VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC INFLUENCED BY FERRY
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:16 pm 

Forensic Ferryistas,

Windswept is not suffering from threaditis, he knows that the ghosts who haunt this hallowed cyber hall have discussed music influenced by Ferry/Roxy before but hopefully not in this way.

Normally, when this subject is broached the focus is on the historical or the hysterical. That arch Ferry impersonator, The Thin White Duke, is trotted out or heaven's forbid, Duran Duran, Siouxie & The Banshees, Talk Talk and other assorted n'er do wells from days gone by.

W2 thought it may be fun to focus on artists that have launched in this millennium who may have been influenced by The Bonny Lad.

At the end of the day, who knows who listens to who but Windswept thought he would start the ball rolling with the excellent Lana Del Ray.

W2 has no idea if she has been seduced by our hero's music but, when he listens to her output to-date and very specifically her latest opus, 'Honeymoon' it is difficult to imagine that she has not been enthralled by Ferry's noir quartet.

The sweeping soundscapes, the melancholy mood,the adult lyrics, the songs of dangerous love — it's all there and the whole thing gives off a very Ferryesque vibe. Stand out tracks include 'Art Deco', 'Salvatore', 'The Blackest Day' and her interpretation of the classic ready made, 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'

IWNSHO, it is a must for any self respecting Roxologist.

Opinions and alternatives s'il vous plait.

a bientôt,

Windswept

Post subject: Re: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC INFLUENCED BY FERRY
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:45 pm 

V interesting...& let us not forget that bryan & his merry jazzers covered lana's 'young & beautiful' on the triumphant jazz age 'gatsby' soundtrack...& indeed performed it at the Shepherd's Bush shindig...

There is an indie band called ladytron, & I'm sure many others are influenced by RM/BF....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:38 am 

Hello Windswept2
I just can't get enough of your postings :D
I also just love Lana Del Rey
She so reminds me of good 1940s film noir

Last edited by teresa on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 am 

Chèr W2,
merci mille fois for mentioning Lana Del Rey!

I am a dinosaur. Among other things it means that I am conservative when it comes to women and music. I can`t stand tattoos and I don`t like many other things women use do do these days either... But i listened to Lana´s music - and it was good, very good! I even wrote a wish list for my birthday to Mme Oberon; I would like to have all albums by Lana del Rey, please!
Bonne journée!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:36 pm 

[quote="paraphonix"]V interesting...& let us not forget that bryan & his merry jazzers covered lana's 'young & beautiful' on the triumphant jazz age 'gatsby' soundtrack...& indeed performed it at the Shepherd's Bush shindig...

Hedonistic Hipsters,
The great paraphonix is correct.
Indeed, TBFO also performed 'Young & Beautiful' at Brighton - what a night! How could Windswept have forgotten?
It would appear that they are already in a musical relationship - maybe there will be a duet on the new album?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:53 pm 

teresa wrote:

I also just love Lana Del Ray
She so reminds me of good 1940s film noir

Cher Teresa,
C'est vrai!
You are clearly a lady of consummate taste.
Ms.Del Ray absolutely personifies noir. She is a real femme fatale and reminds W2 of a character out of James Ellroy's LA quartet. In fact he thinks she would have been brilliant as The Bonny Lad's muse in his 'Johnny & Mary' movie albeit, Elisa Cummings did do an absolutely fantastic job.
Style with substance is so rare in this day and age and Windswept thinks Lana Del Ray has it.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:10 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Chèr W2,
merci mille fois for mentioning Lana Del Rey!

I am a dinosaur. Among other things it means that I am conservative when it comes to women and music. I can`t stand tattoos and I don`t like many other things women use do do these days either... But i listened to Lana´s music - and it was good, very good! I even wrote a wish list for my birthday to Mme Oberon; I would like to have all albums by Lana del Rey, please!
Bonne journée!

Cher Oberon,
W2 est très heureux that you are liking Ms. Del Ray - even the album art for 'Honeymoon' is tres Ferryesque - n'est ce pas?
Windswept hopes that Mme Oberon honours all of your birthday wishes.
Bon anniversaire when the big day arrives.
a bientôt,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 am 

Hello Windswept2,
I am thinking that the Eurythmics and maybe Depeche Mode were at least minimally influenced by Roxy? They aren't really this millenium but I really personally see the Roxy influence in both .

Last edited by teresa on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:19 am 

Hello Windswept2
Thank you for that wonderful reply and compliment ! Tu es si gentil ;)
I so love 40s and early 1950s film noir ! I am also a new member of a few of those discussion groups :)
I was looking around on "The Bonny Lads' '" (love it) site at some of his photos he took himself ( I think during the making of Olympia) and there are a few that caught my eye. Black and white film, simple subject chiarascuro. One was just a part of a trumpet, one was of some thimbles? I think that's what they were. But you can see his eye for light and dark, and I really agree with your view of the Johnny and Mary video. I think it's one of his best. Very Noir. I love the car and the cityscape. Are you also a Bladerunner aficionado? ;)
Noir films are exquisite! I do long for that time when "style with substance" as you said was more a part of film as well as music. Think the great swing kings like Glen Miller, etc. Unfortunately I am not of that era, born in 1960, but I really love that music because it had such "style with substance".
I think we would find a lot of Roxologists who are also passionate about Noir ! I've never read the James Ellroy quartet but would like to. With the possible exception of the Black Dahlia.
Much too dark for me. I met a man a few years back, a retired lawyer who wrote a fairly famous book about the real Black Dahlia murder. He seemed consumed by this, and when I read it and saw the real horror of the murder of that young beautiful girl, with images permanently burned into my mind of the victim, I wanted to forget .

I would also love to ask the Taste Tarantula himself more about the Johnny and Mary movie and find out what exactly was on his mind when he wrote Mother of Pearl. We should all get some questions together and send them to his email as our group. I'm sure we would get him to answer if he has time!
Would Windswept2 help ? I would be really thrilled to have our own questions personally answered!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:43 am 

I've mentioned Field Music before, they've done a couple of lovely homages to Roxy; the opening track of their Tones of Town album (cover photo taken in Louis' cafe in Sunderland, W2!), plus "New Town" and "I keep thinking 'bout a New Thing" from their magnificent Plumb album. I really love this band.

There's also Goldfrapp (Alison was great on San Simeon/Frantic too) before they went all hippy.
Daft Punk.
St. Etienne.