VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry - Avonmore Tour 2015
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:22 pm 

Ausgezeichnet, pianoman!
Our hero is doing well! The tour is in full swing and BF is talking about new projects. Salut!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm 

Great review, Pianoman, thank you :) Good to hear Stronger Through The Years and Out Of The Blue are still in the set list. Really looking forward to these. On the other hand I think I wouldn't miss Jealous Guy, I've really overdosed on that. Looking forward to tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:12 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Great review, Pianoman, thank you :) Good to hear Stronger Through The Years and Out Of The Blue are still in the set list. Really looking forward to these. On the other hand I think I wouldn't miss Jealous Guy, I've really overdosed on that. Looking forward to tomorrow :)

Hope you could escape the cold you were afraid of, LD. Loads of fun to you with Bryan tomorrow 8-) !! You're right, we're all a little bit fed up with songs like 'My Only Love' (not performed during the last concerts) or 'Jealous Guy'. But all in all the setlist is well balanced - hidden Ferry gems like 'Zamba' on the one hand and Roxy DNA songs like 'Virginia Plain' on the other. BTW, I had preferred 'New Town' 'or 'Limbo' to 'Zamba' and 'Beauty Queen' or '2 HB' to 'Stronger Through The Years' :? ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:07 am 

Pas du tout!
JG is the best ending and MOL is a great song - in my ears. We are all different... If I need some fresh air, so to speak, I go out during Virginia Plain.
For me the highlight, well, one of them, of the show is Bête Noir.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:25 am 

pianoman wrote:
He’ll never be a communicator or a dancer, his concerts are always short and precise but he’s got a unique voice, musical style and a sense of fine arts. Bryan Ferry’s not everybody’s darling — like him or not.......

........Bryan rather saved his voice instead of giving in.

Cher Pianoman,

Thanks for this great review !

Albeit Windswept thinks our hero can dance and is a particular admirer of his "Nijinsky Pose". A move that W2 continues to try to master en prive!

More than this, the Brightonians are delighted that the European rehearsals have gone so well but are relieved that he is saving his voice for the ultimate fandango.

The Stuttgart set looks great and if he could just substitute 'Hard Rain' for 'Bob Dylan's Dream' , 'Mother Of Pearl' for 'Avalon' and revert to the bar room version of 'More Than This', we will be getting close to perfection.

This is the longest build up to a FerryFix ever. W2 last saw our hero in Dublin (June '14) and is suffering extreme withdrawal symptoms.

Roll on Brighton!

Salutations and best wishes to all for the UK leg.

Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:35 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Hope you could escape the cold you were afraid of, LD. Loads of fun to you with Bryan tomorrow 8-) !!

Thank you, Pianoman, I'm feeling fine today, I think I've successfully slept it off.

pianoman wrote:
You're right, we're all a little bit fed up with songs like 'My Only Love' (not performed during the last concerts) or 'Jealous Guy'. But all in all the setlist is well balanced - hidden Ferry gems like 'Zamba' on the one hand and Roxy DNA songs like 'Virginia Plain' on the other. BTW, I had preferred 'New Town' 'or 'Limbo' to 'Zamba' and 'Beauty Queen' or '2 HB' to 'Stronger Through The Years' :? ...

Yes, everybody's different, I for instance would love to hear My Only Love, especially since Hubbard is in the band, the solo he played during the Avalon tour was so amazing. But honestly this all doesn't really matter much to me, as soon as the lights go off and the concert starts I will enjoy it no matter what they play. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:19 pm 

Frankfurt setlist: 'Do The Strand' is back - instead of 'Loop De Li'.

Frankfurt review: http://www.fr-online.de/musik/bryan-fer ... 56624.html

Although the critic describes Bryan as being 'fabulous' he complains that our hero prefers not to interact with the audience. But can you imagine him crying 'Good evening Frankfurt, how are yoooouuuu ????'. No, that's not his style - definitely not.

If somebody wants to read a review about Stuttgart- here you are:

http://www.swp.de/ulm/nachrichten/kultu ... 08,3436853

A good review with no factual mistakes. Eva Heer tells us that Bryan hasn't grown old because he is timeless, ageless - a lonesome dandy suffering from love.

