VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ferry's Best Decade
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:58 pm 

Oberon wrote:

The reason why our hero stays on top and that he is not really comparable to others. is that he is not only an artist but "un artiste". It means thar he will continue to create as long as his health admitts doing so.

What i listened to recently: Frantic, Avonmore, Olympia, Lyon and of course my weekly dosis of Mamouna.

Forensic Ferryistas,

W2 thinks the great Oberon makes the perfect point.

It is our hero's unerring good taste and restless creativity that ensures that his work transcends the decades.

He is, without doubt, the consummate artist - just look at the quality of his recent 'Johnny & Mary' short film. It says it all.

Has everything been perfect over the years? No - his '74 Gaucho outfit was a regrettable mis step but hey, even W2 has photos that he would prefer to keep private!

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:31 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Oberon wrote:

Has everything been perfect over the years? No - his '74 Gaucho outfit was a regrettable mis step but hey, even W2 has photos that he would prefer to keep private!

Salutations,

Windswept.

Yes, it deserved to be lampooned but I understand the logic behind the outfit. Antony Price was using classic cinema as a fashion influence. He nailed it with Bogart's tux, Elvis' GI Blues uniform and Rhett Butler's Gone with The Wind confederate soldier. Unfortunately, Valentino's gaucho outfit was open to derision because of its blousy high-camp posturing. Antony had great vision and taste, after all he was the Godfather of the New Romantic look. Unfortunately, the usually impeccable Ferry/Price taste combo got that one wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:16 am 

Zarathustra wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
Oberon wrote:

Salutations,

Windswept.

Yes, it deserved to be lampooned but I understand the logic behind the outfit. Antony Price was using classic cinema as a fashion influence. He nailed it with Bogart's tux, Elvis' GI Blues uniform and Rhett Butler's Gone with The Wind confederate soldier. Unfortunately, Valentino's gaucho outfit was open to derision because of its blousy high-camp posturing. Antony had great vision and taste, after all he was the Godfather of the New Romantic look. Unfortunately, the usually impeccable Ferry/Price taste combo got that one wrong.

Hedonistic Hipsters,

What a great summation from "another time loser " regarding the Ferry/Price sartorial partnership.

Zarathrusa is so right, Antony has great vision and taste and they certainly got more right than they did wrong. They brought real theatre to the music.

Windswept would love this hallowed cyber hall to create a gallery showcasing their looks over the years - it could be a fitting tribute n'est ce pas ?

Malheureusement there may not be the visual materials available as happily all of this was pre-selfie and people didn't wave those awful things around at fandangos!

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 am 

I was just looking at an old interview the other day where Bryan explained the idea behind the Gaucho look. I can't remember which one now but If I find it I will post his comments. It was something about the outfit not looking that bad but that one particular backstage photograph was the cause of a lot of criticism.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:11 pm 

It's a difficult question. What does 'best' mean - artistry, originality, commercial success, prolific output, impact on oneself?

To have 5 decades to choose from is amazing for an individual in this business. Also, I am not keen on using definitive time periods to judge an artists output. We all evolve organically not in 10 year periods.

I do like the idea of what we have most listened to recently. For me, the past few years have been mainly and often:

70's - In Your Mind / Bride Stripped Bare
90's - Mamouna
00's - As Time Goes By (strictly '99 but tour stunning)
10's - Avonmore

He arrived with Big Bang of energy and originality (70's). Developed his own style and following. Enjoyed commercial success (80's) when mainstream caught up and he found his girl. Took a period of introspection (90's) to find a new path and his mojo. Since 2000 has enjoyed a fruitful second wind touring (including Roxy) and creating his own original music.

I do believe that the best is now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm 

Topiary wrote:

I do like the idea of what we have most listened to recently. For me, the past few years have been mainly and often:

70's - In Your Mind / Bride Stripped Bare
90's - Mamouna
00's - As Time Goes By (strictly '99 but tour stunning)
10's - Avonmore

Forensic Ferryistas,

A great summary from the ever eloquent Topiary et en plus, W2 does think it is hugely interesting to hear which Ferry you are listening to (providing it's not 'IYLSE')

Salutations,
Windswept