VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ferry's Finest Lyric
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:23 am 

Hedonistic Hipsters & Philosophical Philanderers,

Windswept would like to thank all of the Ferryistas that have sent private messages over recent days. He wants everybody to know that he appreciates their support.

That said, after a period of deep reflection, he has decided to resign from this hallowed cyber hall and not to continue with 'Windswept's Chronicles'.

His life long Ferry fanaticism will continue unabated and he will always be at the front of the queue - physical or virtual - for the latest fandango ticket or LP and he will continue to slavishly follow both our hero's musical and sartorial adventures.

W2 has enjoyed the banter enormously over the last couple of the years and would like to thank J'OB for hosting this fabulous site. He is a true fan and does team Ferry proud with this adjunct to their official offering.

Windswept's decision is only driven by recent events insomuch as he is not really a social media sort of guy. He doesn't do Facebook or twitter. His only other foray into this world concerns his favourite author. Other than that he really prefers to communicate face to face or by OMAS.

That said, he always thought that this forum was a worthwhile exception because of the great posters that had so many creative and often amusing reflections on their life of Ferry.

At the end of the day it comes down to the fact that, unlike Annabel's, there is no real door policy with the internet. W2 has always subscribed to the view that Roxology is a broad church and that 'All Styles' should be served here. The emphasis though was always on style and this is why he has chosen this thread to resign on.

When he looks through it, it demonstrates a great and creative exchange between true fans that have real style. It was so much fun and was a world apart from recent nonsense.

Unfortunately, cyber space, unlike Annabel's, has no door policy. When those devoid of style arrive you can't just shut them out. They find a way in. Either through the window or down the chimney and this is something that W2 doesn't want to be associated with.

He is sure that team Ferry will look at this site from time to time and the nonsense will hurt because there is a big difference between justified criticism and nonsense and Windswept has no desire to be associated with gutter stuff.

W2, lui-même, will never understand why our hero released "IYLSE' but that's a justifiable criticism. N'est - ce- pas? It was an assault in the ears and a momentary lapse of reason in an otherwise stella career.

Surely it is possible to make these points with a modicum of decorum without lapsing into some sort of offensive dysfunctional rant ?

Enfin avant qu'il dit au revoir, W2 would like to wish all summer fandangoists a great gig and if you bump into our hero don't forget to ask him the following MAIS in this order:

1) When will he release the AEWBF DVD/CD set ?
2) Will there be a Jazz Age2 ?
3) Why does he prefer Anderson & Sheppard to Chittleborough & Morgan ?

Ferry on and remember, if you can't be good - be cool.

"More Than This, There Is Nothing."

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 am 

Mr W - don't go !!! It's me that has grown tired of Mr F and his music !! You should stay here and enjoy the company of your fellow Ferry fans .. Really , I'm sure if we had been speaking face to face we would have found lots to agree on and we would be laughing through our disagreements ( even if I'd slipped uninvited and unannounced down a chimney ) I shall do the right thing and leave you all to your fandango's before the whole forum goes a bit last verse of Bittersweet ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:42 am 

Windswept2,

Man, I'm saddened by this announcement, the vast majority of posts on here are eloquent and I have always enjoyed yours.

For the same reasons as you; I don't do social media stuff and I sympathise with your reaction.

You will be missed my friend.

Love.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 am 

WS2;

Please Don't Leave...

Your Elegant, Entertaining Insight
Will Be Sorely Missed...

You brought Such Fun
To The Hallowed Halls..

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It Just Won't Be the Same Without You

Post Script...
I Will Bring Your List to the Tyne Ferryfest WS2..
Just In Case... ;) :)

And I am going to Assume
Until I look it Up
That Anderson and Sheppard VS Chittleborough and Morgan
Are Tailor References... 8-) :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 pm 

Windswept2

I echo the above comments and hope that you reconsider your decision to leave these hallowed cyberhalls. They will be very much the poorer without your wit and wisdom on all matters Ferry and beyond.

Your reference to Bryan's erratic tour itinerary planners as "the gang that can't shoot straight" caused me much mirth at the time and since :)

Sincerely

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:49 pm 

I am very shocked at your announcement, M. Windswept.

Your postings were always profound, carefully worded and they used to have a good sense of humour. Although I know that all things must pass I would like to propose to you having a break instead of leaving VRM completely.

Roxology is a broad church as you always wrote. And therefore not the church leader should leave but the person who is infrequently dropping by to let out his frustration.

Pensez à ceci, M. Windswept - à bientôt?

- pm -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:27 pm 

Cher W2!
Ne quitte pas, s`il te plait! Tu es le meilleur entre nous!

Have a nice summer all of you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:49 pm 

W2,

Klaatu barada nikto

You are one of few on the forum that I enjoy reading mainly your positivity, knowledge and enduring enjoyment of all things Ferry bar IYLSE!

Hope you return soon.

Topiary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:30 pm 

Klaatu Barada Nikto

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments:
gort_by_caberwood-d4lj0bl.jpg
gort_by_caberwood-d4lj0bl.jpg [ 126.93 KiB | Viewed 13613 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm 

Olde thread I know but a great one. I've been away a long time from cyberian world, dealing with real life stuff, O the horror of it all. :shock:

I see that W2 bailed but returned, there's a relief, since he is the only one on this planet who cheerfully assumes that we are all aging elegantly and hipsters to boot; such optimism is a necessary thing in this increasingly wack-a-doodle world.

I see also teresa's great success in giving Mr. Ferry the Monroe artwork, and am pleased to see that her interest in art continues under full steam. Hi Teresa :)

And that Ferry continues his (to me) astonishing/inspiring work ethic, although I continue in my perhaps-futile hope that he'll make some time to also write us a book about his remarkable life and songs.

Lyrics, I was so happy to read this thread and don't really have anything brilliant to add other than to second some of the mentions. Someone brought up In Your Mind, for me also the entire song is lyrically fab (but I admit to a huge personal bias re: that song because it is emotionally very meaningful to me.)

Beauty Queen, all of it, but I can hear these two lines a thousand times and still be just as staggered by the writing craft as at the first listen:
Oooh the way you look makes my starry eyes shiver / Treasure so rare that even devils might care. Oh! 8-)

Great to see Casanova duly noted; so many brilliantly-worded songs!

Would You Believe, among my own favorites, so simple lyrically, but love this verse:
Well I'm sure I'll love you all my life
And in the morning too
Everything you have is out of sight
But even I can see through you

I suppose Psalm may not be everyone's cup of tea, don't know, but imo it's a bit of a masterpiece, opening lines imo are just . . . BOOM
Try on your love like a new dress
The fit and the cut your friends to impress

End of the Line, another simple song lyrically with a verse that 100% captures the heart's despair without any fancy bells and whistles:
Reached the point of no return
The more I see the more I stand alone
I see the end of the line

And, naturally, Bitter's End, that treat of a vocab class in itself :)
Give now the host his claret cup
And watch madeira's farewell drink
Note his reaction acid sharp
Should make the cognoscenti think

How lucky we are to have all this from Roxy/Ferry, lifetimes of contribution to enjoy and mull over - forevermore.

Well, I hope J.O.B. is thriving and as always thank you for running this forum; hope all are well and kicking up your heels as best you can because these days you've just gotta do it.

;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next