VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: the verdict
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:21 pm 

Well, well, well, so much to think about, so much to comment. Maybe it`s the weekend that frees some spare time for this site. I`ve never had problem with the cover. I don`t need to understand it, though I do. We`ve talked about this before. Have you ever heard The Rolling Stones` "Streets Of Love" from their "A Bigger Bang" album? "Soldier Of Fortune" reminds me of this one. They got a lot of criticism for it. -Too lame, too clichè. I can`t imagine this as a Roxy song. "Driving Me Wild", well, I`m negatively biased in a way, I admit. It sounds like a song Bryan has made up on the spot in his studio just to complete the album. Too much Frantic, too little Mamouna, to put it clumsily. To put it straight; we know Bryan work a lot, so why this? "A Special Kind Of Guy" lacks the lightness of touch of songs like "To Turn You On" and "True To Life". The title track is far better than "The In Crowd", "The Thrill of it All", "Another Time, Another Place" and "Whirlwind". It`s nice to hear some sax and oboe, that`s for sure. I agree `bout the refrain of Loop De Li, why only 2 times? -Oh, and I really don`t care about remixes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:39 pm 

Smudge wrote:
Certainly, W2 does not underestimate the importance of... Colin Good in Bryan's success.

I think we took that much as read! You must be saving him a fortune in agent's fees! ;)

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Mon Dieu! The great Monsieur Smudge can take a quote out of context quicker than a 'Sun' journalist. That said it is true that Windswept remains an unapologetic Goodist!
Back to the album. As previously stated, W2 finds 'Avonmore' a very good album but perhaps not a great album. Whilst conversely, he did consider TJA a great album.
Inevitably, after a very varied forty year career spent exploring so many aspects of modern music, not every adventure will have found favour with every fan.
Stones' fanatics find little to fall out about, save what was their strongest period. Principally because they have ploughed the same furrow for more than fifty years and if you liked them in the beginning, you probably still like them now.
Ferry, on the other hand, has given us everything from art rock, to ambient, to contemporary classics, to Jazz and all points in-between. Always in his inimitable style but different furrows non the less.
In this scenario it's little wonder that some fans consider 'Avonmore' a return to form. Possibly those who particularly enjoyed the Manifesto through to Mamouna period. Whilst others may consider it to be not his most creative work. Both opinions are valid.
What W2 has much more difficulty with are those that imply that he is cleaning out the creative cupboards, throwing stuff onto the market, producing 'fillers', not caring etc..
Frankly, W2 will never believe that to be the case. Whatever BF does, he does it with a complete eye to quality and because he believes in it and wants to do it. More than this, as the great song goes, there is nothing!
salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:46 pm 

WS2:
A question: If "Whatever BF does, he does it with a complete eye to quality" then why is he so enamored of "Roxy Lite" as his touring band?

I'm afraid I might be having to send you a pitcher of Kool-aid for the Holidays!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:58 pm 

Hmm, Having watched "Roxy lite" on you tube, I have to agree that there is a lack of some depth to the the band.
If you compare, and perhaps BF is trying to distance this band from the past bands, this is very "lite" indeed.
Recall "Olympia" tour when he got Paul back in on the drums half way through when it "didn't sound quite right"? Well for me, it doesn't sound right now.
I'm sure that individually they are all very good at what they do but collectivity to RM they aren't even close.
VP on Jules was really, really poor in my opinion! And why do VP?
Do another new one so there can be no comparison.
Any way it's what it is.
I'm not going to see them even though they play within 20miles of us and the closest ever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:47 am 

DCJ wrote:
WS2:
A question: If "Whatever BF does, he does it with a complete eye to quality" then why is he so enamoured of "Roxy Lite" as his touring band?

I'm afraid I might be having to send you a pitcher of Kool-aid for the Holidays!

Fellow Philanderers,
Windswept sees no contradiction on his position concerning 'Avonmore' and 'Roxy Lite' (tm DJC).
"Roxy Lite' are a quality proposition. The band comprises good musicians it is simply that the 'Lite' sound is not to W2's taste and I agree completely with Gary's point.
Being the eternal optimist, Windswept is hoping that this years US and
European fandangos were just a warm up and that the big spectacular will be launched for next year's UK leg.
W2 dreams of a new orchestra, dancing girls, a visual spectacular, a fabulous tour book and great new arrangements with more than a sprinkling of 'Avonmore'.
Until then, he'll continue to drink the 'Kool Aid' but with a double Hendrix!
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 am 

Oh Windswept. I think I may have to include an order of "waffles" that you can wash down with the Kool-aid...