VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dublin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:45 pm 

Anyone else here heading for Dublin in June?

I really fancied the "acoustic plus orchestra" gig in Leipzig when it was announced, but my plans fell apart on cost grounds, so a Dublin visit became a bit of a no brainer for me.

I spent too long weighing up the choice between cheaper (55 euros) tickets for both Irish gigs or a good (80 euros) ticket for one gig only; in the end the only cheap ones left for the second gig were almost behind the stage (sometimes known as choir seats), so I booked for the front row of the first gig only.

I hope I might get the chance to spend the "savings" (i.e. what would have been the second ticket & extra hotel cost) on the Madrid gig, when the tickets finally go on sale (really liked the look of the venue in Barcelona too, but weekend flights are far more expensive, sadly).

Will have some daylight hours to kill in Dublin on the Wed or Thur, so might do the Guinness brewery tour, unless anyone wants to spend their afternoon eating, drinking & discussing all things Roxy & BF? ;)

Post subject: Re: Dublin
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:50 pm 

Will have some daylight hours to kill in Dublin on the Wed or Thur, so might do the Guinness brewery tour, unless anyone wants to spend their afternoon eating, drinking & discussing all things Roxy & BF?

No replies to my original post, so looks like I'll be Billy No Mates... ;)

If anyone fancies a Guinness or two, I should have some free time pre- and post-gig on Wed or early on Thur afternoon before flying home.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:54 pm 

I am trying not to feel too envious but it's a struggle :( I really wish I was going :cry: I hope you get a great show with some hidden treasures and don't sink too much of the black stuff!!

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:27 pm 

Roxy wrote:
I am trying not to feel too envious but it's a struggle :(

:lol:

Same here, Roxy! I hope the concert will be recorded and broadcasted or published on DVD. Have a great time, Smudge!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:43 pm 

Busy rehearsing! from Cherisse's Twitter account.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm 

"a smorgasboard of genres" See link:

http://www.goldenplec.com/bryan-ferry-n ... june-2014/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:12 pm 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Last night was tremendous!
It was billed as special and special it was.
Mme W et moi-meme had super fourth row centre seats and the Dublin Concert Hall proved to be a great, intimate venue with fabulous acoustics.
The Rte and conductor were truly amazing. The depth of sound of strings enhanced the music we all know and love in a phenomenal way .
I don't know if this show will ever hit the road. It must be hugely expensive to stage but it would be great if I all you Ferryistas out there got a chance to experience it.
Although the whole set was special, some songs that benefited more from the treatment than others.'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes', 'When She Walks In The Room', 'Reason Or Rhyme' (complete with sumptuous new intro),'Carrickfergus', 'More Than This', 'Casanova' and 'Tokyo Joe' being cases in point.
The evening also included some of the best renditions that I've ever seen. Specifically,'When She Walks In The Room','More Than This' and 'Carrickfergus' (there was also something particularly poignant about hearing that last song in Ireland).
As for the new band well, they are very tight. That said, do they have the soul of some of his previous outfits? Last night yes, as a stand alone affair — the debate will doubtless rage.
One thing's for sure, this format demands to be filmed and released on DVD & CD and is up there with ATGB and AEWBF.
Was it better than the aforementioned? Tough question — they are all different ways of presenting great work and perhaps that's the point.
Our hero continues to innovate when many rest on their laurels.
We are so lucky to have him and certainly, last night was a solid testimony to the fact that he is one of, if not the most important artist of our times and BFWS was certainly the best €80 I've ever spent!
a bien tôt,
Windswept.
Ps. Remark of the night from Mme.W - "Doesn't he play with that nice Mr.Eno any more? God Help Me!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:42 pm 

Merci beaucoup pour cette critique, Monsieur Windswept2. I was extremely curious to hear something about Dublin, thank you! I can imagine how overwhelming this concert must have been. Perhaps some day there will be a blu ray, dvd, cd set ...

Concerning Mrs Windswept's remark: I regret the withdrawal of Mr. Eno since 41 years. Please, don't be too angry with her because of that question :mrgreen: .

Salutations d'Allemagne,

- pianoman -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:40 am 

Concert review/The Irish Independent online

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 69444.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:05 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Concert review/The Irish Independent online

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 69444.html

Mes Amis,
This review refers to the first night when evidently there were a couple of sound issues during "Hard Rain" and some discussion about the equilibrium between the band and the orchestra.
Happily, by the time Windswept arrived on Thursday, any arrangement issues had been well and truly resolved and the production was pretty much perfect.
One thing I doubt from this review is the journalist's assertion that our hero "shuffled" on stage - he certainly didn't "shuffle" anywhere. He strode onto the stage like a panther on the way to Annabel's!
Other than that the independent captured the evening quite well.
a bien tôt,
Windswept