VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What Was Your First/Favourite Roxy Bryan Ferry Concert?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 am 

Hello Everyone;

I was talking with a really good forum friend the other day and he was telling me about his first Roxy concert experience.

I was interested to know some others.
Unfortunately one of the reasons for this post is I have never had the pleasure of seeing Bryan live :(
Hopefully that will change this year!

Post subject: Re: What Was Your First/Favourite Roxy Bryan Ferry Concert?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:44 am 

I have been lucky enough to have seen Roxy/Bryan many times.
My 1st Roxy concert was March 1973 at the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London on the FYP tour. A wonderful experience for a 15 year old.
I then saw Bryan solo at the Albert Hall, London in December 1974, this was a mini tour with full orchestra, only 3 concerts in total (Glasgow, Newcastle, London if I recall).
I have then seen him live on every tour since 1973 with the exception of this year as I now live in South Africa and can only manage a trip once a year to Europe which did not coincide with his concerts, although I did get to see Phil down near Southampton at the Curious Arts Festival.
I hope you get to see the man next year, it's always a great thrill.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:44 am 

Roxy's two Sydney Hordern Pavilion shows in April 1975 to promote Country Life. Life changing concerts!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:54 pm 

October 1974 was my first. Country Life tour at the wonderful Glasgow Apollo. That night confirmed Roxy as my favourite band. Favourite Roxy concert was maybe the second Glasgow show of the 2001 reunion tour. We had waited so long to see them again. What made the second show better than the first? In Every Dreamhome a Heartache. Oh and it was a Saturday night!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 pm 

blakey wrote:
I have been lucky enough to have seen Roxy/Bryan many times.
My 1st Roxy concert was March 1973 at the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London on the FYP tour. A wonderful experience for a 15 year old.
I then saw Bryan solo at the Albert Hall, London in December 1974, this was a mini tour with full orchestra, only 3 concerts in total (Glasgow, Newcastle, London if I recall).
I have then seen him live on every tour since 1973 with the exception of this year as I now live in South Africa and can only manage a trip once a year to Europe which did not coincide with his concerts, although I did get to see Phil down near Southampton at the Curious Arts Festival.
I hope you get to see the man next year, it's always a great thrill.
Michael

Thank you Michael;
That is an impressive amount of memories to have seen every tour since 1973! 8-)
You have seen the evolution of it all from the very beginnings, wish I could say the same ;)
Thanks for posting blakey;
Hope to hear from you more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:37 pm 

Zarathustra wrote:
Roxy's two Sydney Hordern Pavilion shows in April 1975 to promote Country Life. Life changing concerts!

Thanks Zarathustra, what was the song lineup for those concerts?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm 

Jerry Nunn wrote:
October 1974 was my first. Country Life tour at the wonderful Glasgow Apollo. That night confirmed Roxy as my favourite band. Favourite Roxy concert was maybe the second Glasgow show of the 2001 reunion tour. We had waited so long to see them again. What made the second show better than the first? In Every Dreamhome a Heartache. Oh and it was a Saturday night!!!

:D Thanks Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 pm 

Although I've loved them from the start, I was too naive and young (and skint) to attend my first Roxy gig until 1975, the Siren tour, at Newcastle City Hall. (I've kept the same seat in the balcony, centre right at loads of subsequent gigs!).

I wore a black 2 button jacket, cream shirt and grey flannels, and (gulp) a blue and white spotted neckerchief :oops: , (Ray Davies had one on like it the other week when he was interviewed on BBC morning news....).

My girlfriend had the Siren WAAF uniform look, nipped short jacket and pencil skirt, but in brown.

There were quite a few GI outfits on display.

I didn't watch the support act as I spent most of the time taking in the sights and sounds in the foyer and bar and trying to force my brain to record every single second, I was so excited.

Then, upstairs, I can't remember what songs were on the tape being played but everyone had a laugh when "The Hills are alive with the Sound of (Roxy) Music" came on. Then the lights went out, it was completely dark, then the wonderful eerie sparkling intro to Sentimental Fool started (my favourite track from Siren); I'm getting goosebumps now remembering how stunning the sound was in the darkness, it really made us focus.

Then Bryan started singing the opening lines - still in darkness - until "How can I..." and a single spotlight caught his head in profile (the crowd cheered with excitement and joy), then the chorus blasted the stage into light and into life and there they all were, the crowd went absolutely crazy. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest!!

They did Strictly Confidential that night and the place was so reverential, Bryan had us in the palm of his hands.

On Do the Strand, and being in his hometown, he changed "Chinese" to "Geordies!" which got a tremendous cheer, despite me being a Mackem I had to let him off with that....

It was the happiest night of my life.

My favourite solo show was the As Time Goes By tour, that band were incredible. His voice was superb, so moving, especially on "Where or When," I was close to tears, it was so perfect.

Love to you all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:21 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Although I've loved them from the start, I was too naive and young (and skint) to attend my first Roxy gig until 1975, the Siren tour, at Newcastle City Hall. (I've kept the same seat in the balcony, centre right at loads of subsequent gigs!).

I wore a black 2 button jacket, cream shirt and grey flannels, and (gulp) a blue and white spotted neckerchief :oops: , (Ray Davies had one on like it the other week when he was interviewed on BBC morning news....).

My girlfriend had the Siren WAAF uniform look, nipped short jacket and pencil skirt, but in brown.

There were quite a few GI outfits on display.

I didn't watch the support act as I spent most of the time taking in the sights and sounds in the foyer and bar and trying to force my brain to record every single second, I was so excited.

Then, upstairs, I can't remember what songs were on the tape being played but everyone had a laugh when "The Hills are alive with the Sound of (Roxy) Music" came on. Then the lights went out, it was completely dark, then the wonderful eerie sparkling intro to Sentimental Fool started (my favourite track from Siren); I'm getting goosebumps now remembering how stunning the sound was in the darkness, it really made us focus.

Then Bryan started singing the opening lines - still in darkness - until "How can I..." and a single spotlight caught his head in profile (the crowd cheered with excitement and joy), then the chorus blasted the stage into light and into life and there they all were, the crowd went absolutely crazy. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest!!

They did Strictly Confidential that night and the place was so reverential, Bryan had us in the palm of his hands.

On Do the Strand, and being in his hometown, he changed "Chinese" to "Geordies!" which got a tremendous cheer, despite me being a Mackem I had to let him off with that....

It was the happiest night of my life.

My favourite solo show was the As Time Goes By tour, that band were incredible. His voice was superb, so moving, especially on "Where or When," I was close to tears, it was so perfect.

Love to you all.

Thank you so much Rendezvous!
That was a wonderful description
Wish I could have been there!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:24 pm 

Sorry in advance Smudge :? ;)
I don't know how to cut and paste yet :)