VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music - Back catalogue Re-recording - Good idea?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:14 pm 

I would like to hear Roxy Music go back and re-visit some of their previous songs. Except for using Eddie Jobson as a mini orchestra on "A Really Good Time" & "Nightingale" Roxy never used strings to any degree. I would like to hear a Roxyesque by Roxy Music :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music - Back catalogue Re-recording - Good idea?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:12 pm 

I could not agree more - how about "Beauty Queen"? or "Sentimental Fool" or "Prairie Rose" - next tour I could do without BEB or OOTB.....I have heard them SO many times...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:51 pm 

I suggested on another forum some time back, that it might be a neat intro into Roxy Music 9 to include a BRIEF orchestral medley of well known Roxy songs as prelude to the opening number.

I love strings, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:59 pm 
Site Owner

This is a good idea in concept but I think a lot of Roxy fans wouldn't want any time Bryan, Phil, Andy, Paul spend together in a studio would be for the 9th Roxy album.

This is along the lines of a question I always would like to ask Ferry if I ever had the chance. As recording and writing techniques have changed over the years due to technology what songs has he written in the studio multi track layer by layer situation would have been better delevolped in a live stuation like the early stuff and vice versa what early song would have been better with the modern day studio and all its technology.

Can you imagine Bryan going to rehearsals with the band in 1972 and sitting at the piano and saying "Right I have this song, it is 4 bars that keep repeating Fm Db Gb + C it is called Windswept lets jamm it see how it sounds" What would 'Virginia Plain' or 'Would You Belive' sound like if it was just written now in the studio with all the 'toys' of a the studio and layered one musician at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:30 pm 

Zarathustra wrote:
I suggested on another forum some time back, that it might be a neat intro into Roxy Music 9 to include a BRIEF orchestral medley of well known Roxy songs as prelude to the opening number.

I love strings, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I did like the version of A Chance Meeting with Strings from the ATGB tour - I wouldn't mind hearing a few other experiments like this.

Vinny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:24 pm 

Once the 9th RM album has been released they could follow with an album of orchestra arrangments, I like that idea. There are quite a few Roxy tracks that would sound good with a full orchestra backing, Beauty Queen, Sunset, A Really Good Time, If There Is Something, A Song For Europe, Casanova, Whirlwind, To Turn You On, Still Falls The Rain & My Only Love.

Last year I went to see Elvis Costello perform with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. He has turned his hand to a few different genres of music and they all work pretty well with the full orchestra. Watching the Detectives was pretty cool with the RSNO and it was interesting to watch the classical musicians interacting with Elvis.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:44 am 

Bryan already re-recorded his own material (look at he dates of the recordings Let's Stick Together) and the output of b-sides (Manifesto Trash-2)

Don't forget Angel Eyes (Album vs Single)

I'd rather opt for new material

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:26 am 

I think the re-recordings from the 70's/1st album & Casanova were recorded mainly so Ferry could re-coup royalties from single releases.
I am pretty sure at that time that the royalties were shared equaly on a&b sides. Hence Queen nearly splitting up because Roger Taylor earning the same as Freddie for Bohemian Rhapsody.
:geek: