VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Now the tour is over, I'm so tired.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Owner

Now that the tour is over an we need something to talk about ahead of the new album BF said in interviews will be released in May

Is there an album by someone else that you wish BF had made, in that the style and approach to the album would sound great if BF did similar.

For me that album is 'Secrets Of The Beehive' By David Sylvian. I know there have been Sylvian/Ferry comparisons before but for me that was a short period of his band period with Japan. The Sylvian solo albums are as far away from Ferry/Roxy album as any other artist in my opinion.

Secrets Of The Beehive is an album of originals by Sylvian. The sound of the album is very organic in that most instruments are acoustic and the string arrangments by Sakamoto are subtle but stunning. The mood and sound of the album is very dark and melancholy.

I would love Ferry to do an album like this with very few electronic or affected instruments but at the same time not sounding like folk music or the London Symphony Orchestra does rock either.

If you have not heard this album, give it half a dozen plays as it takes a wee while to get under your skin but once it does it never leaves you. It's in my top 5 albums ever.

There are 2 versions, the original had a re-recrded version of Forbidden Colours to close the album, this version is the better I think.

Anyone else got a suggestion for an album you wih BF had made?

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Now the tour is over, I'm so tired.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:29 pm 

Not sure of an album as such but I would liked it if he did more re-recordings of Roxy material. For example I wish Roxy had gone in the studio, (at the time of the tours) and recorded studio takes of the 'Viva' arrangements of Pyjamarama' and 'Both Ends Burning'.

Also I really liked Paul Carrack's arrangement of 'Oh Yeah' from the F & B tour. It would be interesting if they replaced Bryan's piano parts with Carrack's and kept the rest of the original recording - something Colin Good could do easily enough even now.

I also think they should have recorded a studio version of 'Like A Hurricane' and possibly even 'Can't Let Go' at the time of the Avalon tour.

Many will see this as pointless, but I see it as an opportunity missed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:37 pm 

Bowie's The Next Day would be a perfect example.

Anyway no Jazz, Dylan or Avalon re-re-re-re-make...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:41 pm 

John,
I never knew you were into sylvian! Me too, big time, especially from Japan Tin Drum onwards, but particularly as a solo artist....and beehive is the magnum opus (tho I like his stuff with Fripp too). Can't get enough of this truly great artist.

anyway back to the challenge: future days, Can. I reckon bf could do some great avant garde instrumental and subdued/low mix vocalising.
Another one, but in a different direction: "ferry does lydon". I know john loves ferry, but both are masters, and it'd be hilarious to hear (early) ferry vocal style doing public image (the track) or any of the great nmtb songs from The Pistols. After all Matlock, vicious, jones (big time) and recently lydon all acknowledged their debt....wouldn't it be great to hear bf cover their stuff too?
Daft idea...but, let me dream :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:42 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
Bowie's The Next Day would be a perfect example.

Anyway no Jazz, Dylan or Avalon re-re-re-re-make...

Agreed on all counts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 pm 

Was a big Japan Fan to I will put the cat among the pigeons I though as I know he spent time in France he should do bit not a full album of Gainsbourg well you never know could be good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:07 pm 
Site Owner

laurag wrote:
he should do bit not a full album of Gainsbourg well you never know could be good

BF must be a fan of Gainsbourg as he did recordone of his songs years ago but it was never released.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 pm 

Mes Amis,
Interesting question posed by the host of this tremendous cyber hall but I truthfully have difficulty getting my head around the idea.
Surely great concept albums are that because the artists that cut them are also great — at least in somebody's opinion?
This makes it difficult for me to wish that our hero had done one of my other hero's concept albums — if you get my meaning?
Just as I could never imagine Boz Scaggs - one of my other favourites — making Mamouna.
I can however, see were J O'B is coming from. There is something Ferryesque about "Secrets Of The Beehive" albeit I think that Sylvian's big influence was probably the incredible Scott Walker?
When it comes to specific songs, I don't have the same mental block and there are many tracks I'd love our hero to sprinkle some Ferry-dust on. Two specifics that are never out of my head are; Richard Thompson's 'For Shame Of Doing Wrong' and Grinderman's 'Palaces Of Montezuma.
IMNSHO both of these songs are just made for him and every time I play them, I imagine his interpretation and I know he would absolutely nail them.
In terms of general direction, I'd love BFO to live a parallel life and I'd welcome further Jazz interpretations. I'd also welcome him exploring more traditional songs a la 'Carrickfergus'.
One things for sure, after the phenomenal critical success of AEWBF, the Taste Tarantula will be firing on all cylinders!
Regards,
Windswept

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:12 pm 

Interesting idea but I really don't want to answer.

ROXY MUSIC should have made Low and/or Heroes (David Bowie)

Ferry should unmake all his solo stuff but just keep TFT, ATAP, BSB and just for my own pleasure Taxi.

Happy New Year

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:42 pm 

BF must be a fan of Gainsbourg as he did recordone of his songs years ago but it was never released.

J.O'B.[/quote]

The superb posthumous Gainsbourg dvd covered his entire career (excluding, bizarrely, "Je T'aime ma non plus" with Jane Birkin) and I was struck by a particular TV show appearance: in the introduction of SG and the song title the font/calligraphy was identical to what BF used later on Bete Noire - I love the way BF makes subtle references to his influences.