VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ferry's Best Decade
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:27 am 

As Ferry is now in his 70's I've been musing about which decade many would consider his finest. i.e. from the 1970's onwards.

If the 70's were to be his finest , which I suggest that many on this forum would say, then sadly his muse has been in decline ever since . (But what a high point and what a decline!).

So , I'm offering up the 2010's as his best decade, and we're just half-way through. Three albums out since 2010, a great back catalogue which he seems to be constantly touring , including a well-received reformed Roxy Music finale tour. And he has stature, an elder statesman of rock , who still can innovate, surprise and entrance audiences and critics.

Post subject: Re: Ferry's Best Decade
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:25 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
And he has stature, an elder statesman of rock , who still can innovate, surprise and entrance audiences and critics.

Philosophical Philanderers,

Doubtless the erstwhile DCJ will accuse him of quaffing that cool aid stuff but W2 does actually think that each of our hero's decades have been surprisingly equal in terms of his creative effort.

The '70s brought is the shock creativity and lyrical intensity of his ArtRock phase together with the start of a parallel solo career that showcased his ability to interpret "ready Mades" in a very unique and stylistic way. Eleven albums and seven tours - not a bad decades work!

The '80s brought stage two of Roxy culminating in the stunning 'Avalon' - surely one of the greatest albums in rock history. The decade also saw the first two albums in his noir quadrology that finessed a new dark style. Both 'Boys & Girls' and 'Bete Noire' shivered
W2's timbers. Four albums and three tours - not exactly asleep at the switch!

The '90s were perhaps his slowest decade in terms of volume with three albums and three tours but what creativity! These years brought us the monster LP that was part three in the noir quadrology, 'Mamouna' and the stunning step change that spawned a slew of ne'er-do-well impersonators; 'As Time Goes By'. It also has to be said that the ATGB tour was a high point in a history of phenomenal fandangos.
What a band!

The '00s was a frenetic live decade that saw the reformation of Roxy with their strongest ever line-up, set list and performances. The 2001 tour also spawned their best live album. Bryan's 'Frantic' tour was also an absolute monster and another career high that saw him finesse the ATGB line-up into a scintillating act to showcase his new solo album.
The decade finished with his tribute to his hero, Dylan, and a tour that saw him go back to basics with a heavy guitar based band. The chameleon of rock ever changing.

The '10s thus fare has seen a tour schedule that would have exhausted a man half his age that has included another 'Roxy' incarnation, the absolutely peerless AEWBF live fandango and two tours presenting his solo albums. He has also given us three new LPs -
the creditable 'Olympia', the stunningly creative 'Jazz Age' and he has also turned his noir trilogy into a quadrology with the amazing 'Avonmore'. All of this and we are only half way through a decade that sees the taste tarantula in amazing form!

Frankly, when you look back at this lot, IWNSHO, there is only Robert Plant and laughing Lenny Cohen that have shown remotely similar levels of creativity. Maybe, had he lived, Robert Palmer might have given him a run for his money but as things stand The Bonny Lad remains one of one.

And as for the best; "Next time is the best time we all know."

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:18 pm 

Hi everyone,

The 70's for me without question. After this period I feel that BF was equally brilliant and average depending on your taste. I must add that in my opinion that for Windswept to describe "Avalon" as stunning is absurd and to hail it as one of the greatest albums in rock history is ludicrous. I apologise in advance to anyone who takes offence at my opinion and taste.

Cheers,
Zappa.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:41 pm 

Maybe 'Avalon' was Roxy's last hurrah and BF's first solo album of his 'noir' period (™ Windswept2) at the same time. Remember 'To Turn You On' didn't include any instrumental track from Manzanera/Mackay!

His best period? Of course the 70s. Not only because I was young and eager for new adventures in music but also because Bryan was young, extremely creative and productive. And, of course, because it was the decade of Roxy Music as a recording band.

I love 'Bete Noir', I like 'As Time Goes By' and I often play 'Avonmore' but nothing compares to the 70s, in PMNSHO ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:35 pm 

pianoman wrote:

Cher Pianoman,

"Maybe 'Avalon' was Roxy's last hurrah and BF's first solo album of his 'noir' period"

Mon Dieu, if true -and you make a great point- this would make his noir opus a pentalogy!

"His best period? Of course the 70s. Not only because I was young and eager for new adventures in music but also because Bryan was young, extremely creative and productive. And, of course, because it was the decade of Roxy Music as a recording band."

