VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uncut Magazine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:30 pm 

There is an interesting piece with Bryan this month with him discussing his solo albums, excluding 'Bête Noire', 'As Time Goes By', 'Frantic', 'Dylanesque' and 'The Jazz Age'.

I've not bought a copy that's why it's not scanned!

Post subject: Re: Uncut Magazine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:56 pm 

I just got my copy this morning so will scan later and post :)

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:21 pm 

Bryan Ferry - Album by Album - Uncut Magazine May 2015

With that title I was expecting it to cover all the studio albums but there is only a selection.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:52 pm 

Philosophical Philanderers,
Great to have our hero telling us what his work meant to him and very heart warming to have him talk about Simon Puxley with such affection.
Interesting that he saw his first two albums as taking his music to a wider audience. Doubtless true but, it also worked the other way, by broadening the horizons of Roxy fans.
It certainly worked that way for me and I'd credit him, above all others, for instilling me with a life long love of music.
Ok, before he came along I was into rock, blues, soul and some jazz but it was really his breadth of taste and ongoing pursuit of perfection that ensured that my infatuation with modern music transcended my teens and twenties and those first two solo albums were pivotal in my education.
Bit of a shame that he didn't recap 'Bette Noir' and 'TJA'.
'Bette Noir' in particular is such an under discussed gem. I listened to it today and IMNSHO, I think it's every bit the equal of B&G. It has some fabulous tracks on it and has a real atmosphere.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:37 am 

Bete Noire is better than B&G

You are a wise man WS2...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:18 am 

It would have been good to see all the studio albums covered rather than just a selection. Very surprised that ATGB was not featured considering it got him a Grammy nomination.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 am 

Agreed Roxy - I can't understand for the life of me why ATGB has not been included in this selection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 am 
Site Owner

I always felt Bete Noire had stronger singles than Boys And Girls and was surprised those singles were relative flops. The singe version of Limbo is a bit 'of its time, but the album version was stronger.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:47 pm 

Sorry chaps, Bete Noire is my least favourite BF album and The Right Stuff is my least favourite single. When critics (and even BF himself re Mamouna) go on about BF's vocals being subsumed on Avalon or Mamouna, I just don't get it, listen to Seven Deadly Sins and it's infuriatingly filtered into bland morse code.... "Sev De Si."

Limbo is great mind, and I loved the tour that (eventually) followed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:41 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Bete Noire is better than B&G

You are a wise man WS2...

Mes Amis,
We have to stop doing this but yet again I find myself in violent agreement with DJC. He is correct, Bete Noire is a superior album to B&G.
There are just so many great moments - Limbo is superb, Kiss & Tell, and Day For Night are all stand out songs and nothing conjures up smokey Parisian cafes better than the title track.
Personally, I'd love him to give the striped bar room treatment (a la 'More Than This') to 'The Name Of The Game'. I think the song is strong enough to take it and it would be a great one for the mature voice - maybe our hero can nail it for the Brighton gig!
In fact, the only track I've never been mad about is 'The Right Stuff' - it's always sounded a bit dysfunctional to me.
On another note, I have to agree with Roxy, it is bizarre that the incredible ATGB was left out of the recap- then again, that might have been Uncut doing some cutting rather than Bryan himself self editing.
Writing this is making me even more excited about June.
Have we any news on the line up yet? If Guy Pratt is off playing with Gilmore, Bryan should get Zev Katz back on bass. He's a great player and with the right hat, looks the part.
Salutations,
Windswept