VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Set List
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
The set list for he opening show at Perth is here:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_38_setlist.php

He did The Space Between for this first time since a handful of shows at the early stage of the Mamouna tour in 1994 and also The 39 Steps performed for the first time since the 1994 tour.

While My Heart Is Still Beating has been added to the set, the first time since the 2011 Roxy tour and first time on a BF solo tour since 1988.

J.O'B.

Hipsters,
This looks encouraging!
W2 took his information from a scurrilous online source.
The reality, as reported by our leader is better albeit independent of the fact that Windswept prefers his own submission (quell surprise!) it would be nice if there were more new songs.
Peut-être qu'il est un travail en cours ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:32 pm 

Given all the possibilities, I have no complaint re the set list that started off the 2016 tour.

I recognize that the final five songs of any BF concert will focus on "The Hits" regardless of how overplayed they might have become... So that's OK

Bob Dylan's Dream could be excised as far as I'm concerned, but whatever...

Only two tracks from Avonmore are in the list which is a bit surprising, but that's not a problem!

I've always liked Mamuona, so long lost tunes from that album are fine by me. I probably would have voted to go with Which Way to Turn but, again, whatever...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 pm 

This is mildly uplifting. The Space Between was highly unexpected,
not to mention the "nicht für alle" song The 39 Steps. That song can be a rather dark sequence for somebody. -And no Let`s Stick Together!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:39 pm 

Hipsters,

Having forensically analysed the Perth Fandango, W2 finds it interesting how heavily mined the Avalon album is - 5 songs in this set!

Whilst Avonmore itself only gets 2 - un peu bizarre n'est ce pas ?

As our hero has rejected W2's original proposal then maybe we could have 'Johnny & Mary' and 'Soldier Of Fortune' instead of 'Slave To Love' and 'Bob Dylan's Dream' ?

Windswept is getting over excited about Friday but worries over new songs and the cost of Mrs W's outfit.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:12 pm 

Bonsoir, chers amis!

Overall I am pleased with the set list. As DCJ writes, there must be crowd pleasers in the end. But why not replace VP with The name of the game - and Slave to love with Windswept (hommage to the great W2!)
Looking forward to hear The space between!

Bonne soirée à tous!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:01 pm 

Good observation of 5 from Avalon, (their weakest effort).. but also why can't he replace the oh so tired Love is The Drug and Jealous Guy with some of his solo classics, In Crowd, In your Mind, Love Me madly Again, etc.etc.
I understand the "crowd pleaser" issue but many, many fans I believe would actually be quite open to some changes. I will be at The Beacon as well as in Boston, the band line up looks much improved from his last US dates, but other than the addition of BQ, the setlist again looks pretty tired.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 am 
Site Owner

Some changes in the set at Stirling last night:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_38_setlist.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:01 am 

Bonjour!

Thanks for the set list, John! Even better!
In my opinion Avalon is by far the best RM album. It is a true masterpiece in the world of pop music. Every song is excellent. Happy that While my heart is still beating is back after all these years.
Anyway, as M W2 puts it, all Ferry is good Ferry (except Goodnight Irene and Virginia Plain!).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:09 am 

all Ferry is good Ferry (except Goodnight Irene and Virginia Plain!)

I know we all hear things differently, Oberon, but, dear God, Virginia Plain! :shock:

That's a bit like signing up for bible studies, then asking to skip the bits featuring Jesus, isn't it?! ;) (With apologies if I've offended anyone's religious leanings...)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:21 pm 

Cher Smudge!
Don't worry, I understand your reaction. I can't put my finger on it, but it is something with VP that makes me nervous. I simply can't stand the song - so if a toilet break is needed or it's time for another glass of wine, there is an interval designed for that!
Enjoy the show!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next