VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: the verdict
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:33 pm 

I feel no desire to listen to any of the songs on this album . I often wondered if there would be a disappointment which would herald the journey away from my many many years as an avid Ferry fan ... And here it is ...Emmerdale .. Oops sorry Avonmore:-(((

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:26 pm 

Gardner wrote:
I feel no desire to listen to any of the songs on this album . I often wondered if there would be a disappointment which would herald the journey away from my many many years as an avid Ferry fan ... And here it is ...Emmerdale .. Oops sorry Avonmore:-(((

You're a reall barrel of laughs - it's little wonder that forums are on the decline when people log on and read some of your comments....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:45 pm 

I'm in agreement Scott. Glass not only half empty - dislikes the glass and the contents! Hope Gardner finds positive energy from a new source soon for own health.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:14 pm 

And there was me championing the Jazz age when so many hated it .....
Actually I'm not that much of a lost case, realising Bry has run out of ideas hasn't caused me ill health - the last time I spoke to my doctor I was on the up !!! :-)
Honestly though folks , C'mon !!! I think there's an Avonmore sized elephant in the room .. it's not long term inspiring listening . The critics (who probably only hear a Bryan Ferry record once every four years when they're reviewing it) seem to have created an 80's revival vibe along the lush sexy night time groove but we the fans ( who listen carefully) know it's not really a patch on Boy's and Girls or Avalon - Albums that a huge percentage of Roxy fans like to criticise for being bland anyway !!! The same critics said Frantic was a fantastic return to form... we all know (deep down) that it wasn't. The truth is , and i'm incredibly sad to say it ( really ), is that most of the songs on Avonmore sound like the crap extra tracks on the deluxe version of Olympia .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:07 pm 

Gardner wrote:
The critics (who probably only hear a Bryan Ferry record once every four years when they're reviewing it) seem to have created an 80's revival vibe along the lush sexy night time groove but we the fans ( who listen carefully) know it's not really a patch on Boy's and Girls or Avalon - Albums that a huge percentage of Roxy fans like to criticise for being bland anyway !!! The same critics said Frantic was a fantastic return to form... we all know (deep down) that it wasn't. The truth is , and i'm incredibly sad to say it ( really ), is that most of the songs on Avonmore sound like the crap extra tracks on the deluxe version of Olympia .

I think Rhett Davies has to take into consideration the weakened quality of BF`s voice. Hence the velvet. You can`t have it both ways. I`m afraid we`re into fans only territory by this album. As I would never dream of listening to new bands these days, I take it that young people ain`t very curious checking out an album like Avonmore. If only all those attending his concerts would buy this album, then some justice would be made. BF can`t expect being as famous as David Bowie. Only RM with BF on board could take that challenge. BF could be compared to Sting. I don`t like Sting, so the choice is easy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm 

Gardner wrote:

@Gardner, I think it's probably fair to say, judging from their comments, that the majority of BF fans are enjoying listening to this album, and finding it better than expected. It may not go down in history as an all-time classic, but contains some real treats (e.g. the title track), and rewards repeated listening. If you feel no desire to listen to any of the songs, well that's your loss.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:58 am 

Gardner wrote:

Festive Philanderers,
Windswept finds Gardner's assertion not to like anything un peu bizarre. Particularly given that the two excellent interpretations are in quite a different style to those penned by our hero.
That said, the breadth of the Roxology religion knows no boundaries and all styles are definitely served here!
For Windswept's part,one month after launch, he finds himself constantly returning to SOF, A, SITC, and J&M and would certainly rate it as one of his top three albums of 2014.
All in all, with the fabulous BFWS in Dublin and a very good new album, Windswept has enjoyed another vintage Ferry year!
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:33 pm 

Windswept 2 ..

J&M had already been released earlier in the year .. Sorry to sound like a spoilsport, but that usually dampens my enthusiasm to view an ' epic' last track on an album as a new and exciting listen. As a result I haven't even been bothered to listen to J&M in the context of Avonmore at all .... It's like sooo four months ago.
As for the other noteworthy tracks, maybe Avonmore ( lazy lazy title ) or even SITC ... but they are 'lost' in the bland funking mush and scrapings from the studio vaults which most of us have heard before in one form or another anyway. Also , dragging down the quality barometer to subterranean levels is the album cover , title and graphic ... utterly uninspiring and any attempt to cobble up a post modern discussion about why he used an old picture is just desperate nonsense (whether you write bits of it in French or not ). This month I've been listening to The war on drugs and St Vincent. Very refreshing and rewarding experiences .....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:47 pm 

Gardner,

Agree with you 100% mate - there is nothing on this album that hasn't been done before.

Roger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:43 pm 

I do feel for Gardner, and I hope he , assuming he is a he, can enjoy the memories of Roxy Music and earlier, hayday, Ferry.
I still enjoy the Olympia mixes and I like Avonmore, the deep sound , Rhett Davies's production, the artwork and all.

Yep, lyrically, Ferry has lost the ability to produce the turn of phrase , and the vocabulary, that he once had. Sonically, there is much else in the back catalogue - fantastic intros, choruses, riffs and vocals.
Now, its product. It's good product, nonetheless, and to my mind he still delivers. It grooves along nicely, even in French.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next