VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: JAZZ AGE2?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:16 am 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Windswept has been listening to the extended version of the making of 'The Jazz Age' on our hero's own site and it makes for fascinating viewing. Particularly when band members explained how they used vintage instruments to obtain the precise sound of the era. It was incredible attention to this sort of detail that made the album so authentic.
The more discerning dilettantes amongst you will also be interested to know that a Jazz version of MTT is briefly featured in the video and reference was also made that some songs didn't make the cut.
Here's hoping that there could be a second LP or EP in the works.
It would be a great way for our hero to rest his old 'Hobson's Choice'.
Failing that — or even better — as well as that, Windswept was wondering if TBFO had given any thought to a short residence at Ronnie Scotts? W2 is sure it would sell out.
Salutations,
Windswept

Post subject: Re: JAZZ AGE2?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:12 pm 

I was thinking this myself the other day whilst listening to a Tubby Hayes cd, and then watching 'The Small World Of Sammy Lee' with the great Anthony Newley. I thought how wonderful it would be to have a five night residency there, or somewhere beautiful like Drury Lane that would suit this kind of music. Volume 2 perhaps! I would also love to see an expanded version of 'As Time Goes By' with all the other cuts that didn't make it.
There is much to look forward to one feels.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:46 am 

Anything is possible I suppose, but a re-formation of the BFO strikes me as highly unlikely. For the foreseeable future (i.e. next year) he will be touring with Roxy Lite and promoting Avonmore. The BFO was expensive to put on the road, and even a limited gig at Ronnie Scott's would be an expensive proposition.

The biggest plus side of the BFO going forward is that it wouldn't require BF to sing through the whole concert...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:53 am 

DCJ wrote:
Anything is possible I suppose, but a re-formation of the BFO strikes me as highly unlikely. For the foreseeable future (i.e. next year) he will be touring with Roxy Lite and promoting Avonmore. The BFO was expensive to put on the road, and even a limited gig at Ronnie Scott's would be an expensive proposition.

The biggest plus side of the BFO going forward is that it wouldn't require BF to sing through the whole concert...

Mes Amis,
Maybe Windswept is dreaming but he doesn't think TBFO in the UK is a lost cause.
You wouldn't have the same costs associated with a world or Europeon tour and most of the players seem to be in 'The Basin Street Brawlers' so hopefully they could morph back into BF's band without too much trouble.
As for a residence at Ronnie's, there would be virtually zero travel costs associated with this and BF wouldn't necessarily have to perform — albeit a couple of songs at the end of the set would raise the roof!
At long last, there seems to be a genuine renewed interest in Jazz (the fabulous 'Hot Sardines' are selling out everywhere) and Bryan's album was so well received by aficionados. It was way more than a gimmick. It was a real reimagining of his music and was really well received by Jazz heads.
W2 would love to see more tracks interpreted into that vein and an expansion of ATGB catalogue would be more than welcome.
Frankly AEWBF was a complete triumph and and given that much of next year's UK audience will doubtless be devout Ferryistas, they are bound to make comparisons and W2 doubts that the show as it stands will cut it.
Hopefully we'll have many more opportunities to see our hero but every gig is becoming increasingly precious and W2 doesn't want to see a 'Roxy Lite' show when there is so much more to be done.
Salutations,
Windswept.
Ps. LondonPubs - you have impeccable taste. Tubby Hayes was a God.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:31 am 

I was listening to As Time Goes By recently and thought too that Bryan could have gone much further. I guess one reason was the bandwagon of artists doing similar (Rod Stewart!) and we might not have had the Roxy reunion tour either.

What struck me is ATGB has a Colin Good stamp all over it, almost a collaboration. The Jazz Age, without a vocal, is arguably The Colin Good Orchestra. Could say that Mr Good appears to have gone full circle by returning to a jazz style but has pushed out the vocalist! Without a vocal The Jazz Age wasn't going to sell however beautifully packaged - thankfully Baz Luhrmann saw the potential of a vocal.

On the ATGB/AEWBF tours I loved the reworking of Roxy / Ferry songs in a jazz style albeit different jazz periods. Would be great to revisit, residence at Drury Lane (the album title?) and put it on record - with vocal!