C'est vrai but aren't all Roxologists eternal? And aren't we all still "looking for something I've always wanted but was never mine"?

"I love 'Bete Noir', I like 'As Time Goes By' and I often play 'Avonmore' but nothing compares to the 70s, in PMNSHO "

W2 think it's really interesting to know what Roxologists are actually listening to as distinct to what they think they are listening to or, might like people to think that they are listening to?

Windswept lieu-meme has been listening a lot to 'The Tollwood Tapes',
'Le Grand Rex 2000', 'Live In Lyon', 'Roxy Music Live 2001' & 'Avonmore'.

In short lashings of live Ferry and the latest. The live sessions help him thru' his gym sessions whilst covering all the decades but in a way that is selected by the maestro himself and Avonmore because he loves the title track and the genius interpretation of 'Johnny and Mary'.

W2's listening isn't, en ce moment, focused on any particular epoc and is a testimony to all Ferry being good Ferry (except 'Is Your Love Strong Enough').

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:44 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
W2 think it's really interesting to know what Roxologists are actually listening to as distinct to what they think they are listening to or, might like people to think that they are listening to?

Windswept lieu-meme has been listening a lot to 'The Tollwood Tapes',
'Le Grand Rex 2000', 'Live In Lyon', 'Roxy Music Live 2001' & 'Avonmore'.

In short lashings of live Ferry and the latest. The live sessions help him thru' his gym sessions whilst covering all the decades but in a way that is selected by the maestro himself and Avonmore because he loves the title track and the genius interpretation of 'Johnny and Mary'.

W2's listening isn't, en ce moment, focused on any particular epoc and is a testimony to all Ferry being good Ferry (except 'Is Your Love Strong Enough').

Salutations,
W2

Cher M. Windswept,

I have watched the 'Grand Rex' DVD several times and think that was Ferry at it's best. Maybe he never reached such a level of perfection again - the Pasadena Roof musicians were simply fantastic! I particularly enjoyed gems like 'Chance Meeting', 'Casanova' + 'Bitter Sweet'. Besides that I often play my musical 'bible', the RM box set, especially the 'inbetweens' (as a journalist called them) 'Stranded', 'Country Life' + 'Siren'. When I was young I missed Eno, but nowadays I think these three albums have a quality of their own. Concerning the present decade of Ferry-tales I hope we are far away from the 'end of the line' ;-)

Au revoir, -pm-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:05 am 

Bonjour!
Mais oui, W2, tu as raison, comme toujours!

The reason why our hero stays on top and that he is not really comparable to others. is that he is not only an artist but "un artiste". It means thar he will continue to create as long as his health admitts doing so.

What i listened to recently: Frantic, Avonmore, Olympia, Lyon and of course my weekly dosis of Mamouna.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:47 am 

For me without doubt the 70's. The first 5 Roxy albums and the first 4 solo albums which IMHO were his best. Since then it has been slightly less good. Sorry W2 but Avalon is the 8th best Roxy album. Would be boring if we all had the same opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:18 pm 

While there is gold (and plenty of it) to be found in every Ferry decade, I don't think anything can quite match his creative output in the 70s.

The first half of that decade gave us the best of Roxy (the very best of which was FYP, although only narrowly ahead of Stranded), while its second half spawned the masterpiece that is TBSB and the almost criminally overlooked (including, it sometimes seems, by BF himself; I believe he once described it as his least favourite album) IYM.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:30 pm 

[quote="pianoman"]

I have watched the 'Grand Rex' DVD several times and think that was Ferry at it's best. Maybe he never reached such a level of perfection again - the Pasadena Roof musicians were simply fantastic! I particularly enjoyed gems like 'Chance Meeting', 'Casanova' + 'Bitter Sweet'.

Cher Pianoman,

You are clearly a gentleman of consummate good taste.

Windswept violently agrees with your assessment of the 'Grand Rex' ATGB fandango.

The stars were completely aligned that night. We had the perfect set list, the perfect band, the perfect sartorial input and an absolutely pitch perfect performance et en plus, nos amis Francais adored it.

It was, IWNSHO, undoubtably his greatest performance ever and to hit such a high at age 55 was, in itself, quite remarkable. He came perilously close with AEWBF in Brighton 2013. The arrangements were as good but malheureusement at 68 'As Time Goes By' !

Salutations,

Windswept