VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: As Time Goes By - 25th anniversary 2024
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:45 am 

In favour of a vinyl re-issue.
These songs are superb . Ferry’s tone and vocals , plus excellent support from his players .

Post subject: Re: As Time Goes By - 25th anniversary 2024
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm 

Given the rarity of the original vinyl issue and it's absence from my own collection (anyone looking to sell one? ;) ), I'd also support a vinyl reissue! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:47 pm 

My favourite Ferry album and tour!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:46 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
My favourite Ferry album and tour!

Not my favourite album but, along with the An Evening with Bryan Ferry shows in 2013, definitely my favorite tour. I had low expectations in advance but when the Roxy material started I was blown away. Apparently the audience's great reaction to it was another factor behind the 2001 reunion tour.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:28 pm 

Mes Amis,
Much to celebrate with this anniversary.
W2 vacillates endlessly as to which is the best ‘Great American Songbook’ rendition from a ‘Baby Boomer’.
Is it Robert Palmer’s ‘Ridin’High’, our hero’s ‘ATAP’ or Boz Scaggs’ ‘But Beautiful’ ?
All are magnificent and have their strengths :
Palmer’s voice was still in tip top condition. His choice of songs good and the arrangements and orchestration perhaps closest to the originals. He was also the first with a full album (1992). Set against was his RAH set list which blew what could have been a great show. W2 was in attendance on November 17th 1992 and his determination not to include firm favourites lost the audience. Sad but true. That said, there is little doubt in W2’s mind that this album was the catalyst that inspired Ferry’s collaboration with Colin Good. Ferry was a Palmer fan.
With regard to Boz, his choice of songs was perhaps the most interesting and his vocals are silky smooth. His arrangements were also more stripped back and the album probably appealed most to Jazz enthusiasts. W2 plays this album and its follow up, ‘Speak Low’ a lot. To Windswept’s knowledge Scaggs never toured either album.
As we all know, Ferry’s album launched the third chapter of his career.
The song choices were good if predictable ( some had already appeared on Palmer’s album) but the arrangements were superb and the whole thing came coated in Ferry dust. He really owned the songs.
Furthermore the tour absolutely scaled the heights. Probably the best ever line up and the set list was off the Richter scale. Our hero seamlessly blended Roxy and solo favourites with arrangements that made them sound like Cole Porter favourites. It was superb.
In conclusion W2 thinks Ferry wins by a head. Simply because of the live performances.
If it was judged solely on the albums. He might have been pipped by Palmer.
What thinketh learned Ferryistas ?
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

Last edited by Windswept2 on Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:18 pm 

Merci, W2.
Finalement une publication avec substance!

I have never been a huge fan of Palmer, nor of Scaggs, so for me it´s easy to tell whose album I prefer. And the dvd Live in Paris is a favourite of mine. That one and the Live in Lyon are the most watched on my telly.
So, mes chers amis, have a nice summer. I will attend a classical concert in July with works from Wagner and Mahler. Nothing else is planned this year musically.
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:56 am 

I own all three, Ferry, Palmer and Scaggs. And I love them all, although As Time Goes By is my favourite because everything fits together, the songs, the arrangements and the voice. My second place goes to But Beautiful from Boz Scaggs. The sparse arrangements of the songs are always stunning. And then of course the unforgotten Robert Palmer. Whereas my favourite from him is not included there: Riptide from the album of the same name. By the way, don't forget Robbie Williams. Who you can really forget in this respect is Rod Stewart because his voice doesn't work with the American Songbook ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:17 pm 

I haven't fully heard either the Robert Palmer or Boz albums mentioned, I will make the effort pronto as they sound class....I trust the judgement of W2 and other contributors to this topic. Love and best wishes to you all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:17 am 

pianoman wrote:
I own all three, Ferry, Palmer and Scaggs. And I love them all, although As Time Goes By is my favourite because everything fits together, the songs, the arrangements and the voice. My second place goes to But Beautiful from Boz Scaggs. The sparse arrangements of the songs are always stunning. And then of course the unforgotten Robert Palmer. Whereas my favourite from him is not included there: Riptide from the album of the same name. By the way, don't forget Robbie Williams. Who you can really forget in this respect is Rod Stewart because his voice doesn't work with the American Songbook ...

Mes Amis,
Pianoman a fait un excellent point.
Palmers ‘Riptide’ is absolutely fabulous. One of the greatest ever renditions of a classic by a contemporary artist.
W2 would love to see our hero have a pop at this 1934 Donaldson / Khan
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:23 am 

rendezvous wrote:
I haven't fully heard either the Robert Palmer or Boz albums mentioned, I will make the effort pronto as they sound class....I trust the judgement of W2 and other contributors to this topic. Love and best wishes to you all.

Rendezvous,
Tu es un homme de bon gout .
W2 thinks you will love the Palmer and Scaggs albums also, if you haven’t already listen to Palmer’s take on ‘Riptide’.
Salutations,
W2