VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: GREAT QUOTES !
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:05 pm 

I was aware of the info you provided, Gardner (and likewise Windswept2), but have never seen one of these early promo pressings.

I was hoping you might have been able to snag it for your collection, as it'll be very sought after now...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:12 pm 

Well .. I was only 15 at the time - and also , probably didn't think I had to grab this sleeve / album because I thought that it would be easily available in a few weeks time . I remember being slightly disappointed in the eventual sleeve because in my obsessive fanboy mind I'd imagined owning the original version !!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:58 pm 
Site Owner

The original track listing is here:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_20.php

I have seen a full size proof art of the original sleeve concet in Studio One.

I also know someone who had a copy and wanted to sell it for £2000..........I only had £1999 in my piggy bank so I passed on that one.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 pm 

John - I'm almost 100% sure that Hold on I'm coming was playing in that wee Livingston Record store !! I know it was a long long time ago ... But I'd never heard that song before and I held on to that chorus in the weeks after in anticipation... However, it was the original sleeve ..........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:32 am 

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Windswept likes Mark Coleman's assessment of 'Avalon' for Rolling Stone magazine:

"This austere and beautiful set of songs represent a mature peak. The controlled chaotic edge of the early albums is completely gone, and cofounders Manzenera and Mackay provide only skeletal guitar and sax lines. Ferry fills in the details, creating layered synth landscapes around his tragic scenarios and melodic rumations. Avalon's pervasive influence on the British pop scene can't be overstated. Roxy's stature is further enhanced by the absence of a latter-day comeback album."

W2 thinks he sums up this iconic master piece well albeit he underplays Phil and Andy's contribution. At the end of the day there is skeletal and skeletal and they added skeletal genius. Sometimes less is more.
His point about the absence of a latter-day comeback album enhancing their status is spot on and something that often crosses Windswept's mind when haunters of this hallowed cyber hall lobby for a new Roxy LP.
The fact that they stopped after one of their defining moments adds enormously to their prestige and this probably isn't lost on our hero.
If they came with another approach, a movie score for instance, that might be different but to come with something less than 'Avalon' would just be sad.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:24 am 

Many thanks to John and Gardner for The Bride Stripped Bare background. I had no idea there was a different cover or indeed a different track listing. I think Bryan got it right with the version he released, although When She Walks in the Room might have been the perfect way to close the album.

One question for both, though. Was his version of Feel the Need, which had a fantastic orchestral backing, part of those sessions or was it recorded later? I remember it being on the Windswept EP in 1985.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:41 pm 

You'll find your answer here, Jesmond:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/songs_154.php

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:32 pm 

If there was enough material recorded for a double album, TBSB (in PMNSHO) would be the ideal candidate for an extended re-issue including 'Feel The Need', 'He'll Have To Go', 'Broken Wings' etc. What about this idea, J.O'B. ;-) ?