VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Royal Albert Hall 2020 Out on Friday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:12 pm 

Pianoman - Bravo!

Quote:
I have to say I'm mystified how everything feeds into the main chart!

Puzzles me too Manifesto. Is the only thing missing, that contributes to the overall chart, that new-fangled streaming?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 pm 

pianoman wrote:
My copy of RAH 2020 arrived yesterday. I love this record

- because Bryan's voice at (almost) 75 sounds better than the years before, even without background singers (e.g. Don't Think Twice - an outstanding track),

- because the set list is more varied than the years before (e.g. The Bogus Man),

- because the arrangements allowed his voice the space it needs,

- because I love stale session players (yes, Sentimental Fool, that's why I am a fan of Toto),

- because it shows what we had and never will have again (Roxy Music, e.g. Same Old Scene, the weakest track on the album),

- because the band was indeed able to play perfect re-makes of perfect (Roxy) music (e.g. The Bogus Man - the best track on the album),

- because songs like Just Like You warm my heart,

- because "all proceeds will be shared between the band and crew members",

- because it carries the signature of my musical hero and

- because - who knows - it could be his last record - at least for a long time.

Thank you Bryan Ferry and band/crew - and stay safe because I hope that my last point won't come true 8-)

- pianoman -

We do agree more than you think Pianoman. Agree on the setlist, agree on The Bogus Man (although the strip down to 3 minutes and 59 seconds is regrettable), agree on Just Like You, agree on Same Old Scene, agree on your comment about the last record...

We differ about the voice. And yes Pianoman: I hate Toto (how did you know?)

Have a nice weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
We do agree more than you think Pianoman. Agree on the setlist, agree on The Bogus Man (although the strip down to 3 minutes and 59 seconds is regrettable), agree on Just Like You, agree on Same Old Scene, agree on your comment about the last record...

We differ about the voice. And yes Pianoman: I hate Toto (how did you know?)

Have a nice weekend!

Of course I didn't know that you hate Toto, Sentimental Fool, but what is the opposite of the exuberant creativity (and somehow imperfection) of the first Roxy albums? Toto. Perfect musicians having played on thousands of albums from Streisand to Jackson (whom I hate, by the way) if you add their activities. This band had to be your concept of an enemy :lol: .

- p -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:15 pm 

12 days from the sophisticated streets of London to the
high desert of Arizona. Great set. Great audio. Great performance. And a wonderful gesture to his band and crew.

Attachments:
6B9A5E5B-2417-4199-A05F-2EEA216D757D.jpeg
6B9A5E5B-2417-4199-A05F-2EEA216D757D.jpeg [ 112.17 KiB | Viewed 17297 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 pm 

AzArtist wrote:
12 days from the sophisticated streets of London to the
high desert of Arizona. Great set. Great audio. Great performance. And a wonderful gesture to his band and crew.

Cher AzArtist,
Windswept loves Arizona.
Those Red Rocks of Sedona are so beautiful!
Pleased you are enjoying the album.
W2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:27 am 
Site Owner

I haven't heard the album yet.

I had got to a point that I had seen Bryan & Roxy so many times (130+) in over 20 countries between that and other reasons that I decided that Bryan Ferry live for me will be a transient experience for me.

I have enjoyed every show I have been to but I no longer listen back on anything live in the last 10-15 years or so, be it live albums, bootlegs, Live TV and especially not dodgy YouTube phone camera footage.

I will go to any Roxy related show that time, resources, practicality and other commitments allow me to and I am sure I will enjoy them but it will be a transient experience only.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:15 am 

Hi John,

I can fully understand your point of view as I was never a collector of live recordings. Not that I have seen so many Roxy-related concerts as you have (on the contrary, only 2 x Roxy + 4 x Ferry + one Roxy concert where I was ill / 1980 and one / 2005 when Roxy preferred to play in Berlin instead of Stuttgart).

The thing is that I love studio recordings - they show me the original intention of an artist or a band how a song should sound. And that's why I will once again start to play the complete Roxy/Ferry/Manzanera/Mackay/Eno/801 etc. studio catalogue on my hifi system within the next days.

