VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 'Avonmore' Special Edition
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 am 

Haha ! I just want music, music ! Not regurgitated remixes, coloured vinyl, ltd editions, photos, drawings, exended versions,T Shirts, Coasters, Pens, etc , etc. Its lazy.!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:52 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
That said, Windswept will confess to having a nice Smythson 'More Than This' note book — it is much admired and was seriously considering asking Mrs W for the 'Manifesto' version for Christmas. He's not sure Ian.S will approve but he thinks he'll do it anyway.

:lol:

Unfortunately these notebooks are also a bit beyond my current price range, but I've heard only good things about the famous Smythson of Bond St's Featherweight Paper. It has a very good reputation in the fountain pen community. Normally thin paper and fountain pens mutually exclude each other, but apparently the Smythson's notebooks hold up to their promise of being fountain pen friendly:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/79518-review-of-smythson-of-bond-sts-featherweight-paper/

http://www.biffybeans.com/2008/10/smythsons-featherweight-paper-holds-up.html

Please tell me that you don't use a ballpoint pen with this fabulous notebook, or I will gang up with Ian S against you :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:35 am 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
That said, Windswept will confess to having a nice Smythson 'More Than This' note book — it is much admired and was seriously considering asking Mrs W for the 'Manifesto' version for Christmas. He's not sure Ian.S will approve but he thinks he'll do it anyway.

Please tell me that you don't use a ballpoint pen with this fabulous notebook, or I will gang up with Ian S against you :evil:

Cher Lonely Dreamer,

Perish the thought - W2's Omas is an extension of his right hand!

Fountain pens forever, ballpoints never!

Salutations,

Windswept.

Ps. It would have been better if Ferry had been using his fountain pen in that superb Johnny & Mary movie but the type writer was pretty cool. W2 is still trying to track one down but he doesn't know how he'd contribute to the forum with it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:45 pm 

Cher Monsieur Windswept,

Windswept2 wrote:
Perish the thought - W2's Omas is an extension of his right hand!

that's a relief, how could I ever doubt you!

8-)

P.S.: an Omas is a fantastic choice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:02 am 

That is a high price for most , but I honestly love Avonmore. All of it.
I absolutely love the noir Johnny and Mary, I think it's one of his very best. The hearbreaking Lost, the whole feel of that collection.

A great review of Avonmore by John Schaefer of NPR talked about, " At age 69, Ferry still being a romantic, whether that means the rakish, slightly dangerous lounge lizard :lol: crooning his come hithers in "Avonmore", or the man wandering in the rain, lonely and heartbroken in "Soldier of Fortune".

It would be great if he could sign them all, but I think it's a nice touch to give everyone an equal chance for a signed copy, I really think they will be a collectors item, and only signing 100 will add to the exclusivity.

I think Bryans music just keeps getting better as he matures. It's been said many times, he is like a fine wine.

I personally hope he stays around 'til he's 105, it's going to be a darker, sadder place withhout him.

Last edited by teresa on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:05 am 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:

:lol:

Unfortunately these notebooks are also a bit beyond my current price range, but I've heard only good things about the famous Smythson of Bond St's Featherweight Paper. It has a very good reputation in the fountain pen community. Normally thin paper and fountain pens mutually exclude each other, but apparently the Smythson's notebooks hold up to their promise of being fountain pen friendly:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/79518-review-of-smythson-of-bond-sts-featherweight-paper/

http://www.biffybeans.com/2008/10/smythsons-featherweight-paper-holds-up.html

Again Lonely Dreamer, you have exquisite taste!! Agree about that beautiful notebook, I am lusting after one myself for a journal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:19 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Helen wrote:

I just hope that it comes back signed as I'm hoping to put it away and save it until Christmas day..not sure I'll succeed but I'll give it a go.
If it reveals an unsigned package I'll be gutted and back on here on Christmas day fully loaded with Martini and swearing like a trouper..... :o Should be good.

The ticking clock waits for no one

Cheerio x[/color]

Cher Helen,
W2 hopes it is a thing of great beauty and that it bares our hero's signature when it arrives chez-vous.
Unlike some of our feather boa loving brethren, Windswept applauds the fact that his product marketing efforts are put behind his more recent work rather than constantly revisiting the 'Roxy' catalogue.
That said, more live DVD/CD collections would, IWNSHO, be the way to go and the pricing is un peut tros particularly when the photos are available to view on line (http://www.matthewbeckerphoto.com)
IWNSHO, AEWBF CD/DVD collection would have been an absolute master stroke, as would a DVD/CD collection from the 'Avonmore', Roxy Heavy leg.
As to your question as to will you be the only one ordering? W2 seriously doubts that but he also seriously doubts that you will be killed in the rush but hey, time will tell.
In any event, enjoy and remember, all Ferry is good Ferry (except IYLSE).
Have a very Ferry Christmas when it arrives.
Salutations,
W2

Oh Windswept2,
Do you hate me because I honestly love IYLSE??? I cannot lie, I love it. Please don't be mad ;)
I am laughing so hard :lol: about your comment above, that you "also seriously doubt she will be killed in the rush"
I 'm so glad I found this site

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:39 am 

I found 'Avonmore' SE on jpc.de, the price is 110,99 € instead of 147,64 € on Bryan's site. Of course without the chance of getting an autograph. But only the chance ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:50 pm 

I know this isn't a news website (its a forum, an excellent one too) but I'm surprised that neither this site or Bryan's official thought it relevant to the consumer / fan to share the following, courtesy of Amazon

Disc: 4
1. Loop De Li (Leo Zero Remix) - Remixes CD 1
2. Loop De Li (Leo Zero Extended Dub Remix) - Remixes CD 1
3. Loop De Li (Ray Mang Remix) - Remixes CD 1
4. Midnight Train (Johnson Somerset Remix) - Remixes CD 1
5. Midnight Train (Idjut Boys House Remix) - Remixes CD 1
6. Midnight Train (Idjut Boys House Dub Remix) - Remixes CD 1
7. Soldier Of Fortune (Beard of Concern Stripped Remix) - Remixes CD 1
8. Driving Me Wild (Johnson Somerset Remix) - Remixes CD 1
9. Driving Me Wild (Leftside Wobble Dub Remix) - Remixes CD 1
10. Driving Me Wild (Leo Zero Dub Remix) - Remixes CD 1

Disc: 5
1. Driving Me Wild (Ray Mang Instrumental Dub Remix) - Remixes CD 2
2. Driving Me Wild (Synapson Remix) - Remixes CD 2
3. Avonmore (Idjut Boys Remix) - Remixes CD 2
4. Avonmore (Idjut Boys Dub Remix) - Remixes CD 2
5. Avonmore (Prins Thomas Remix) - Remixes CD 2
6. Avonmore (Johnson Somerset Remix) - Remixes CD 2
7. Lost (Johnson Somerset Remix) - Remixes CD 2
8. One Night Stand (Johnson Somerset Remix) - Remixes CD 2
9. Send In The Clowns (Metamorfozy Remix) - Remixes CD 2
10. Send In The Clowns (Leftside Wobble Remix) - Remixes CD 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:50 pm 

[quote="Topiary"]I know this isn't a news website (its a forum, an excellent one too) but I'm surprised that neither this site or Bryan's official thought it relevant to the consumer / fan to share the following, courtesy of Amazon

Cher Topiary,
Thanks for this - W2 was trying to find the track listings lui-meme.
Frankly, the perennial re-mix thing doesn't really turn him on.
That said he'd walk across hot coals from Newcastle for a DVD/CD set of AEWBF!
Mon Dieu, those horn arrangements were something else.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next