VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: All European shows cancelled!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:18 pm 

On BF Facebook the announcement that all European shows are cancelled! :(
I wish Bryan all the best and good recovery! :|

Post subject: Re: All European shows cancelled!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:32 pm 

Sad to hear that. I was so looking forward to seeing him live. But his health is of course more important. Hope he'll get better soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:59 pm 

No Munich then? Bugger!

Maybe I should write a cheery account of the splendid Amsterdam gig to lighten the doom & gloom...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:14 pm 

Even if this was somehow foreseeable in the last days I am a little bit speechless now ... I was just looking for a hotel room and a train ticket to Stuttgart. What a pity :? . Nevertheless I hope he will recover soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:39 am 

Just received an email notification from ticketmaster. The good news (at least for me :D ) is that the tickets remain valid for the 2015 concert.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:15 pm 

Absolute bugger.
Just cancelled my hotel and flights....and I bought no tickets for UK tour next year. Oh well, I'm sure I can buy tickets from letmein or seatwave at extortionate prices.
:x
RS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:17 pm 

Smudge wrote:
No Munich then? Bugger!

Maybe I should write a cheery account of the splendid Amsterdam gig to lighten the doom & gloom...

You did indeed...and it was a great post.but it was no compensation, especially since I was living just 800m away that night...and didn't go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 pm 

Just booked tickets (via special brokers. No other route, given that UK southern venues -if not all UK- are sold out) at an exorbitant premium for the Brighton Dome gig. close to front in June (row 6), which is some compensation, since I missed out on our special opportunity to get front row seats earlier this year. So at least I'll catch the tour. But this has been an expensive way to do it. Still, you only live once, and the cost is only the equivalent of 70 portions of fish and chips :lol:

Still, I hope the old geezer gets better and looks after himself. It'd be existentially bad news if his voice goes altogether.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:14 am 

Yeah hopefully now that the remaining tour has been cancelled he can now rest for a few months and get his voice back to strength for the 2015 tour. I assume the rehearsals will start in March/April time so plenty of time for recovery.

Perhaps resuming with his tour after cancelling the few US shows wasn't the best idea and he may have been better off fully recovering before continuing with the tour.

I know Bryan's main source of income these days is from touring but I certainly hope he does not over do it and ends up with no voice as RoxySiren says. I would rather he cut down on the tour side of things so that when he does tour he is fighting fit. Despite the fact that Bryan's voice has, naturally, got weaker with age; I love the technique he uses both in the studio and live in order to make up for it.

It would be good to see Bryan do more studio work so he didn't spend his time constantly touring. I know he finds it difficult to write new material but we could have a Jazz Age follow up and an As Time Goes By follow up! He could also do a reworking of Roxy/Ferry tracks in an acoustic style - More Than This 2014 style! He could even look to do more collaborations such as the Groove Armada and Todd Terje ones - the production on those tracks were excellent and really suited Bryan.

The list is endless but, despite being nearly 70 years old, I still feel Bryan has a lot of unfinished business.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:06 pm 

Scott wrote:
Yeah hopefully now that the remaining tour has been cancelled he can now rest for a few months and get his voice back to strength for the 2015 tour. I assume the rehearsals will start in March/April time so plenty of time for recovery.
It would be good to see Bryan do more studio work so he didn't spend his time constantly touring. I know he finds it difficult to write new material but we could have a Jazz Age follow up and an As Time Goes By follow up! He could also do a reworking of Roxy/Ferry tracks in an acoustic style - More Than This 2014 style! He could even look to do more collaborations such as the Groove Armada and Todd Terje ones — the production on those tracks were excellent and really suited Bryan.
The list is endless but, despite being nearly 70 years old, I still feel Bryan has a lot of unfinished business.

Maturing Modernists,
Windswept couldn't agree more with the great Scott's sentiments.
There are unreleased tracks from the ATGB sessions that could make for a great release including a retake on 'You Go To My Head'. This particular song is a favourite of W2's but one that our hero failed to nail first time around. Evidently the unreleased version is more in the style of Billie Holiday and is much better. Wouldn't it be great to have an EP of material from these sessions?
Also, W2 would sell all of Mrs.W's designer shackles for a Jazz Age2. TJA was just a stroke of pure genius and TBFO were a band to die for and there are so many Roxy/Ferry tracks that could lend themselves to that type of arrangement.
MTT there is much to be done including, the aforementioned in bar room style together with other great arrangements.
All of this requires our hero's return to full health and I hope that the boy is having a damn fine rest, is swathed in cashmere and is being tended to by a harem of beauties as he recoups.
Beyond that, W2 thinks the idea of continuing these virtually back to back fandangos is beyond daft. It is high risk for him and high risk for fans. Much better to stage two night spectaculars in Europe's great cities and venues and have the fans come to him. Both nights in Dublin sold out and W2 is sure the concept would work and maybe could even be sold at a higher ticket price and could possibly include flights, hotel, after party meet and greets , etc.
In any event W2 joins all of the Roxologists & Ferryistas that haunt this hallowed cyber hall in wishing our hero the speediest of recoveries
a bientôt,
Windswept