Nevertheless do I listen to RAH 2020 with great pleasure and more often than I ever did to Live 2015, Viva!RoxyMusic - or the voiceless Jazz Age experiment. The Bogus Man, Casanova, Limbo, Just Like You, Don't Think Twice or Make You Feel My Love are worth a second or even a fifth listening!

And: Why I listen to this live recording could have something to do with the fact that we cannot expect new studio recordings from BF (or RM). So let's love the things we have in this crazy, dangerous and dark times!

- "pianoman" Peter -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:38 pm 

I've never been a huge fan of live albums and have rarely bought any outside of the BF/Roxy releases. Regardless of how many times I've seen both, some have a special place in my affections. 'Viva!' is sheer class and 'The High Road' showcases some brilliant musicianship succinctly over 4 songs, whereas the fuller representation of the Avalon tour, 'Heart Still Beating' hasn't been played since its debut listen, perhaps because it always felt like such an opportunistic release.

The same applies to BF's 'Live 2015' - a souvenir of the groundhog day setlist that, for me, has no hooks and hasn't progressed beyond a first play. Contrasts markedly with the 1974 live album, brimming over with songs I've never heard live before and a remarkable reminder of BF at the height of his vocal powers.

Enter Live 2020. I've enjoyed listening to this album because it's a souvenir of a tour that marked such a welcome change in the setlist. The voice is (ironically) better than 5 years earlier and further forward in the mix and there are some great touches, such as Chris Spedding's exquisite guitar on 'Your Painted Smile' and BF's plaintive harmonica on 'Make You Feel My Love' . Jorja's playing throughout is a delight and Luke Bullen frequently warrants favourable comparison with TGPT ('Pyjamarama' , 'The Bogus Man' ...). Credit too, for ditching some notable hits in favour of including some lesser-performed gems.

Like pianoman, I prefer studio recordings but to the extent I listen to live recordings, I'd say this release is welcome and is something I'll return to in a way I never have with some of its predecessors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:01 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I haven't heard the album yet.

I had got to a point that I had seen Bryan & Roxy so many times (130+) in over 20 countries between that and other reasons that I decided that Bryan Ferry live for me will be a transient experience for me.

I have enjoyed every show I have been to but I no longer listen back on anything live in the last 10-15 years or so, be it live albums, bootlegs, Live TV and especially not dodgy YouTube phone camera footage.

I will go to any Roxy related show that time, resources, practicality and other commitments allow me to and I am sure I will enjoy them but it will be a transient experience only.

J.O'B.

Philosophical Philanderers,

Windswept would never describe his experience of Ferry’s shows as ‘transient.’

Every show is etched in his mind and form some of his most beautiful musical memories. They have played a huge part his appreciation of Ferry’s music and the live recordings bring that excitement flooding back.

Over the years W2 has attended hundreds of shows. Including many iconic gigs: ‘The Who Live In Leeds’, ‘The Stones In Hyde Park’, ‘The Stax Volt Tour’, ‘Hendrix at Kirk Levington’ etc...but no act has matched the constantly evolving creativity of our hero (with or without Roxy).

The live recordings W2 currently has in his collection are :
1974 The Royal Albert Hall.
1976 Viva! Roxy Music.
1983 The High Road
2000 Live In Paris At Le Grand Rex (Transferred To CD from DVD)
2001 Roxy Reunion.
2007 Dylanesque Live. (Transferred from London Sessions DVD)
2012 Olympia Tour Live In Lyon.
2013 An Evening With Bryan Ferry (The Tollwood Tapes )
2015 Bryan Ferry Live.
2020 The Royal Albert Hall.

They are some of the most played albums in W2’s collection.
He is with UKRichard that 2015 is the weakest but the rest are great and Windswept would love our hero to release 2013 as an official album with all the trimmings - for W2, it’s the best.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:29 pm 

Heart Still Beating needs more consideration .

I think it did not work in 1990 for a number of reasons -

Who Roxy Music ?

Why Now ?

And the dreadful title and cover artwork?

Its not Viva!

I'll make a point of playing it this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next