VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Bryan Ferry vaults
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:32 am 

Hello!

I read that Loop De li is a reworked track from the scrapped Horoscope album called Your Love Has Died.

I've only heard a few bits and pieces from Horoscope and Alpaville on YouTube and wondered if anyone had complete proposed track listings. There surely can't be many songs left that BF hasn't revisited on albums this century now?

I never quite understood why Alphaville wasn't relased anyway, though I think I read Virgin told Bryan Horoscope lacked a single, IIRC?

Post subject: Re: The Bryan Ferry vaults
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 am 

Even as recent as the mid to late nineties, certain record companies had perhaps more power over their artist, even someone as successful as Bryan. It's not so much the case these days but I think around 1997, this album or most of this album was completed and I think Virgin might have rejected it. That's why I think some of these tracks turned up on 'Frantic' and certainly 'Alphaville' from 'Olympia'.
When 'As Time Goes By' came out it was released through Virgin in Germany, so even then after the poor sales of 'Mamouna' perhaps they had began to raise their eye brows.
As we know though 'As Time Goes By' was a bit hit and started quite a career renaissance that has kept going to this day, and luckily with his new deal it seems he has a little more control. Let us also not forget with the new album that this is the shortest gap between almost original albums since 'Boys & Girls' and 'Bete Noire'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:12 pm 

LondonPubs wrote:
When 'As Time Goes By' came out it was released through Virgin in Germany, so even then after the poor sales of 'Mamouna' perhaps they had began to raise their eye brows.
As we know though 'As Time Goes By' was a bit hit and started quite a career renaissance that has kept going to this day, and luckily with his new deal it seems he has a little more control.

That's true, London Pubs. As far as I know Bryan wasn't very successful in the nineties. 'Horoscope' took a lot of time and money - without any possible single record. After 'Taxi' and 'Mamouna' there was a 5 year break (except from 1996 'Dance With Life' released in Germany and Australia) until 'As Time Goes By' was published (and heavily pushed by a German TV station). His former record company had lost belief in his skills. So Virgin Germany somehow 'saved' his career. In 2002 I enjoyed his concert at a Virgin show in Munich featuring BF, Peter Gabriel and some other artists and was glad that some managers in my country had helped my hero to survive commercially :-) .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:04 am 

So doesn't anyone here know the Horoscope and Alphaville tracklists?

I'm curious to know how many songs are still left unreleased.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:22 am 

They say that patience is a virtue, Kleinhond, and that everything comes to he who waits! ;)

Horoscope: The 39 Steps; The Only Face; N.Y.C.; Midnight Train; Your Love Has Died; Gemini Moon; Blinded By The Life; Mother Of Pearl.

Alphaville: Love War; Cruel; Alphaville; Nobody Loves Me; I Don't Want To; Sonnet no. 18; You Can Dance; One Way Love; Hiroshima; This Love; San Simeon; Fool For Love.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:07 am 

Great stuff, thanks for your help.

So at a quick glance, it's just one track from Horoscope and two from Alphaville that haven't been released in any form?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:28 am 

That's correct, unless the new album has them under different titles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:30 pm 

All of 'Alphaville' has been officially released except for 'Love War'. However, the middle section was used in 'A Fool For Love'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:45 pm 

it's not a bad song. pretty good actually !! I would have released it !!! Link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3KTPPFXsY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:11 pm 

@ Ian S: I always hoped BF would release 'Love War' on an album because I like the verse with its electric piano sound (reminds me of 'The In-Crowd' intro sound). On the other hand Graham James is right - BF used the middle section on GOL. Never noticed that before :oops: . Maybe this song is still under construction and it will be released some day. 'Patience is a virtue' as Smudge has put it ...