VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC INFLUENCED BY FERRY
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:40 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Quote:
[quote="Windswept2
Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Un tres grand merci to our astute and discerning columnist, Rendezvous.
Thanks to his promotion of 'Field Music', this thread has struck gold. Windswept's intention was to find something interesting by mining the taste buds of kindred spirits and this band are fabulous.
W2 has invested in 'Tones of Town' and is loving it. These boys can really play and it's all genre defying stuff.
They are very difficult to categorise because their music embraces a plethora of different influences whilst, at the same time, managing to remain refreshingly original.W2 is sure that Roxologists who like their music a little Jazz infused will certainly go for it.
It also boasts a great cover featuring Louis' Cafe. It looks like this venue might have taken over from that Park Lane stalwart and Ferry favourite, the 'Biz Bar', as the haunt for the more discerning dilettantes. Windswept can imagine the old Annabel's crowd hanging out there - life repeats itself de temps en temps!
Final thought - wouldn't they be a great opener for a Ferry fandango?
They would bring a young crowd in whilst broadening the more mature hipster's horizons.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

Windswept2,

I'm so pleased you like them and thank you for your summation of their style, whenever I discuss this band I find it impossible to "nail" them to my satisfaction, some of their harmonies remind me of side 2 of Abbey Road. My eldest boy worked in The Bunker recording studios with them when they were preparing their first album, but I didn't know about it until much later!

Nostalgia - I think the Biz Bar was Notarianni's on the other side to Louis cafe, I can still smell their ice cream.....

Teresa - I like the Pet Shop Boys too, I've always felt "Coming Home" has the same yearning melody as More Than This.

Great to see the Bay City Rollers are reforming eh!

Love to you all.[/quote]

Rendezvous I agree with WS2s summary and comments Thank you for leading us to this great music! Teresa

Last edited by teresa on Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:41 pm 

teresa wrote:
rendezvous wrote:
Quote:
[quote="Windswept2
Thanks to his promotion of 'Field Music', this thread has struck gold. Windswept's intention was to find something interesting by mining the taste buds of kindred spirits and this band are fabulous.
W2 has invested in 'Tones of Town' and is loving it. These boys can really play and it's all genre defying stuff.
They are very difficult to categorise because their music embraces a plethora of different influences whilst, at the same time, managing to remain refreshingly original.W2 is sure that Roxologists who like their music a little Jazz infused will certainly go for it.
It also boasts a great cover featuring Louis' Cafe. It looks like this venue might have taken over from that Park Lane stalwart and Ferry favourite, the 'Biz Bar', as the haunt for the more discerning dilettantes. Windswept can imagine the old Annabel's crowd hanging out there - life repeats itself de temps en temps!
They would bring a young crowd in whilst broadening the more mature hipster's horizons.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

Windswept2,

I'm so pleased you like them and thank you for your summation of their style, whenever I discuss this band I find it impossible to "nail" them to my satisfaction, some of their harmonies remind me of side 2 of Abbey Road. My eldest boy worked in The Bunker recording studios with them when they were preparing their first album, but I didn't know about it until much later!

Nostalgia - I think the Biz Bar was Notarianni's on the other side to Louis cafe, I can still smell their ice cream.....

Teresa - I like the Pet Shop Boys too, I've always felt "Coming Home" has the same yearning melody as More Than This.

Love to you all.

Rendezvous I agree with WS2s summary and comments Thank you for leading us to this great music! Teresa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:42 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Quote:
[quote="Windswept2
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

Windswept2,

Love to you all.[/quote]

Cher Rendezvous,
In this crowded music market with its multiple delivery systems it is so easy to miss great music and without your recommendation, W2 would have salllied forth sans Field Music. This would have been sad for both Windswept and Field Music and illustrates the difficulties for bands and fans in the digital age.
The parallels between Field Music and Roxy Music are numerous but by the time Roxy had released three albums they had sustainable success and had benefited from significant social mobility.
From what W2 can see, Field Music have done a huge amount of work to perfect their craft and have produced a significant body of work yet the success that bands of their calibre achieved during the '60s & '70s illudes them.
Hopefully they are happy in their work and are managing to make ends meet but the fragmentation in the market doesn't bode well for the future of quality music.
Salutations W2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:19 pm 

