Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - Sara Cox Show - 10th Nov,BBC Radio 2,from
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:20 pm 

8 Minute chat here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/clips/p02bj9tn

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:45 pm 

Mes Amis,
That renowned Roxologist, our very own 'Roxysiren' featured on this one with a great question:
RS: Is there any other band you'd have like to have played in?
BF: 'Velvet Underground'.
Great question — great answer. Bravo a tous!
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 pm 

Is there any record/evidence of BF and Lou Reed ever interacting with one another. Just wondering.

Like a lot of people, BF frequently name checks the VU as an inspiration but I'm not aware that he ever had any direct relationship with Lou (or John Cale, or any other members of the band). Lou was definitely a part of the London scene in mid-'72 (when he recorded Transformer with Bowie and Ronson as producers) . Did BF's and Lou's paths craoss at that time? Just wondering. Perhaps it's discussed by Micheal Bracewell in one of his books.

BF's cover of the VU's What Goes On (on Bride/Bare) is pretty bland and predictable, but the cover of All Tomorrow's Parties on Taxi is quite good and really seems to capture the right tone and texture...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 pm 

Windswept, I hope this will not be a disappointment to you to know that the question asked by Roxysiren which Sara put to Bryan was from me. Roxysiren is my Twitter account name and one which I use for some other internet things when Roxy is taken. I have used it for some years now and it is strange when I see it here but not my post.

I do hope the VRMF member RoxySiren doesn't think I am trying to steal their identity! :)

That aside I was delighted when the question was picked and Bryan commented that the name sounded "legit". :) As well as VU he also mentioned Pink Floyd.

The full question I tweeted was :- "If you had not formed the brilliant Roxy Music, is there any other band you might like to have been a member of?"

8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:40 pm 

Hmmm.

He could have said King Crimson, because didn't he audition as vocalist for KC and that is how he became introduced to EG Management and EG Records (which subsequently signed Roxy Music).

Of course, the idea of BF singing in somebody else's band was/is seemingly anathema to BF. Even though RM was "his" band (just ask Eno...) he still felt he didn't have enough control and that's why he set out to be a solo artist. And if we follow this chain long enough, it will get us to the recently concocted ensemble known to some as Roxy Lite...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 am 

There are better Roxy bookworms than I, DCJ, who will confirm whether or not it was in the Bracewell tome, but I'm sure I read that BF and some or all of the other Roxy guys went to a Lou Reed gig in London in the early 70s. I think the show was at the Scala cinema in King's Cross.

I don't think BF ever worked with any of the Velvets, although Eno & Phil certainly worked with both Nico & John Cale when they were Island labelmates in the 70s (e.g. Nico's album The End & Cale's trilogy of Slow Dazzle, Fear & Helen Of Troy). Eno, Nico & Cale also released 1 June 1974 with Kevin Ayers.

Apologies if that's dragged us all a bit off piste!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:17 pm 

Roxy wrote:
Windswept, I hope this will not be a disappointment to you to know that the question asked by Roxysiren which Sara put to Bryan was from me.

The full question I tweeted was :- "If you had not formed the brilliant Roxy Music, is there any other band you might like to have been a member of?"

8-) 8-)

Cher Roxy,
How could I be disappointed by such a great question?
Sorry I slightly misquoted it but it made me think what a great interview could be had if the questions were as good as yours!
Obviously, our hero is hyper-active on the PR front with the 'Avonmore' launch but with a couple of notable exceptions, the interviews have been the same old same old.
Frankly, I don't blame Geordie's favourite son for this. I'm 100% persuaded it's down to the quality and preparedness of the interviewer.
Back to his response to your question, I was slightly surprised by it albeit, 'The Velvets' were always hugely rated by musicians. The Feather Boa wearer is a great fan and I suppose the Andy Warhol connection forever enhances their artistic legacy. Personally, I only really ever liked a couple of their tracks and 'All Tomorrow's Parties' was one of them and I have to say our hero's interpretation is amazing and one of my favourite ready mades.
Encore une fois - bravo for the question.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:53 pm 

With early Eno, the connection to the Velvet Underground is quite apparent. But with BF I never discerned much of a musical connection with the VU.

From a visual arts perspective I can certainly see why BF would appreciate the VU because of the Andy Warhol connection - the band pictures featured on Stranded definitely draw upon a Warhol-inspired aesthete.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm 

:D
In the very old Avalon discussion group I was The Siren. That was taken on VRM. So I became RoxySiren here. We all just borrow names. I'm delighted that one of our fellows posed such a good question: well done.

BTW...I wish I had used the handle The Bogus Man (but again, it was "taken")