It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ferry Sønderborg 2013 review 2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 am 

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/75558

5 stars out of 6.

Google says:

"The great aristokat

People are wrapped in blankets and windbreakers . Close packed grandstand with beer, wine and possibly the last barbecue sausage is expected in the company of a few heating bands. In the last ten minutes , the audience soaked up with a quiet atmosphere jazz from the speakers , we lean back on the road to the right decade. Scene light when barely changing to a dark blue , before the audience , wake up and spin their enthusiasm . Expectations are high and excited listeners have an average age that suggests that Ferry has been a faithful part of puberty and first class parties.

The eight- man high orchestra enters and breaks immediately into a merry jazz. The harsh tenor trumpet lead and when to play three songs before Bryan Ferry walk in and sing his jazzy version of " Love Is The Drug " accompanied by two singers in fringe dresses.

With the graying hair combed back , a large gray scarf of the well-fitting suit jacket, both hands on the microphone rod and heel that shuffling count eighth -stroke , he grabs our stay cold hands and leads us back to the fresh , jazz happy 1920s . Spotted on røgmaskinen is ring-shaped , so the whole scene is shrouded in big, heavy smoke rings . I feel I should have taken long elegant gloves ( also because of the cold ) and a long black cigarette holder with the occasion .

An incredible musical mutt
However, it is not jazz that led Ferry up to the stage and charts. He started his career in 1970 when he founded the band Roxy Music with bassist Graham Simpson . An art-rock band that has released eight albums , but disbanded in 1983. Since then, Ferry driving his solo career with 14 albums , and he has recently founded The Bryan Ferry Orchestra.

The British singer / songwriter is fascinated by antebellum with jazz in the driver's seat . For a time , which is also known as "The Jazz Age " , which he has called his first album with his new band. The album is a mixed handful of Ferry's best tracks from both Roxy Music's debut album and his latest solo album "Olympia" . They have been a tough but loving hand of the orchestra and sound tonight as 20s amazing jazz, as they had never been anything . They are instrumental, but during the tour here he sings anyway with a few of the songs. For example, with " Love Is The Drug " . The original is good and a song that is dangerous to tamper with . It can very easily go wrong when you start tinkering with the classics , but Ferry and the orchestra is with good results from it. This is in fact the whole album. They have struck the balance perfectly. I get the feeling that it is a brand new , unique number, but at the same time it has a comfortable portion of the pleasant familiarity .

The band in the back pocket
Tribune cribs with the " Love Is The Drug " that only gets better the combination of the jazzy instrumental version and Bryan Ferry's cooing vocals.
Halfway through the song he surprises with an abrupt transition to Roxy Music's original version . Band members are unnoticed listed onto the stage and takes over with a hefty rock performance. On drums is Cherisse Ofuso - Osei , who throws with his head , so the curls flying . The drumhead really get my ass kicked . Attention will be presented to the talented young guitarist Oliver Thompson, who serves up a solo in the good 70'erstil that from the time the song was new.

The concert is no longer a jazz lounge with nervous velvet and chandelier on the ceiling. The band is just being hot and it 's not just Ferry's own recipes that are found . Ferry has always been fond of covers. Particularly Bob Dylan is represented in the evening , and as " Knocking on Heaven's Door " floats out of the speakers , the audience is comfortable in girlfriend lumps and hold hands under the stars.

A man with a heart of silver
Also his cover of John Lennon's " Jealous Guy" is my woman heart to melt a little . Although he whistles stunning in its flute solo, fit it might very well to the song's personality. One can not help but have a little sorry for him when he sings " I did not mean two hurt you / I'm sorry att I made you cry / Oh no , I did not want to hurt you / I ' m just a jealous guy " - then it is OK to whistle bad.

As " Jealous Guy" whistle blows , the Ferry just leave us with "the jazz guys " in five minutes. He leaves the stage . Jazz takes back over and choir are Bobbie Gordon and Jodie Scantlebury launches into a lively solo charleston . The legs jerking , fringe flick around the body in tact, and a huge smile is smeared all over your face . Immediately we are back in the ballroom with fishnet stockings , boas , and pearl necklaces . There danced by , and the orchestra will return to the heavy lazy jazz.

Bryan Ferry is facing fresh back, now in a slightly longer jacket. He clears his throat and announces that now he wants to play a song by Van Morrison . A strong applause from the audience , and then he started with " Crazy Love " . The man really knows how to give his covers his personal touch . Ferry is known for its special vocal , his crooning . His voice is distorted so that it has a quivering hoarse and shaky voice. When he stands there in its grand figure with closed eyes and wrinkled brows and growls like a fox - one silver fox - can not do anything but just stand and be happy .

Despite his age of 67 years, Ferry not lost an ounce of its sassy, ​​street boyish charm. He was about to heat up, and the energy grew for each song that went . In the last issue rocked the grandstand with as a stepped sea in windy weather , and he bowed by an adult ovation when he was on top. He was stingy with the encore - it was none of . On the other hand , he was given a few high- fives to the next .

Ferry managed to take us on a journey 90 years back in time, to a credible evening in early 20th century characters. At the same time he managed to merge it with his 70s rock in a natural way - I noticed it even not even as " NYC " switched from jazz version to the original version.

Bryan Ferry was offered fall welcomed in style.