VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hello to all Viva members Some comments from a new member
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:21 am 

Hello to all fellow members on this site!
I've just recently joined and am glad to see so many other people who are fascinated, captivated and passionate about Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry. In all the postings in various places I've read we ( Roxy and Bryan Ferry admirers) are extremely passionate, (almost rabidly so) about this music. I think what attracts us all is a combination of very very unique style , expressive lyrics and genuine creativity. His musicians are always excellent. Mr Ferry seems to be a true gentleman as well. I recenty sent an emaiI to Bryan Ferry's site mentioning that we lost my beautiful husband David to lung cancer this March 7th, and how many people always remarked about how much he resembled him physically and how he was a great fan of his music. I mentioned how very comforting that was. Within a half hour I received a personal , kind and sincere reply from Mr Ferry, which I will always appreciate.

I had read or heard an interview with Bryan Ferry and he was asked "what his average fan might be" to which I believe he replied "None of my fans are "average" ;) Not that there is an elitist quality to his music but a general unique spohistication that attracts certain fans and admirers. I agree, not that Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry are an acquired taste that the general masses dont appreciate, but I think that's the reason that Roxy wasn't much, much more listened to here in the US. Im hoping that he keeps doing what he does best for a long time to come!

Post subject: Re: Hello to all Viva members Some comments from a new membe
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:37 am 

Cher Teresa,

What a lovely post and welcome aboard.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:13 am 

teresa wrote:
I had read or heard an interview with Bryan Ferry and he was asked "what his average fan might be" to which I believe he replied "None of my fans are "average" ;) Not that there is an elitist quality to his music but a general unique spohistication that attracts certain fans and admirers. I agree, not that Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry are an acquired taste that the general masses dont appreciate, but I think that's the reason that Roxy wasn't much, much more listened to here in the US. Im hoping that he keeps doing what he does best for a long time to come!

There are some built in contradictions in this passage in the name of politeness, I guess. So you don`t think that RM or BF are an acquired taste that the general masses don`t appreciate? But you think that the reason why Roxy wasn`t much listened to in the US was that there is a general unique sophistication that attracts certain fans and admirers? Well, I agree. On the net I`ve seen BF labeled as "sophisto rock". I remember when returning from a BF gig by train in 2003, a guy beside me came to know where I`d been. He said, "Hmm, Bryan Ferry, that`s special music. I would never go to see him. I`d prefer A-ha."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Owner

Welcome to VRM Teresa.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:04 am 

Hi Teresa,

welcome to the club ;) Sorry to hear about your husband.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:41 am 

Hi Teresa,

Welcome; I'm so pleased Bryan responded to you, it must have been heartwarming and some comfort after a dreadful loss.

The lack of success in the USA, compared to Roxy's domination in Europe, has often been debated on this site and, being simplistic, the general view is as you indicate, they were too elitist for AM radio, and too experimental or not rock enough for FM radio. We did not have the vast range of different musical sources/strongholds "informing" our taste. In the UK the lads were championed early on by journalist Richard Williams and legendary DJ John Peel, we hugely valued their opinions and that generation of early fans devoured every single word about the band, it was almost like being in a cabal. The very limited number of music shows on TV, similarly, was devoured by the same relatively small audience, we only had Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test.

On a lighter note, like your David (and Windswept2), and loads of guys, I modelled my appearance on Bryan when I was young, and, living not far from Bryan's birthplace, even managed to trick some local girls into believing I was his brother (obviously they weren't aware he didn't have one!!!). Shame on me... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:02 pm 

Chère Teresa, I really liked your post. Bienvenu!
Et merci à W2 et Smudge for great reviews. After a somehow difficult year, BFwas able to finsih the tour with a bravado.
High on my wish list: A live album/dvd; from this year as well as from the magnificient tour with BFO. Allez!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:55 pm 

[quote="rendezvous"]

The lack of success in the USA, compared to Roxy's domination in Europe, has often been debated on this site

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

Windswept finds this topic endlessly fascinating.

W2 was lucky enough to reside in the good old USA for ten years ('00 to '10), and was fortunate to attend some fabulous sold out Ferry & Roxy fandangos and pressed the flesh with some extremely enthusiastic Roxologists. When he asked them why our heroes didn't achieve the success that they did in Europe the answer was, as the great rendezvous suggested, partly linked to radio segmentation.

But, for the most part, the feeling was that as they were quickly successful in Europe, they didn't focus on the East and West Coasts and they weren't prepared to put in the long term "support act" slog that was then required to make your bones state side.

It's also worth mentioning that not even the great 'Velvets' achieved commercial success in the US albeit their posthumous importance is widely recognised. W2 thinks it's the same with Roxy. Peut-être leur musique etait un peut trop sophistique for middle America albeit our hero sells out at The Beacon in nano seconds.

It would be great to here our American brethren's take on this.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:29 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Cher Teresa,

What a lovely post and welcome aboard.

Salutations,

W2

Thank you for your kind welcome Windswept2!
I have read a few of your interesting postings and look forward to catching up on many of the past postings and discussions as well as the new ones. Thank you again Windswept2, you are very kind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:44 am 

le freak wrote:
teresa wrote:

There are some built in contradictions in this passage in the name of politeness, I guess. So you don`t think that RM or BF are an acquired taste that the general masses don`t appreciate? But you think that the reason why Roxy wasn`t much listened to in the US was that there is a general unique sophistication that attracts certain fans and admirers? Well, I agree. On the net I`ve seen BF labeled as "sophisto rock". I remember when returning from a BF gig by train in 2003, a guy beside me came to know where I`d been. He said, "Hmm, Bryan Ferry, that`s special music. I would never go to see him. I`d prefer A-ha."

Hello and Thank you for your reply Le Freak.
Yes I was trying to express that as politely as I could, and a fellow member also added that Roxy Music just was'nt given the radio air time here in the US that they were given in Europe. Im sure that played a big role in their popularity here as well. It's so much easier now to discover new types of music via internet. I have found so many types of new (to me at least) music on the internet that I never would have had such easy access to in the past. Music like Groove Armada, Slim, Unn, and so many more that would not have been given much radio air time in the past.
I really wonder what your travel companion meant by "special music" ;) and it's too bad he's missing out!

Last edited by teresa on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.