaha-player the whole day and insert CDs with songs I haven't heard for a while. And I am looking forward to songs like Funny How Time Slips Away, As The World Turns, Party Doll, Carrickfergus, What Goes On, New Town, Mamouna, Miss Otis Regrets, Song To The Siren and Driving Me Wild to name only a few. What a rich work "the man" leaves us - just for our pleasure :) .

And then it came to my mind that Bryan's last collection of self-penned songs (8 out of 10) was Avonmore in 2014 (I really liked it !). Dear members of VRM, do you think he will ever publish an album with his own compositions (+ some ready-mades) again? Covid 19 gives a lot of time for such things but is he in the condition to work and is his voice in a good shape? What do the others in this forum expect him to do? I think there have been enough jazz adaptions of his songs and enough live concerts on CD/vinyl/download :| . What could he be working at the moment?

Post subject: Re: There are only a few days left ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:20 pm 

Cher Pianoman,

It looks like you’ve a veritable smorgasbord of aural sensations lined up to celebrate our hero’s anniversary !

W2 will be honouring the event in like fashion mais sans Yamaha piano and with a different selection of chansons.

With regards to what’s next ? This has also been on Windswept’s mind particularly since our hero’s European leg was so rudely interrupted, there appears to be little sign of life at ‘Studio One’ (W2 has an apartment over the road so he passes by from time to time.)

Personally, Windswept would love our hero to do another album of ready mades a la Taxi and for him to write his biography. Both missions he could accomplish without putting himself in harms way.

One things for sure, knowing our hero’s famous Geordie work ethic.
There will be a next act.

Are there any other suggestions from renowned Roxologists ?

Salutations et bon re-lock.

Windswept.

Last edited by Windswept2 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 pm 

My hope is that some enforced isolation replicates the type of conditions that prompted BF to produce the goods on on For Your Pleasure nigh on 50 years ago. Not that I'm looking for a FYP pt2 (or a Taxi pt2 for matter). Good as both those albums were, I'd love to see him come up with something unique and special and maybe the current climate is his opportunity to start delivering that perfect swansong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 am 

Dean wrote:
My hope is that some enforced isolation replicates the type of conditions that prompted BF to produce the goods on on For Your Pleasure nigh on 50 years ago.

Hipsters,

Whilst Dean’s aspirations are highly laughable , W2 is not sure that ‘enforced isolation’ will stimulate our hero’s creative juices - or anybody else’s for that matter - in the same way that street life did and does. Not to mention night life !

That said, one fabulous piece of creativity that did blossom in these dark times was Nick Cave’s amazing ‘Idiot Player’ concert that was streamed live from ‘The Alexander Palace’. What an absolute tour de force that was.

W2 doesn’t know how many of you Ferryistas are Caveists but he suspects the good taste gene will dictate many. If you caught the gig you are doubtless with him in hoping that Bryan recognised the possibilities afforded by the format.

Meanwhile we must all Ferry on if only behind closed doors.

Salutations a tous et bonne sante.

Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:46 am 

Quote:
Whilst Dean’s aspirations are highly laughable

I suspect the laudable but frustrating merits of predictive text is at play here.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:28 pm 

75: the perfect age to enjoy a well-earned retirement

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:32 pm 

Chers amis!

Being an artist myself - of much lesser magnitud than our hero - I can tell you one thing: We never retire! If that is good or not is another story. Being an artist, at least how it has been in my little bubble, is much more a way of life than a work. No work - but no holiday either!
So, of course, our hero is busy with some project during this time, difficult as it may be. If it will bear fruit or not we´ll see. Lately I have been listening to Avonmore in the car. I appreciate it more now than before. I agree with the great pianoman that it is a good album, so many nice melodies, though, unfortunately not always so bright lyrics - and in the car I don´t see the dull cover!
Well, stay safe, and as le grand W2 says, let´s ferry on!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 am 

There were a few days left ... and today's the day:

hApPy BiRtHdAy BrYaN ;) :D 8-) !!

May you stay healthy and creative - all the best from

- Peter (pianoman) -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:
Whilst Dean’s aspirations are highly laughable

I suspect the laudable but frustrating merits of predictive text is at play here.... :lol:

Cher Dean,
U.K. Richard’s assumption is indeed correct.
It is your sentiments that ar laudable and Windswept’s use of technology that is laughable.
Please accept W2’s most profuse apologies and may all your Ferry dreams be granted !
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:52 pm 

Hi everybody, I haven't been around for a while, though I sometimes stopped by, but didn't really feel like I have anything to say. Great to see that everybody is still around and our hero is alive and kicking and celebrating his birthday :D