VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cool/endearing moments
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:06 pm 

Good evening fellow aficionados,

I thought it might be fun to suggest a few BF moments I found cool, or perhaps endearing, and see what people thought.

I realise that some are in a Roxy context, so forgive me putting them in the BF section (but I see them as BF touches). Also, apologies for not having all the dates……..help most welcome! Anyway, here goes, and do please argue, correct me, add your own……….

There’s no particular order to these……

1. 27 or 28 October 1974, Newcastle City Hall, singing “Eskimos and Geordies!”.

2. Jools Holland Hootenany 1999, singing “Midnight Special” with Lonny Donegan and Van Morrison. He has the words written on a piece of paper and the face shows terror until he’s finished his solo, and then huge relief (and pride that he did it!). A great harmonica solo at the end. Still on YouTube, seek “Midnight Special Jools Holland”.

3. Every time he said “The great Paul Thompson!”.

4. Not changing the words of “It’s my party”, so he’s singing as a female.

5. A date I can’t track down at the Newcastle City Hall (solo tour). Newcastle were at home to a stronger team that night, I believe in a cup competition. BF a left the stage for one of his little breaks and, when he reappeared, announced the score at that stage, and Newcastle were three of four up. A guy near the front yelled, really clearly, “you better be right, you b*ggar!”. Everyone laughed, but BF corpses so much that he couldn’t sing properly. Very sweet!

6. Roxy reunion tour, 2001. I believe a gig in Glasgow, supplied by a friend in Norfolk who shall remain nameless!

In the really cool section in “If there is something”, where it’s basically a cool drum and bass beat, BF says to the audience “Don’t mind these people, come on forward, let’s have a look at you”. The the familiar high pitched “woo”.

7. 17 December 2010, Absolute Radio interview. Asked whether he knew Kate Moss in real life, he replies “ yes, in real life, and in fantasy life”.

Also asked whether he was slashing the seats on a Bill Hailey tour, he replies, “I was sitting in my grammar school blazer, give me a break!”.

8. 11 March 2000, RAH:

(a) the little dance with himself during the guitar solos in LST (see Willy Billiams video on YouTube (some lovely washboard playing and smiling in the background, btw));

(b) the harmonica solo and lobbing it back to the drum stand to land precisely on the last note.

9. The opening “ahh” on Sunset.

10. The breathing at the end of The Bogus Man.

Just a few random thoughts, but I’m sure you’ll all have more and better……..

All good wishes,

VV

Post subject: Re: Cool/endearing moments
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:16 am 

Cher VV,
What a fabulous selection of Ferry vignettes.
W2 doesn’t think he can remotely match your observational skills but there has been much serendipity in Windswept’s fan worship of all things Ferry basically because of mutual NE origins and the fact that he is, as well as being a fabulous musician, a great guy with a really sharp sense of humour.
First off was Bryan’s regular appearance at Sunderland’s Club Annabel in the early ‘70s. W2 was already aware of him from ‘The Gas Board’ and Newcastle’s Club Agogo scene and used to have great conversations when he stylishly staked out the corner of the top bar.
Second was probably the time W2 spoke to him again at his 2007 Dylanesque after party in Paris. Great and funny trips down memory lane. Much discussion about the NE, Marcus Price, Jackson The Tailor and all that good stuff. Also the hilarity that without knowing it, W2 discovered that his then London apartment was around the corner from Bryan’s studio. The ultimate in unintentional stalking.
Lastly, the great time that was had at his Brighton 2013 afterparty that celebrated his ‘AEWBF’ show.
Yes, a fabulous guy with a sharp intelligence and a great sense of humour.
Long may he prevail.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm 

Re point 6 I was at that Glasgow show. The bouncers had been telling everyone to sit down or they’d be thrown. Bryan obviously could see what was going on. I was 5 rows from the front. The result of Bryan’s request was a charge to the front ant the bouncers bid a hasty retreat. Great moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:42 pm 

At one of the Palladium shows in December 1987 , someone from the audience threw him a packet of cigarettes.
“ I didn’t know you cared” , he quipped.
Avalon_ eyes does not recall the brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:01 pm 

Point 5:
1999. It was close to Xmas, the As Time Goes By tour.

The mags - that's Newcastle fans - were playing the Drury Lane Tappers - that's Tottenham Hotspurs - in a cup game and the Mags won 6-1! Bryan announced the score before his encore.I

Most of the crowd cheered, and you're right about the "owld b*gger" comment.

They obviously weren't huge mag fans as otherwise they would have been at the match.

As a Sunderland fan I shouted "Super Kevin Phillips!!!" cos we'd beaten them twice in recent tumultuous games!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:41 pm 

Quote:
In the really cool section in “If there is something”, where it’s basically a cool drum and bass beat, BF says to the audience “Don’t mind these people, come on forward, let’s have a look at you”. The the familiar high pitched “woo”.

Like Jerry, we were at that show, it was the first Glasgow show on 11th June 2001.

I sent a letter of complaint to Rock Steady Security regarding the stewarding that night which was awful. :(

Bryan is most endearing when he goes off to "Planet Ferry" during a song, especially when he is doing a harmonica solo or brings out the old dance moves.

8-)