'Avonmore' setlist: All Ferry is good Ferry, but if we assume that VRM has got 1.000 active readers we could at least have 1.000 different setlists. I never had any problems with IYLSE but if it was performed M. Windswept would ask if he could get his hard-earned money back ;-) M. Oberon and Lonely Dreamer love 'My Only Love' but I'd prefer songs like 'Kiss + Tell' or 'New Town'. When I had a look at my fellow Ferry fans in Stuttgart I remembered Monsieur Windswept's saying: 'Roxology is a broad church'. Bien vrai, n'est-ce pas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:17 pm 

It was a wonderful concert, I really enjoyed it from the first split second to the end. Even the crowd pleasers. Yes, he played Jealous Guy. But, surprisingly not as the concluding song. JG was followed by Editions of You and after that we received a special treat with Let's Stick Together which is not on the setlist, so obviously a real encore. We earned it, the crowd was very cheering.

He did interact with the audience some, teasing us a bit, saying things like "Hey Hamburg are you still there?" or "I can't hear you" And the audience did turn the volume up every time. When Love Is The Drug started, everybody jumped on their feet and started dancing.

My personal favourites were Avonmore, which the band produced in a perfect sound, very funky - this band is really not Roxy lite anymore. Then Ladytron, Bete Noire (I especially liked the Bass by Jimmy Sims; I also loved Lucy Wilkins' violin; I did miss some percussions on Bete Noire - but nobody could compete with Paulinho da Costa anyway), the intro to Take A Chance With Me, and, surprisingly also One Night Stand (surprising for me because I hardly ever notice it when I'm listening to the Avonmore album). Tara was also played very beautifully.

I really like the band in its current lineup. Though I liked Cherisse on drums I think Luke Bullen's style fits in better.

I'm wondering what effect it will have on Jorja Chalmers baby to have been on stage with Bryan Ferry as an embryo - this is really early education in music at its best ;)

P.S.: he did not kick the Eskimos out of Do The Strand and replace them with the Hamburgers this time :cry:

I managed to get one of the musicians' setlists:

Attachment:
IMG_0126-kl.jpg
IMG_0126-kl.jpg [ 216.94 KiB | Viewed 12406 times ]

Last edited by Lonely Dreamer on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 am 

Quote:
It was a wonderful concert, I really enjoyed it from the first split second to the end.
Quote:
Lonely Dreamer

I will second that.... Bryan in top form, and in Ferry fine voice as well....he was visibly happy with the audience's very positive response and reaction.. well done Bryan! thanks for the added bonus of LST!

The band very disciplined, very tight knit, and Bryan in full control all of the time. Many highlights, whether Lucy's solo on OOTB (simply magnificent), Fonzi or Jorja....
A shame that Beauty Queen is not on the set list, possibly reserved for the UK tour perhaps (?).. also the Great Paul not being on drums, but there are really no reasons to complain..
Bryan sang the two Dylan songs well, in good voice... he looked fit and well, and apart from the vocals on Avalon (!) he could have mastered all vocals on the night, I am sure...
Great evening, just can't get enough of the Great Man though...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 am 

Lonely Dreamer: 'I was able to retrieve one of the musicians' setlists'

Thank you, LD, a setlist with the keys on it! Seems that E/Eb/E#F best suit with our hero's voice. But most of all: Thanks for your lively reports from Hamburg, LD and StephenPep! Must have been the perfect atmosphere there.

Lonely Dreamer: 'He did interact with the audience some, teasing us a bit, saying things like "Hey Hamburg are you still there?" or "I can't hear you" And the audience did turn the volume up every time.'

In my last post I denied that the great man would be able to say things like 'Hey Hamburg, are you still there ... ?' and now I learn that he is always good for surprises 8-)

StephenPep: 'The band very disciplined, very tight knit, and Bryan in full control all of the time. Many highlights, whether Lucy's solo on OOTB (simply magnificent), Fonzi or Jorja....'

Nobody in the band was lite but 'the girls' (Jorja & Lucy) are multiinstrumental jewels and Lucy's OOTB solo caused goosebumps.

StephenPep: 'Bryan sang the two Dylan songs well, in good voice... he looked fit and well, and apart from the vocals on Avalon (!) he could have mastered all vocals on the night, I am sure...'

Seconded, Stephen, sometimes less support from the background choir could have been more.

PS: Of course I'm a little bit envious of you about the third encore LST ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next