VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Olympia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:17 am 

Hmm ... I'm getting " The Benny Hill show" with really annoying posh "burds".. Who came up with this awful mess ...grinding against wooden poles !!!! It leaves such a feeling of emptiness and disappointment .... I'd be ashamed to watch it in the company of intelligent people . The lyrics to this song are ok ... Bit of a Do The Strand copy but ok ... Surely a supposed pop art buff could do something better than this Yah! Bland Sullen crowd. Also I prefer the original version of the song it suits the vocals ...
REALLY !!! It beggars belief ... " got his mojo back " ... The vocals are over 10 years old !! Like some of the others on this album..... There was less time between the original release and the reissue of Virginia Plain!!! And emphasis in Olympia blurb about the original members of the band being together since FYP ... Hello!! They probably thought originally that they were recording a Roxy album ... Just like the Scissor Sisters did .... Only to have the performances huckled together.
under Ferry's name ... Sorry guys .... just doesn't look( or sound) right

E

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:21 am 

I typed that on my phone ... Hence the occasional mistake !!! Was thinking about my negativity ... I think I'd be more open minded if I hadn't been subjected to that dreadful video ... It shows a lack of taste on his part which is really alarming .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm 

I think it`s early Roxy`s pop art concept that always pisses me off!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Olympia - You Can Dance single and video
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:28 pm 

Stylish video, but ultimately unsatisfying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:47 pm 

Haha am laughing thinking, we wait so long for something,,anything,, and when it comes,, we criticise. Dont watch,, dont listen, dont go,, but we know we will. Some habits are really hard to break.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:42 am 

I too was embarrassed showing this video to friends. The track is OK but it shows no musical (or visual) development over the last 25 years. The bloke is now mid-60's, surely he can come up with some different imagery for the video.

It's also disappointing to see that there's to be no Roxy album, albeit judging by this I'm sure Phil and Andy may have had the final say in that. Best to bow out on the masterpiece, Avalon.

Frantic was, I thought (excuse the pun!), a fantastic album with a superb mix of self-penned and cover tracks. His voice was clear and even the lyrics were good. He was really back to the heights of "Bride". Dylanesque was fine. A good show as well. I'll obviously reserve judgement on Olympia until I've heard more, but at the moment I can't see anything other than mediocre.

I'm not paying £70 or so to see Roxy at these crap venues either.

Post subject: I WAS RIGHT (SORT OF)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:26 pm 

For reference, see my post at page 1.

St. Learraine answered:

"Hugo Riefmannstahl"? The leader of Kraftwerks road-crew on the "Autobahn-tour"????

Leni Riefenstahl, for matters sake! I just messed up the letters, that`s all. See below:

From Roxyrama`s "Manifesto" section:

A Triumph Of The Will
Posted on 01/07/10 at 10:45:31 am, 161 words
Bryan Ferry has announced the name of his forthcoming album to be 'Olympia'.

Although the album is probably named after the area of London where Ferry's studios are located I can't help noticing that Olympia is also the name of a famous film about the 1936 Olympics by Nazi propagandist filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl.

You may remember that Bryan got himself into a bit of hot water when he praised Riefenstahl's work a few years back. Although Ferry clearly spoke from an art history perspective, the UK press were quick (well relatively, it took six weeks for them to notice Ferry's comments in German publication Welt am Sonntag) to inaccurately paint him as some kind of Nazi ideologist. One paper did have to make a humiliating climbdown.

Could it be that by choosing his new album title Bryan, who frequently uses film as a source of material and enjoys wordplay and double-entendres in his work, is having a little joke at his detractors?

Post subject: Re: I WAS RIGHT (SORT OF)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am 

[quote="le freak"
Could it be that by choosing his new album title Bryan, who frequently uses film as a source of material and enjoys wordplay and double-entendres in his work, is having a little joke at his detractors?[/quote]

You might have a point :?

There probably will be interviews on this choice of title due to promotion, maybe he will reveal refferences and sources of inspirations. Time will show..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 pm 

Could be named after an American Beer. It's the water!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Brewing_Company

At least it opens the possibility for a sponsor if he has an American tour.

Repackage/Retail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:19 pm 

It has been suggested on another RM list that the album title/cover has been inspired by the painting "Olympia" by Manet and I think that seems the most likely theory.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/courses/rschwa ... lympia.htm

8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next