VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cher Windswept2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:12 pm 

I seem to remember wearing jeans, t-shirt and Adidas trainers to the 'Manifesto' tour.

"All styles served here" - or in my case definite lack of style lol! Tho the music still sounded as good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:32 pm 

Dear Alan
Jeans and t shirt can be one of the most stylish modes of attire. One of my favourites (I almost only wear denim, sorry W2, these days). James Dean and All I want is you era ferry can't be wrong. However, W2 was not condemning the concept of stylish rakes wearing Japanese selvedge denim and loop wheel Tees. No. It was the complete dominance of either ill-fitting wool/poly mix suits (wrinkled after a hard day at work, no doubt) and post gardening sweatshirts, that galled.
rs

ps no offence to any big- or non-dressers here. This is (almost entirely, but not quite completely :D ) tongue in cheek. And those who know me will appreciate the irony of me remotely dissing what anybody might look like :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm 

No offence taken. But in all seriousness I have no fashion sense whatsoever, so best I don't even make an attempt. When I first heard 'Street Life' on the radio I had no idea what the band looked like so initially got into them just from the 'sound'. My memory of the Manifesto tour is somewhat vague, (audience, not band and songs), but I do seemingly remember being surprised how few fellow audience members seemed to dress up for the only gig I attended at Hammersmith.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 pm 

My dearest Windswept,
how can I ever apologise enough for my delay in responding to your reply of October last year!? Well, I can't ... or maybe I can! Yes, I'm confused too but let me try.
You see, some people work long hours or awkward shifts but I work long and awkward weeks!? This is where the concert attendance and dress code come into play.

First and foremost thank you for the award of the dark blue knitted tie, though I fail to see its relevance to me? Secondly, I have seen yet another 7 shows thus making 15 since May '15. As a fan I see nothing spectacular about this, just doing what I love. I must stress that I am not in the habit of boasting, it's a pointless exercise and wins no favours.

I am extremely impressed that you saw Ferry as far back as '67! Was this due to living in the same town or going to the same school/university etc'? Please tell.

Now, let's get back to the dress code malarkey. Many years ago I worked for Virgin Atlantic as a flight attendant. However, there was an unwritten rule that one should seek other employment when one reached the ripe old age of 40! Of course this is most definitely not the case today. At that time I adopted the fashion of the airline: GI cap, neck scarf, vest top, pencil skirt and stilettos but of a different colour scheme to demonstrate my loyalty at Roxy & Ferry shows. I have toned things down in recent years but still prefer the same basic dress.

Regarding your astonishment with concert attendances I now work as a tour guide with a fleet of cruise liners. This means that I work a 10 day shift, 7am to 7pm. I am contracted for 46 weeks a year yet find it difficult to get a weekend off or a decent holiday. But it does mean that I get to many countries & cities that I might not otherwise manage.

I really do feel embarrassed when I see the total lack of care taken for a night out with Roxy or Ferry. Some parts of the country are grossly worse than others with the casual effort of going to the pub demonstrated at the front of the stage.
What kills me is that those people paid good money for tickets the same as I did so why not make a little effort and dress the part!? Actually, they would have paid a lot more if they had to travel or seek accommodation.

There are many photos on Google or Facebook etc, showing the audience but I still struggle to see those demonstrating the "Ferryesque chic" code.

End of rant, make of it what you may. :shock:

Once again forgive my tardiness.
Yours, HR