VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello to all Viva members Some comments from a new membe
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:07 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
rendezvous wrote:

The lack of success in the USA, compared to Roxy's domination in Europe, has often been debated on this site

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

Windswept finds this topic endlessly fascinating.

W2 was lucky enough to reside in the good old USA for ten years ('00 to '10), and was fortunate to attend some fabulous sold out Ferry & Roxy fandangos and pressed the flesh with some extremely enthusiastic Roxologists. When he asked them why our heroes didn't achieve the success that they did in Europe the answer was, as the great rendezvous suggested, partly linked to radio segmentation.

But, for the most part, the feeling was that as they were quickly successful in Europe, they didn't focus on the East and West Coasts and they weren't prepared to put in the long term "support act" slog that was then required to make your bones state side.

It's also worth mentioning that not even the great 'Velvets' achieved commercial success in the US albeit their posthumous importance is widely recognised. W2 thinks it's the same with Roxy. Peut-être leur musique etait un peut trop sophistique for middle America albeit our hero sells out at The Beacon in nano seconds.

It would be great to here our American brethren's take on this.

Salutations,

W2

Hello Windswept,
I just love your terminology! Roxologists :D and greetings; Elegantly Ageing Hipsters
Those are good points you brought up about the level of popularity Roxy and Bryan Ferry acheived here in the US being due to a combination of all those factors. And they were perhaps a little too sophisticated for the musical tastes of middle America as you said. But as the internet opens up new opportunities for more people to be exposed to new things (music included) I think more people will discover what they've been missing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:10 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Welcome to VRM Teresa.

J.O'B.

Thank you John. There are very interesting thoughts and discussions here and I look forward to catching up on all of them!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 am 

Oberon wrote:
Chère Teresa, I really liked your post. Bienvenu!
Et merci à W2 et Smudge for great reviews. After a somehow difficult year, BFwas able to finsih the tour with a bravado.
High on my wish list: A live album/dvd; from this year as well as from the magnificient tour with BFO. Allez!

Thank you for your kind reply Oberon !
I really enjoy seeing the "making of" videos like the one that was done by Bryans' son for Olympia. Hpope they put together one for Avonmore and I really hope with many many other US fans that he makes it back this next year. I'm sorry I do not speak French but can understand the words that you did use, I look forward to catching up on all the past and present posts and discussions here. Au revoir et etre bien !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:34 am 

Oberon wrote:
Chère Teresa, I really liked your post. Bienvenu!
Et merci à W2 et Smudge for great reviews. After a somehow difficult year, BFwas able to finsih the tour with a bravado.
High on my wish list: A live album/dvd; from this year as well as from the magnificient tour with BFO. Allez!

Thank you for your kind reply Oberon
I also would like to see a live album from this last tour as well as another "making of" video like Bryans' son did for Olympia. I am also hoping along with many, many other fans here in the US that Bryan will be coming back next year! I'm sorry I dont speak French but Merci, au revoir et etre bien!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:40 am 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Hi Teresa,

welcome to the club ;) Sorry to hear about your husband.

Thank you for your kind words Lonely Dreamer
I'm looking forward to catching up on all the past posts here as well as reading new ones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:58 am 

rendezvous wrote:
Hi Teresa,

Welcome; I'm so pleased Bryan responded to you, it must have been heartwarming and some comfort after a dreadful loss.

The lack of success in the USA, compared to Roxy's domination in Europe, has often been debated on this site and, being simplistic, the general view is as you indicate, they were too elitist for AM radio, and too experimental or not rock enough for FM radio. We did not have the vast range of different musical sources/strongholds "informing" our taste. In the UK the lads were championed early on by journalist Richard Williams and legendary DJ John Peel, we hugely valued their opinions and that generation of early fans devoured every single word about the band, it was almost like being in a cabal. The very limited number of music shows on TV, similarly, was devoured by the same relatively small audience, we only had Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test.

On a lighter note, like your David (and Windswept2), and loads of guys, I modelled my appearance on Bryan when I was young, and, living not far from Bryan's birthplace, even managed to trick some local girls into believing I was his brother (obviously they weren't aware he didn't have one!!!). Shame on me... :oops:

Thank you for your kind reply Rendezvous! It was very thoughtful and kind of Bryan to send his condolences, I had just been watching a video online that reminded me of David and there was a link to contact Mr Ferry. I just sent that short note and was certainly not expecting a reply. It really was comforting to hear back from him and it is comforting and sad as well that so much of his music reminds me of David.
I agree that exposure is a huge factor in the way people discover new music and thanks to the internet so many more people will be exposed to information and music that they would not have in years past. I have discovered so many types of music that I really love through sites like Youtube that I would not have even known about just a few years ago.
I dont blame you one bit for trying to pass as Bryan Ferrys' brother! ;)

Attachments:
20150926_131818~4~2.jpg
20150926_131818~4~2.jpg [ 86.1 KiB | Viewed 8700 times ]

Last edited by teresa on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:46 am 

Well now I see everything I wanted to try and say in my post perfectly summed up in the history section of Bryan Ferrys site BryanFerry.com It's a really well written piece that describes the music perfectly
I was wondering what exactly it is that attracts us so intensely to this music. Now I see it in writing and I understand when I just could'nt put my finger on it.
One of my favorite pieces of art is Edward Hoppers Nighthawks. For years I could not explain what exactly it was that I was so fascinated with. Then finally I read about it in an art appreciation class I took and there were the reasons. Same with Film Noir and the movie Bladerunner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:20 pm 

Hi Teresa,

thank you for your postings - welcome! It's good to have you here in this forum :-)

-pianoman-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:43 pm 

Welcome aboard the good ship Roxy Teresa. Hope you have a Really Good Time here. :)

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:54 am 

teresa wrote:
Well now I see everything I wanted to try and say in my post perfectly summed up in the history section of Bryan Ferrys site BryanFerry.com It's a really well written piece that describes the music perfectly
I was wondering what exactly it is that attracts us so intensely to this music. Now I see it in writing and I understand when I just could'nt put my finger on it.
One of my favorite pieces of art is Edward Hoppers Nighthawks. For years I could not explain what exactly it was that I was so fascinated with. Then finally I read about it in an art appreciation class I took and there were the reasons. Same with Film Noir and the movie Bladerunner
Roxy wrote:
Welcome aboard the good ship Roxy Teresa. Hope you have a Really Good Time here. :)

8-)

Hello Roxy,
Thank you for your kind welcome ! Love your greeting :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next