VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: the Opening Show
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:46 am 
Site Owner

Despite being to so many shows over the years I still found myself excited going to this show as there was the intrigue of wondering what the set list. Any correspondence I had with team BF prior to this had me making sure I didn't hear any hints. I wanted to be like a wee boy on Christmas morning opening up my presents one by one.

I was relaying the set to Colette (aka Roxy on this forum) song by song to do the live update in this site.. When I sent the Text '4 Beauty Queen' I had to write on the same text 'no kidding' as that song has been on so many wish lists over the years that I and so many others had given up hope of ever hearing.

The Avonmore songs had a new breath iof life injected in them with the live arrangements I even enjoyed Midnight Train a song I have just never taken to on the New LP

My highlight along with Beauty Queen was Zamba. This song suited Bryan's 2015 vocal timbre and the New arrangement had so many delicate nuances woven in by all the players including some ethereal violin by the much welcome back Lucy Wilkins, a Roxy/Ferry heroine.

Bob Dylan's Dream seemed an odd choice but again the live version sounded very fresh.

The New band sounded great and one if my all favourite Roxy/Ferry side men Neil Hubbard along with Lucy Wilkins added New colours to the palette

24 songs, no interval and Bryan sounding and looking great.

On his 70th year and my show tally a 3 figure sum Mr Ferry can still make this almost 50 year old be as excited and delighted as a wee boy on Christmas morning.

Looking forward to the rest of the tour. Cardiff next for me.......anyone know the Welsh for 'Beauty Queen was awesome'?

J. O'B.

Post subject: Re: the Opening Show
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:38 am 

Cher John,

Great stuff - what was the sound like and any news on the set, tour book and the sartorial?

Bravo for keeping this hallowed cyber hall running.

Looking forward to Brighton (if ticketmaster ever print the tickets).

Regards,

W2

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:43 am 

Thanks for that report! All in all, good news. Glad to see that many songs from Avonmore were on the list. Zamba and BĂȘte Noir were nice surprises, both being old favourites of mine. I know many out there are kind of tired of My only love, but i always enjoy it and it`s suitable for Neil Hubbard. And good to see that the energetic Lucy is back!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:58 am 
Site Owner

The background was simple but effective, no screens etc but more curtains and lighting done tastefully.

The sound was good in what is a stunning venue.

The tour books will be available from Cambridge onwards. I haven't seen one yet.

As for the sartorial department........ Yes I did look good for being 50 in 2 week's time.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 am 

echoing windswept's plaudits... many thanks john and roxy for keeping all those absent from last night's opening show fully updated... i remember settling down with a glass of wine and tuning in to VRM during the roxy tour of 2011 - when the main thing/sentimental fool/same old scene et al made their long awaited live returns - and imagining i was there with you! last night was no different - on behalf of all forum users, thanks again...

technology does have its uses.

until cardiff...

GazRox

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 am 

This all sounds marvellous, what a set list!

Looking forward to Cambridge (and the tour book), and then London.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 pm 

Big thank you John (and Roxy) for the live text updates was fun to follow - what an exciting set list. Your comments on the show itself are very positive but I didn't expect any less from Mr Ferry and co. Can't wait to see it myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:33 pm 

Review from 'Irish News' 7/5/2015 Page 2
Oozing class and confidence, Ferry proves he can still get us in the groove

Was there ever a more modern band than Roxy Music? Onto a hirsute, denim-clad early seventies music scene they burst like some alien entity, led by a singer who crooned like some space-age Ivor Novello over a musical mash-up of Hollywood kitsch and European avant garde.
Quickly it became clear that Bryan Ferry would be able to sustain a parrallel solo career, and he and indeed Roxy neatly sidestepped punk to reinvent themselves with the textured, classy sound that electrified the Waterfront last night.
It was a return visit for Ferry, and not before time as middle-aged ravers got into the groove.
Last night's openers such as Driving Me Wild showed his class before a sharp left turn into Ladytron demonstrated what a weird package early Roxy were.
Sober suited rather than glammed up, Ferry,the music fan with these days a rather lived-in voice, delivered a beautiful version of Dylan's Don't Think Twice,It's Alright,proving himself a better harmonica player than the nasal one, and who remembers that Smoke Gets in your Eyes was one of Ferry's biggest hits? He certainly does.
Warmed up now, he was confident enough to visit lesser known albums like Manifesto,where self-proclaimed non-musician Ferry directed things from behind a very small piano.
Ferry remains an expert in fusing the neo-classical with modern dance rhythms, gypsy violin with bossa nova, classical guitar with a slow samba, at one stage leaving the stage to let the band do the work, returning to pick up the pace with Take A Chance With Me and My Only Love with some of that old Roxy swagger.
New material inevitably recalled old material, with Avalon very much the musical touchstone.
But the clipped intro to Love is the Drug banished, as it always does, all longuers and the whole hall boogied.
In terms of music and in terms of cool, the guy's still got it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:34 am 

Thanks everyone, I can't tell you how nervous I was to be left in charge of the live update to the set list! Wednesday was not the night for the internet connection to play up :D

I have three shows coming up and am very much looking forward to them and hearing the new and old members in the band perform. If there should be any changes to the set I pray that Beauty Queen remains. I am most impressed that Bryan has had the courage to drop Jealous Guy.

8-)

P.S. I had thought of adding "4. Beauty Queen.........NO KIDDING" on to the live update!! :lol: