VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ferry's Finest Lyric
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:01 pm 
Site Owner

If There Is Something, Would You Believe, The Bogus Man have hymn-like titles in that their first line is the title of the song.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:40 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
If There Is Something, Would You Believe, The Bogus Man have hymn-like titles in that their first line is the title of the song.

J.O'B.

Cher J.O'B,
C'est vrai.
W2 was on the verge of mentioning the spiritual when describing a couple of our hero's lyrics but he reigned in lest Mrs.W think that his fanaticism had gotten out of control.
That said, the spiritual is there in spades. I'm just listening to the Irish Guards version of 'When She Walks In The Room' and that one can bring a tear to your eye without a word!
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:56 pm 

have we had " a hundred sleepless nights have left me wasted and so cold...

... but I can make it , I'm hanging on...."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 pm 

DCJ wrote:

Manifesto is great - the man who drives the hammer and "shocks a million miles away" It seems that Manifesto marks a high water/turning point in terms of extended, engaging wordplay. He never wrote like that again as far as I can tell...

Completely agree DCJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
One of my favourite set of lines in a Roxy song are in Take A Chance With Me

There are three lines that the middle line seems to belong to the line either side of it....confused?? let me explain:

"People say I'm just a fool
All the world, even you
Should learn to love the way I do"

Is that:
People say I'm just a fool, all the world, even you

or is it:
All the world, even you should learn to love the way I do"

probably both.

J.O'B.

IRSNSHO: both. Deliberate wordplay. "But who can tell?"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 am 

RoxySiren wrote:
DCJ wrote:

Manifesto is great — the man who drives the hammer and "shocks a million miles away" It seems that Manifesto marks a high water/turning point in terms of extended, engaging wordplay. He never wrote like that again as far as I can tell...

Completely agree DCJ

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Complete harmony in this hallowed cyber hall is so rare it should be celebrated when it comes along and W2 couldn't agree more DJC/RoxySiren's comments.

Could it be that MANIFESTO was the last album were the 'Roxy Soup' was made with the original recipe? It has a number of co-writes on it and, with the exception of percussion, it had the original team. Including, I would imagine the full involvement of the good Doctor Puxley.

As RoxySiren says, the title track has some great lyrics:

"Now and then I've suffered imperfection
Studied marble flaws
And faces pale and worn
By many tears"

Great stuff.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:59 am 

Hear it live again ! A rare performance in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDirNIwMdY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 am 

Roxy Magic... that's brilliant, spot on.. . really brought a smile to my face. .. oh yeah, ..good version,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:35 pm 

I'm catching up on these posts having been away, and a few pages back people were going on about the Hearst/OrsonWelles/Citizen Kane/Rosebud/Topiary thing.

I know "Rosebud" is linked to the snow-sledge in the movie - and even in the children's late 1980s Ghostbuster cartoon series (that one was actually a very intelligent and touching cartoon about returning to innocence). But, if you read up on Hearst and his lover, and the Welles' biography by Simon Callow, Rosebud was actually the sexual nickname for a part of her body.

I may be wrong, but I think Bryan has always been fascinated by dichotomies, the mixture of love/lust in this case alongside innocence or dark dark secrets.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
I'm catching up on these posts having been away, and a few pages back people were going on about the Hearst/OrsonWelles/Citizen Kane/Rosebud/Topiary thing.

But, if you read up on Hearst and his lover, and the Welles' biography by Simon Callow, Rosebud was actually the sexual nickname for a part of her body.

I may be wrong, but I think Bryan has always been fascinated by dichotomies, the mixture of love/lust in this case alongside innocence or dark dark secrets.

Just a thought.

Cher Rendezvous,

Bon retour — you make a great point.

Evidently Hearst was furious at Welles and disliked the Citizen Kane movie intensely for reasons unknown.

That said, many contend that the link of 'Rosebud' to Marion Davies was an invention of Gore Vidal.

Only Hearst and Davies would really know and they won't be telling any time soon but perhaps Bryan will shine a light with a new song!

Salutations,
W2
Ps. This wouldn't happen on a Bay City Roller's fan site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next