VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Book Rights
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 pm 

Totally agree with SB on this one. Roxy Rule ok!!! Will go to the Glasgow gig but would much rather see Roxy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:54 pm 

Mes Amis,
Its interesting that a book thread has resulted in renowned Roxologists coming out of the closet to declare their undying preference for all things Roxy.
I would urge those involved not to be ashamed of their confessions.The church of Roxology is broad and I'm sure our hero will dedicate a significant part of his coffee table tomb - if that is what it is to be - to those halcyon years.
For my part, I have to confess to burning my feather boa years ago and replacing it with a silk knitted tie from A&S.
Although I would doubtless attend further reunions (providing they are seated - I don't do fields. And not at the O2 - I don't do impersonal).After their note perfect but lacklustre FYP performance in Sydney, were they sleep walked their way through a phenomenal set list. I have to say that I think the flame has burnt out.
Indeed, when I look back over time my best gigs were:
1) ATGB.
2) Frantic
3) Roxy re-union 2001.
My strong preference is therefore that he continues to innovate and I for one, can't wait to see TBFO in action. They are the absolute business.
Regards,
Windswept

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:11 pm 

...as I've said before, there's enough material on this site that could fill a book. Team BF will take forever as mentioned by Ian. We'll all be dead by then.

There's so much good stuff written by some brilliant minds. You know who you are.

Who's got the gumption here?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 am 

OK, the origins of this story don't rest with BF but, assuming there's a germ of truth in it, it looks like something else that's either going to be horribly late or won't see the light of day at all. Certainly Autumn 2014 seems completely out of the picture, given it doesn't feature on booksellers' sites, some of which have Pre-Orders into 2015 available.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:45 pm 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
For a Roxologist, patience isn't a virtue, it's a necessity but the wait is always worth it. N'est-ce pas?
a bien tôt,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:40 am 

The deluxe reissue of"Avonmore" with a book of tour photography leaves me wondering whether this project withered like the Deluxe reissue of "Roxy Music."

I imagine the market is quite niche, but a proper coffee table retrospective book of photo archives and essays has such obvious potential.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:02 pm 

I agree, Wockawocka, and look forward to a pictorial career retrospective one day.

The 2013 idea probably died because of BF's failure to meet the publishers' deadline (he was busy with the AEWBF tour); the perfectionist in him causes him to struggle with target dates, even when they're self-imposed! ;)

I'm sure there are several books worth of material to sort through and edit down for one beautiful tome, so we can but hope...

As for the deluxe 40th anniversary boxes, it sounds like much of the groundwork had been done before BF left Virgin, so, unless there are contractual wrinkles to iron out, I'd imagine those might be closer to the launch pad than some here fear. Fingers crossed... :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:41 pm 

wockawocka wrote:
I imagine the market is quite niche, but a proper coffee table retrospective book of photo archives and essays has such obvious potential.

Forensic Ferryistas,
Windswept fears that the insightful wockawocka is correct.
The Avonmore special edition will prove to be very niche whilst a coffee table retrospective or a full blown biography would have obvious potential.
That said, a coffee table tomb that simply represents photographs that Roxologists, Ferryistas or even musicologists have seen a million times via tour books and other presentations isn't that exciting for Windswept either.
That is why W2 would like to propose that consideration be given to illustrating a retrospective at least in part with line drawings.
This technique proved incredibly impactful with the fabulous ATGB tour book and used correctly and with the right artist it could help animate a wonderful ArtRock retrospective of our hero's career.
His image across the years both with Roxy and as an individual performa has been so strong, it just lends itself to this approach.
Peut-Être David Downton is l'homme for the job?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:55 pm 

"coffee table tomb"

Is that a typo or a wonderfully clever take on the whole "picture book" idea? Either way, I love it! Well done WS2!

I also love the fact that this thread got resurrected from the swamps of 2013 because it is a reminder of how things are bandied about in Ferry World and then just drift off into the ether...

As for me, I'll be first in line at Amazon to buy the book, but only if it features "Pit Ponies" in the title. That, of course, is where every good story about BF must begin...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:47 pm 

DCJ wrote:
"coffee table tomb"

Is that a typo or a wonderfully clever take on the whole "picture book" idea? Either way, I love it! Well done WS2!

Cher DCJ,
Windswept did hesitate with his little "jeux de mots" but frankly if studio one marketing continue to regurgitate visuals from times gone by, he fears that this is what they will finish up with.
W2 was more than a little disappointed by the 'Avonmore' tour book.
Apart from a summary history from Michael Bracewell and some band bios, the rest was lifted from previous works and there has to be a limit to this.
Standards are quite high when it comes to rock retrospectives.
W2 did buy the Weller book and although expensive (£295), it is a thing of great beauty and does justice to a fabulous career. It's hand bound in leather, has over 800 photos, is animated with hand written text, has an exclusive vinyl and both Paul and Lawrence Watson signed all 2000 copies. A real legacy piece that will doubtless be cherished by both fans and Paul's family alike.
Windswept would love to see The Bonny Lad do something at that level. After all, it was he that put the art into rock!
Salutations,
W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next