Hedonistic Hipsters,
The incredible Anna Calvi has featured in Windswept's Chronicles before but it was some time ago et en passant.
Since then, much has happened for the delectable Ms.Calvi. Her second album has been released, 'One Breath' and it proved to be every bit as good as her self titled debut.
She has toured extensively, done special shows with the Heritage Orchestra and headlined at David Byrne's Meltdown.
W2 has seen her live and can vouch for the fact that she is a class act and is completely in control of both the visual aesthetic and the sonic!
Like all great artists there is a strong individuality to her work but the influence of our hero, in the guise of early Roxy, is omnipresent as is the influence of Ennio Morricone.
You feather boa lovers out there should love her!
Also, her album art and stage attire has a strong Roxy tinge to it. She was clearly heavily influenced by Bryan's Gaucho period - fortunately, it looks better on a woman!
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:45 pm 

Love it WS2!
Thank you for that post, she definitely sounds worth listening to

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:59 pm 

W2 thought he would resurrect this thread to broadcast that the incredible Field Music have a new LP out called 'Commontime'. It truly is a marvellous piece of work and he wouldn't want you more discerning dilettantes to miss it.

There isn't a dud track on it and IWNSHO it confirms the Brewis brothers as todays custodians of ArtRock and the spiritual heirs to Roxy Music. It is so fitting that they come from Sunderland.

Pitchfork's review says "Plays like a post-punk Steely Dan - jazzy, elegant and ultimately satisfying" and they aren't wrong.

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:54 pm 

Just listened to some snippets of 'Commontime' via iTunes. I don't know whether it's art rock but it seems to be a very good piece of music. Fresh voices, tricky harmonies & funky rhythms. A little bit of Split Enz, 10 CC, XTC and, of course, Steely Dan. Merci pour cette recommandation, M. Windswept ;) !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 pm 

Dear Windswept2,

I posted the news about this new Field Music album in general discussion (in "what other music do you like..") on 5th February!

I was disappointed nobody had picked up on it, so I'm relieved you found the album separately and have publicised it.

You're right, there's not a duff track on it, the vocals are stunning. I love the opener The Noisy days are Over, while Morning is Waiting is goose-bump emotional time, and Same Name is as funky as you can get.

They're playing a few low-key gigs in the USA; I can see a few Talking Heads fans adopting them....

All the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:03 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Dear Windswept2,

I posted the news about this new Field Music album in general discussion (in "what other music do you like..") on 5th February!

I was disappointed nobody had picked up on it, so I'm relieved you found the album separately and have publicised it.

They're playing a few low-key gigs in the USA; I can see a few Talking Heads fans adopting them....

All the best.

Cher rendezvous,

Je suis désolé - quel bordel!

W2 can't believe he missed this one.

IWNSHO Field Music and Richard Hawley are the musical finds of this century and he will be forever in your debt for the recomming FM - they are just so good and you are so right about the vocals on 'Commontime' they are really sublime and the analogy with 'Talking Heads' is just so spot on.

In a way, their state of play in the fame game is a concrete illustration of the way the music business has gone. Had they emerged in the '70s they would, without doubt, have been up there with Bowie and Roxy and would have been filling the RAH.

As things stand, they are five excellent albums in (plus side projects). All of which have been met with solid critical acclaim and they are regularly played on 6 Music.

Despite all of this, they are recording at their own little studio in Sunderland and are playing small venues you'd expect to see pub bands in.

What's more, their new album is already being streamed on Spotify and unless you want to have the vinyl, there is little point buying the LP.

A sad state of affairs n'est - ce pas?

Happily the Brewis boys are completely into their art so will doubtless continue but it does make you wonder about the future for professional musicians.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:44 pm 

Dear Windswept2,

I'm just so pleased you enjoy them, your analysis about the music scene then and now is perfect, these guys are artists that deserve rich rewards. It's my mission in life to spread the word, only the Blue Nile have meant so much to me since Roxy. I would love it if Bryan covered one of their songs.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, my eldest son knows the Brewis boys from their early days, last year he was having a drink in the Ivy House pub in Sunderland and was chatting to one of them, telling him "thanks to my dad, Staffordshire (where I live now) is where you're really big, " and the Brewis boy jokingly yanked his arm down and went "Yessss!!"

Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next