VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Sometimes)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:34 pm 

What's the sudden fixation with this song? It was played on the 'Dylanesque', 'Frantic' and 'As Time Goes By' tours so surely some of you youngsters must have heard it played live before? Also, there are already three other Dylan songs in the current UK set!

Post subject: Re: A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Sometimes)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:45 pm 

So, one person's preference makes it a "fixation"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:34 pm 

I might be considered one of those who has been talking up Hard Rain. However, I only mentioned it in my post on the Glasgow gig because, as things start winding up at a concert, most of us hope for just one more song. Knowing that Bryan has been tagging this on at the end at some gigs then we were either going to get Hard Rain or nothing at all after Editions of You. Unfortunately for us who attended last night, it was the latter. However, that takes nothing away from the splendour of the event and anybody who hadn't been following the tour set lists would have gone home with their appetite fully sated. I was just being greedy.

I agree that Dylan is over-represented on the set list and logically there is a case for dropping at least one of them - but they are all delivered so well that it is hardly a burden to sit through them. There are quite a few songs that I would rather see drop out than any of the Dylan covers.

It also struck me that The Bride Stripped Bare is well represented on this tour. I certainly have no complaints about that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm 

It was not played at the Glasgow show in the ATGB or Frantic tour so maybe that is why we wished for it. It is one of his best solo singles and has hardly been played to death like certain other songs included it the set. As Avondale said it has been added in some shows so it would have been nice. I have been to every Roxy/ferry tour since 1974 and have heard the song played live twice only.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:40 pm 

It was good to hear "The Bride Stripped Bare" being well represented as that album is usually ignored. "When She Walks in the Room" was especially excellent.
I think one of the Dylan songs could have been dropped and what happened to "Re-Make/Re-Model"? I was looking forward to hearing that, the BF version worked well with the jazz line up.
Maybe BF and the band were too tired to add one more song, they were going mad at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 pm 

I think perhaps Bryan was protecting his voice as for the first time on this tour he has to perform 3 nights in a row, Glasgow, Edinburgh the York. Up until now it has been 2 nights on, one night off.

As previous posters have said, it not a "fixation", just a nice bonus if it gets an outing at the end of the set.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 pm 

Hipsters,
Finishing at the RAH with the first track from his first solo album did feel particularly poignant and I have to say it sounded as fresh then as it did forty years ago.
Perhaps he's holding it in reserve for audiences that really work for it?
Regards,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:35 pm 

Touché, Windswept :lol: :lol: :lol: