VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Avonmore
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:57 pm 

So the album is streaming ... Every time I listen to a song - with very few exceptions- I can't be bothered listening to the whole thing . I think I've reached the end of the line . For me even the " stronger " songs are slightly boring ... Probably Avonmore and Soldier of fortune . "A special kind of guy" is beyond aural mush - almost a Spitting image parody song ! The chorus to Driving me wild is directionless and horrible ... It's a depressing feeling but it had to happen sooner or later ... Nothing lasts forever ... :-(

Post subject: Re: Avonmore
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:21 pm 

This is another prime example of while I don't 'stream' or 'download' things. Wait until you have the physical copy in your hands and play it on a decent sound system. I have always thought downloading is an insult to the artist, not in the financial sense but in the sense that you don't hear the fullness of the music as it is presented in the studio.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 pm 

It won't matter ... I just don't seem to be able to like it ! Even the name and the cover piss me off !!! It's all a big Meh for me ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:13 pm 

I was surprised. I didn't expect to like it much - it's been years, (decades actually) since I 'liked' a Ferry solo album. I found 'Loop de Li' & 'Soldier of Fortune' quite listenable & think they are radio friendly.

It will be interesting to see where it charts. As it gets nearer to Christmas albums have to sell significantly more copies to reach the higher positions.

I think 'Olympia' entered & peaked at #19. If 'Avonmore' cracks the top 20, it will have done okay I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:24 pm 

Avonmore - this is Mr Ferry at his best and is set to be a high mark!

Love streaming the album through decent speakers/tins. Everything is here and more. The guitars are are 'electric', a powerhouse of drums and bass, flaunty backing vocals plus a sumptuous sax.

Gonna be even better when actually released next week!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:12 pm 

The one song I really wanted to hear was Ferry's rendition of Send in the Clowns. The line "Isn't it rich, isn't it queer? Losing my timing this late in my career?" might be prophetic but I thought his version was utterly stunning and brilliantly pulled off. It sounds like Avonmore might be judged alongside The Bride Stripped Bare and Frantic as one of his very best solo works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm 

The National Public Radio (NPR) link here in the US now provides streaming of the entire album. I've listened to it several times (at this moment Lost just started up) but I've decided to wait until I actually get the cd before offering any commentary.

Yep, I'm Old School - I listen to a lot of on-line music (mosty via youtube) but still enjoy/appreciate the physical concreteness of CDs and vinyl...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:31 pm 

We're all different aren't we! I haven't bothered with anything BF has done after IYM to Frantic as it just seemed "all the same" to me. However, I think the two tracks from Avonmore that I have heard are really great. I hope the rest of Avonmore is as good.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 pm 

It'd be nice for him to have a hit album- if that ever happens for people these days .. It's just ironic that it's an album I can't really be bothered listening to :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:38 pm 

here we go again: "I don't like this song, I don't like that song". waaa! :lol: