VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 'Avonmore' Special Edition
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:02 pm 

I got a full refund on mine before Christmas!

It wasn't my initial intention I just wanted answers as I couldn't fathom out why my pre order was dispatched early and arrived unsigned whilst still eligible to be selected. I thought that there had been some sort of mistake so I emailed Music Glue stating that the advertisement on BryanFerry.com says that ALL pre-orders purchased through BryanFerry.com before the 4th December were eligible to be randomly selected for a signed copy.

I ordered mine on 30th October and as it was dispatched on the 1st December and arrived unsigned, made me feel that this had been somewhat unfair and I wanted to know the process.
I was completely unsatisfied with the replies I got back which totally contradicted what was being advertised.....one reply was just blatantly wrong!

I wouldn't have mined one bit if my copy had arrived unsigned after the 4th Dec but that wasn't the case.

Anyway I was more than happy to receive a full refund + postage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:01 am 

When I first saw the price of this I admit I laughed and terms like 'lost the plot' sprang to mind. I was rather resolute that I would not part with £100. However I have to say I've mellowed over the festive period (too many mince pies have softened me up) and a £76 price tag was just enough to swing it. I'm pleased I bought it, though how much it'll be played is another thing entirely.
If anyone's interested I got it from grooves.land. They're based in Berlin, it was well packaged, arrived in 5 days and postage was free.
http://www.grooves-inc.co.uk/bryan-ferry-avonmore-special-edition-bmg-rights-management-dvd-cd-pZZa1-2097328223.html?language=en&currency=GBP&utm_source=froogle_uk&utm_campaign=froogle_uk&gclid=CISKzaeTrsoCFRQTGwodBIMOrA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:48 pm 

Thanks for the tip, UKRichard; I may weaken and follow it up. ;)

Was the item still sealed and was it numbered as part of the limited edition? I've read elsewhere that each copy had a numbered sticker (i.e. number x out of 1500) on both the shrinkwrap and cardboard packaging; just wondered if either sticker (or both) was present on the copy you bought? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:29 pm 

Helen wrote:

I ordered mine on 30th October and as it was dispatched on the 1st December and arrived unsigned, made me feel that this had been somewhat unfair and I wanted to know the process.
I was completely unsatisfied with the replies I got back which totally contradicted what was being advertised.....one reply was just blatantly wrong!

I wouldn't have mined one bit if my copy had arrived unsigned after the 4th Dec but that wasn't the case.

Anyway I was more than happy to receive a full refund + postage.

[/color]

Cher Helen,
You did absolutely the right thing.
Like you, W2 is a devout Ferryista and seldom finds it in him to be remotely critical of our hero's exploits.
That said, as artists seek to make up for declining royalties with other revenue streams they have to respect the rules that us other mortals play by and that involves the sale of goods act and the codes of practice pertaining to advertising.
Doubtless our hero doesn't oversee the details of his merchandising program personally and would probably die with his leg up if he knew how you'd been treat. That said, unfortunately for him it is his brand that is undermined by any sharp business practices or incompetencies.
On the positive front you've saved yourself some hard earned wonga that you can spend on a tour ticket!
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:28 pm 

Quote:
Was the item still sealed and was it numbered as part of the limited edition? I've read elsewhere that each copy had a numbered sticker (i.e. number x out of 1500) on both the shrinkwrap and cardboard packaging; just wondered if either sticker (or both) was present on the copy you bought?

Smudge - yes shrink-wrapped with a sticker on the shrink-wrap (mine is 752 - not, say, '752/1500'). Unless I'm missing something (perfectly possible!), I haven't seen numbering elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:44 am 

I see BF's FB page is now plugging a 500 Limited Edition pressing of 4 Avonmore remixes. I haven't checked to see if any of these are the 'exclusive' remixes on the Avonmore Special Edition, nor have I yet decided whether to part with a further £20 for the opportunity to own this latest offering! Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:55 am 
Site Owner

It looks like they are tracks 3,4,5,6 on one of the Re-mix CDs in the deluxe version of Avonmore:

http://vivaroxymusic.com/albums_116.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:18 pm 

Well, like you, I've given in to temptation, UKRichard! :lol:

I got a good price for some stuff I sold on eBay and the money burned it's way through my pocket in something close to record time. The Grooves Inc price had crept up bit by bit and Amazon.de became the cheapest option (at about £80).

I have this nagging doubt about finding them heavily discounted in a few months time (much like the super deluxe Olympia, which dropped from £50 to £15), but I saw one recently and it did look rather beautiful... Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised and all 1500 copies will sell, making £80 feel like good business?

When Avonmore arrives it'll sit on my shelf next to the folio edition (hardback book with 6 x 10 inch "singles") of The Jazz Age, which Mrs Smudge generously gave me for Christmas. I can just about blot out thoughts like "£150 for 40 mins of music on which BF neither sings, nor plays", having trained myself to repeat "only 500 copies worldwide, each signed & numbered by BF"! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm 

"£150 for 40 mins of music on which BF neither sings, nor plays", having trained myself to repeat "only 500 copies worldwide, each signed & numbered by BF"!

That's one I did resist (gorgeous though it was), although with hindsight it now makes the Avonmore SE seem like a snip. Entirely the wrong sentiment to express here though, the next one'll be priced at £200! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6