VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 'Avonmore' Special Edition
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:08 pm 

greetings all
my signed copy ordered from BF.com arrived last Thursday 3rd December..
thoughtfully dumped in my recycling bin by Yodel!..but thankfully undamaged..
have to say it is a thing of great beauty and having rediscovered vinyl during 2015.. very pleasing to play on the turntable..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:15 pm 

pianoman wrote:
As a die hard fan I feel a little bit like the milk cow of Bryan's team and that's disappointing. Hopefully they will spend their energy in the future in producing the long awaited Roxy deluxe editions ...

Hipsters,
Regular readers of Windswept Chronicles will know that he seldom, if ever, finds anything wrong with our hero's antics but on this occasion he finds himself in complete harmony with the great Pianoman.
Declining record sales allied to the growth in streaming is obviously leading to major names looking at ways to optimise their music and that's entirely legitimate.
That said, the new game requires more strategic marketing and not this fire, steady, aim approach that appears to have characterised some recent initiatives.
The fact that 'Avonmore' is a fabulous album is not in question. But fans have been bombarded with every format imaginable together with surreptitious bundling with concert tickets (W2 ordered a vinyl without even knowing he was doing it).
Surely, the time for an 'Avonmore' special edition is either at launch (a la Olympia) or on a future round anniversary. Not a year after launch - particularly when there is no compelling added value.
The fabulous 'Nuits de Fourviere' was, IWNSHO, the way to go. A great DVD/CD package that was a fabulous memento for those that had seen the tour and a great gift for those that hadn't. Furthermore it was beautifully packaged and correctly priced. W2 didn't know how quickly to get his wonga out of his pocket.
Conversely, although he hopes that haunters of this hallowed cyber hall get the signed editions they so richly deserved, Windswept continues to think he'll sit this one out and work on his 'Pyjamarama', RM logo, jim jam Christmas project.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:52 pm 

Bonsoir, mes amis!

Arrived - but not to be opened until Christmas!

Pianoman 's and W2 's thoughts makes sense, comme toujours, but I still believe that buying this deluxe&delightful for the sake of the collection if nothing else is not a bad thing to do!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Arrived - but not to be opened until Christmas!

As one who was expert at peeling the tape off presents to have a peek inside I admire your restraint Oberon!!

Fortunately I was instructed to order a copy for my birthday which was at the end of November and I duly obliged. Not having to wait when the package arrived I had it opened in a flash and was delighted to find I had been sent a signed copy!! I don't have much luck with raffles so had convinced myself that I would probably received an unsigned copy.

It is a lovely item, signed or unsigned. Is it value for money? That would depend on who is doing the buying. I am a collector but I don't collect everything that is available. I buy something if I like it and if it means something to me. Having seen Bryan perform 3 fantastic shows on the Avonmore Tour this special edition with the photograph book is a wonderful reminder of what has been a very special tour for various reasons.

The collector in me was slightly disappointed that the “ individually numbered limited edition” did not actually have a number anywhere on the item and the only indication of the number was a white label stuck on the cardboard packaging which would usually end up in the bin.

For those of you hanging on till Christmas good luck!!

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:06 pm 

As an avid music lover who also collects vinyl I'm not at all tempted to buy this. And I buy a lot of stuff from many artists. I find it way overpriced. I already own the cd and the vinyl. At least I would have expected a live dvd and cd from a whole show. ( no cuts). Unfortunately the contents of the box are not satisfying to splash so much money. I bet within a couple of months you'll find this on amazon or whatever at the third of the price now. Just like Olympia box. I'm also quite disappointed with the merchandise. Ferry being to sophisticated...
For instance Ryan Adams released a 6 vinyl box, limited. 3 recordings from live shows. That was worth spending 150€.
So I won't buy it...unless it's discounted, maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:00 pm 

Well, now that I have posted several times that I would never buy the 'Avonmore' SE I feel somehow obliged to be honest - at least in this forum. I did it :roll: .

Why? Um, in the end three postings have convinced me. I'm sure that it is a 'thing of great beauty' (duncanfyp), 'it is a wonderful reminder of what has been a very special tour for various reasons' (Roxy) and 'buying this deluxe & delightful for the sake of the collection if nothing else is not a bad thing to do' (Oberon).

I spent 111 € and haven't opened it yet. But I will do so within the next days 8-) . And of course I will post my impressions here. -pm-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:16 pm 

pianoman wrote:
I did it :roll: .

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:39 pm 

Ahhh Pianoman, the Ferry Force gets you in the end!

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:20 pm 

Now that some of us Ferrymaniacs have bought the Avonmore SE and opened their packages at Christmas like myself - what do you think about it? To say it frankly I will never buy any box set for 111 € again. I'm not into the vinyl thing (and never will be again) and I have bought this item only to own a complete Ferry collection. Even the remixes didn't really touch me although I enjoyed the Olympia remixes. So I was, of course, disappointed but I had almost expected this :? .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:27 am 

Cher pianoman et tout le monde. Bonne Année!

Although I am into vinyl, I have to agree with you; Deluxe&Delightfull is simply too expensive. Instead of the videos, especially the hideous Loop de li - an enigma that BF let such a monster free -, we should have been given a live dvd.

Anyone out there going to Oslo in May?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next