VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC INFLUENCED BY FERRYithed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:29 am 

RoxySiren wrote:
ps. She sounded great though. No issue about her voice or the band. Just a dark-matter performance that drained the will to live.

That doesn't sound very enjoyable to me either! When you go to see a performer, whether it's music, art or a play you expect certain things. She could have a really polished live concert with the right design. As Windswept2 was saying, she really has "style and substance", something that sets her apart from a lot of singers that we see now.

Post subject: Re: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC INFLUENCED BY FERRYithed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37 pm 

teresa wrote:
RoxySiren wrote:
ps. She sounded great though. No issue about her voice or the band. Just a dark-matter performance that drained the will to live.

That doesn't sound very enjoyable to me either! When you go to see a performer, whether it's music, art or a play you expect certain things. She could have a really polished live concert with the right design. As Windswept2 was saying, she really has "style and substance", something that sets her apart from a lot of singers that we see now.

Hipsters,
Sometimes W2 thinks that social media (this hallowed cyber hall excepted) and the associated technological paraphernalia are rotting our brains.
The Windswepts had the misfortune to be in a distinguished London eatery recently when the couple at the next table whipped out a one meter pole and started flashing away. Happily the maitre d' had the good sense to ask them to refrain.
That said, Lana Del Ray's reliance on social media is probably a defence mechanism by an artist who is yet to develop their stage personality. Also, she owes her break thru' to the internet when 'Video Games' went viral. Hopefully she'll come good.
Maybe our hero could give her a couple of tips? At the end of the day, he has finessed his stage craft to a fine art without anything looking remotely contrived. For the most part he lets the music do the talking but some of his stage sets and use of dancers and back drop movies has been quite elaborate. W2 thinks she could learn a lot from The Bonny lad.
Salutations,
W2

Post subject: Re: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC INFLUENCED BY FERRY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:07 pm 

Bravo! Well said Windswept2 :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:17 pm 

I have nothing against social media. I rather like it (!) and am a big user. VRM is social media, after all.
Just don't like everyone next to me watching a gig thru their phones....and the star act indulging in a private performance to a few people around her on the front three rows for 15mins+ only a couple of songs into the gig. Utterly bizarre.
Maybe I'll get back into those great songs...but, for me, it put me right off...the magic spell was broken that night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 pm 

My apologies in advance but Miss Lana's music is far too depressing for my jolly ears. Add to that her lack of charisma on stage and I would rather spend an hour in the dentist's chair. :|

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 pm 

Agree also RoxySiren ; true for me on all points.
That's really no way for an artist to perform a live concert and Windswept2 made a great point about
Taking some cues from the way BF does his concert arrangement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:21 pm 

Roxy wrote:
My apologies in advance but Miss Lana's music is far too depressing for my jolly ears. Add to that her lack of charisma on stage and I would rather spend an hour in the dentist's chair. :|

8-)

Hello Roxy;
Lanas' music could be considered depressing;
But to me in a good film noir type way. Bryan Ferrys' lyrics tend toward the melancholy as well, and my last post should have been What BF songs are actually happy :) instead of What are the most melancholy BF lyrics

Last edited by teresa on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 am 

Hello Windswept2,
Do you love his perfect use use of lighting as much as I do? That blue light :) And those stark white light rays in the last tour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:04 am 

So is there a contemporary artist out there who actually cites rm/BF as an influence? I can't think of many...and few good hip ones. But how about the excellent Metronomy? http://www.nme.com/news/metronomy/86377

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:10 am 

Are goldfrapp, arcade fire, ffs to be considered contemporary? I suppose so. Not new though. But (especially imo, the first two) rather excellent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next