VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan Ferry - The Jonathon Ross Show - Saturday 7th March
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:23 am 

Saturday 7th March 2015 - 9:55pm - 10:55pm - ITV/STV

Bryan is a guest on this week's show and performs Driving me Wild as well as having a chat. He talks about Merlin's recent accident.

The new players for the evening appear to be Luke Bullen on drums again and Jimmy Sims on bass.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebritie ... car-crash/

8-)

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - The Jonathon Ross Show - Saturday 7th Marc
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 pm 

First clip is already online:

Bryan Ferry Talks About Partying With Salvador Dali - The Jonathan Ross Show

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:52 am 

The full section of the show with interview and performance is now available here.

http://youtu.be/JRXIxROE7JI

I enjoyed the performance and Bryan was a bit nervous during the chat (as usual) but nothing new in the questions he was asked. I felt choked for him when he spoke about the accident but glad to hear that Merlin is out of hospital for a time although he is to return for further operations.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:43 pm 

Thanks for posting this Roxy. I thought Bryan came across pretty well in his interview and wasn't too nervous (helped no doubt by JR being such a big fan and so a sympathetic interviewer). And then an excellent performance of Driving Me Wild. All in all great promotion for the album/tour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm 

Mes Amis,
Unfortunately, I can't agree with India about Ross' interview.
Frankly, I thought it was completely tasteless of Ross to bring up the question of Merlin's accident in the manner that he did.
To ask if Merlin is making a recovery and wishing him well is perhaps acceptable. To labour the point and to show visuals of a grotesquely crushed car and to ask personal details such as "who called you" etc..is completely beyond the pale.
Beyond that, unfortunately, I found Bryan's vocal performance to be very rough. Maybe it wasn't helped by nerves provoked by Ross' intrusion or perhaps he hasn't recovered from issues that plagued the last tour. Either way it's a clear problem.
I have tickets for June and would love to see him again but only if his voice is up to it or only if he is singing material he can do justice to.
If not, I'd prefer that he took care of himself and didn't expose himself to any repetitional damage. He's given me more than any other artist over the years and I'm content with that and will always be eternally grateful. If live performances as we have known them have to be curtailed — so be it.
A person's voice changes as they age and remember, BF did have a rather long and enthusiastic love affair with Virginia's favourite crop and that won't have helped his voice either.
This doesn't mean the end of the road. Far from it. As sensible posters have said times many, Johny Cash did some of his best work in the winter of his career and Bryan is well capable of turning the page and focusing on different types of music and concert formats.
Whatever he decides, I'll be with him and I'm sure everybody else that haunts this hallowed cyber hall will be too.
Regards,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:14 pm 

I agree `bout his voice. It was very rough. But this I think one can hear on the album too, compared to the songs on the album that was recorded some years ago. His career seems to be at some crossroads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:56 pm 

I'm sure we've all been aware of vocal changes since 'Frantic' (one of my favourites...sorry Windswept). However I think Bryan has managed these well. There is a vulnerability that wasn't there before. Leonard Cohen and the late Johnny Cash worked around vocal limitations and, of course Dylan...
People also questioned Billie Holiday's later recordings at the time and they are more and more valued now.
His voice has pushed his writing and interpretations in different directions. Yes, when live he uses his backing vocalists more...did I see Fonzi Thornton on the Jonathan Ross Show on Saturday....but the performances are still electrifying-I was in Dublin for the second night last Summer and I will be in Belfast for opening night.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:38 pm 

Sure his live performances are still electrifying. However, that`s not the problem. His TV and album performances show a weakened voice. Contrary to the female half of the globe, I have no liking for his vulnerability.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:14 pm 

..I would use changed rather than weakened...people get older. By the way (deep voice) I'm a male! (but I do like 'Special kind of guy'). :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:07 pm 

His voice is not strong. It will be remarkable if his voice holds up during the frenetically paced Brit-Tour in May.

Also, It looks like the Roxy Lite Band has gotten even lighter with the departure of Guy Pratt...