VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: THE DYLANESQUE TOUR MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:56 pm 

Good Morning to all Fellow Roxyologists and Ferryistas. It's Lori.
Here is My promised post about Bryan Ferry's Dylanesque Tour that I want to share Here. This Tour is another Tour that The United States Of American SHOULD have gotten.
Bryan Ferry devotes a entire Covers Album To Bob Dylan. However He does not bring The Dylanesque Tour to The Country Where Bob Dylan was born and raised in. Bryan Ferry does a few American Television Promotional Spots for The Dylanesuq Album. Plus He has A Meet And Greets with Fans to sign Copies of it At J & R Records in New York City. To have A entire Covers Album devoted To One of America's most legendary and Iconic Musicians Who was and is a Geniious Poet Then NOT bring that actual Tour in question to America to Me was just plain not FAIR. In My Mind it was also Un-Excusable.
It was also wrong from A Ethical and Moral and Consious stand point too. I know We Viva Roxy Music Message/Discussion Board Members Here have touched on the reasons Why.
I can officially De-uink the first Reason. Bryan said that His Dylanesque bad was too BIG to bring it to America. I looked Up The Dylanesque Tour Link Right Here at Viva Roxy Music. Turns Out He had ONLY A 8-Piece Band for it. Which is the EXACT same size as His current Can't Let Go Tour Band is.
Unless Bryan Ferry's back-Up Band for The Dylaneque Tour made the band too large. The factors of a Bad Economy and A Bad Exchange Rate Yes I agree would have made it difficult.
What would Bryan Ferry have had to do in order to have brought The Dylanesque Tour to America in spite of Those 2 factors?
He still would have had His First Set of Divorce Bills to pay from Lucy. One would think that He would have wanted American money to help with that.
Unless the Money He saved from NOT bringing The Dylanesque Tour to American afforded Him to be able to write and record and produce The Olympia Album, to afford the expensive Photo-Shoot Session for The Olympia Album Cover with Kate Moss.
Also to be able to make The Making Of Olympia Album Documentary.
Plus to be able to afford The Rock The Rabbit Photo-Shoot Session with The Play Boy Bunnies.
These things Bryan Ferry may have wanted to do more.
Also to perhaps do more expansion and Re-Make Re-Model of His Studio. Add more to it.
Plus to be able to afford to perform His Private Concerts for Corporations and Companies.
IMHO Bryan Ferry does not want to conduct significant Tours of America is because He has a strong dislike for His significantly smaller and nicher Audience in America. So He stays in The U..k. to perform for The Home-Base Fans and He performs in Eastern and Western Europe Where He has a significantly bigger and better Audience to perform to.
I mean why not perform to Audiences Who really do Love and care for and about You and really do admire and appreciate Your Art and Music the best Right?
Rather than come to America and perform to lack luster Audiences Who don't know You and Your Art and Music as well.
I understand that Bryan Ferry is a God in The U.K. and all through out Europe and He is not in America.
However He should not have allowed the 'Bean Counters" to prevent Him from doing what would have been Right for The American Audience in bringing The Dylanesque Tour to America Where it Right fully belonged to be PLAYED and PERFORMED in. Ditto for The Jazz Age Tour Years later.
The American Audiences deserve to have His biggest and best Concert Tours/Shows too.
Just because We are significantly smaller does not mean We can't Give Him a Good Show too!
After all We Americans KNOW how to Rock and Roll! We wrote the Book on it!
Love to all Who post Here in Cyber Halls Of Justice, Lori.

Post subject: Re: THE DYLANESQUE TOUR MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 am 

Good Evening to All Fellow Roxyologists and Ferryistas! It is Lori. I want to share some more Thoughts and Feelings about The Dylanesque Tour. He should have approached it in this way and manner, This is Their Musicians Music that My-Self and My current Band are performing and playing. Bob Dylan is a American Musican and Artists. I cannot on Concious or Moral or Ethical Gournds deny The U.S.A. Market this Tour. It is not Right or fair.
This was One of Two Golden Opportunities that presented Them Selves to Bryan Ferry to be able to grow and expand His Fan-Base in The U.S.A Market, and He did not take advantage of Them. Bryan Ferry did not give The Dylanesque Tour the benefit of the doubt by " Taking A Chance" with it to see it could be succsessful in America. More importantly He did not give Us Yanks a chance to see how We would have reacted to it. I am convinced beyond all " Reason Or Rhyme " that Musicians are just like Actors, They need Agents to advise and guide Them on how to best take most advantage of opportunities that present Them Selves to Them at various times in Their Careers. Someone should have told Bryan Ferry " Hey Bryan, lets take The Dylanesque Tour to America, They might like this, this is a opportunity to grow and expand Your Fan-Base There."
"Give The American Audience the chance with it and see how it does."
They might surprise You.
Needless to say The Dylanesque Tour was not brought to America.
May I remind Everyone here that Duran Duran brought One of Their most ambitious and most experimental Projects that albeit was Their most controversial among Their Fan-Base ever in Their History To America ' The Red Carpet Massacre" Tour. This was occurring during the same Time-Frame as Bryan Ferry's Dylanesque Tour Era was. Between 2005-2010. Despite A then Bad Economy and Bad Exchange Rate.
U2 also brought Their "No Line On The Horizon" Tour to America during that same Time Frame too.
Why was Duran Duran's "Red Carpet Massacre" Tour controversial? Because they experimented with R&B and Hip-Hop Music.
With a little Rap thrown in.
So Non-American Artists can Tour The U.S.A. Market despite A Bad Economy and A Bad Exchange Rate You have to think of ways to make it WORK. Both Duran Duran and U2 did.
I mean No dis respect Here in These very Sacred and Hallowed Cyber Halls Of Justice to both Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry.
I am just A American Fan of Bryan Ferry's sharing My Thoughts and insights.
All of my best To You Lori.

Post subject: Re: THE DYLANESQUE TOUR MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:23 am 

Hi Lori
While we would all like to think that Bryan does things solely for artistic reasons I am afraid that in the end money talks. The way he has apparently embraced doing corporate shows in recent years vouchs for that. Towards the end of the 90s he had record companies rejecting albums because they didn't hear a single on it, ATGB being released by Virgin Germany due to apathy elsewhere - all of it adds up to the impression rightly or wrongly that there was little support from any of the record labels for his work. He was quoted as saying that in the mid 70s the band cut down on touring, that something had to go and unfortunately the US was the territory that was cut back on. Did Roxy and/or Bryan ever become more than a cult act in the US? The feeling was that they weren't prepared to spend months touring in the US to establish a presence. Maybe if Bryan hadn't rejected "Don't You Forget About Me" his profile might have increased but I think by then it was all a bit too little too late.

I can't imagine Bryan ever expected Dylanesque as an album to be a big seller, more of a personal project. I remember being disappointed at the time it was announced as there'd been mutterings of Roxy studio activity at the time and I hoped the next release would be new Roxy material rather than Dylan covers. It's an album I rarely play now, though it has its moments. For me the highlight of the Royal Albert Hall show I saw on that tour was finally getting to hear Love Me Madly Again after years of waiting, plus the terrific version of In Crowd that opened each show. Plus Leo Abrahams was a great guitarist. Oliver Thompson from that tour continued to work with Bryan and Roxy until recently, but not Leo. Shame.