VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Set List
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:42 am 

Rendezvous the picture of BF drinking the juice was taken back stage at his last U.S.A tour... the juice was supplied by the Greenhouse Juice Co.
The picture was posted on both BF's face book page and on the juice company's page. Both sites have now taken the picture down

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:52 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Smudge wrote:
I'm in the camp which has IYM as one of its favourite albums, with Mamouna much further down that list.

I'm in agreement with you Smudge. For me on IYM Ferry was writing songs in the classic verse-chorus format, whereas by Mamouna he was essentially starting off with grooves and seeing where they went. Gemini Moon, Which Way to Turn, 39 Steps - all start off enormously promisingly (WWTT in particular is great) but many of them go on too long and drift on as though he doesn't know how to develop the song or finish it. Mamouna was the first Ferry album without a significant hit single, if I remember rightly, although the days of gracing the Hit Parade are now sadly behind him and those of his generation.

Exactly my opinion, True2Life, IYM shows Bryan's songwriting talents at its best. He writes in the classic verse-chorus-bridge format, sometimes dividing songs into different parts while he uses so many chords, styles, instruments. Especially All Night Operator, One Kiss & Party Doll are brilliant proofs of his musical skills. Songs that could have been successful single records. An underrated album that has only one mistake: It was a little bit too short ...

I often listened to Mamouna but I always got the impression that it's only one song from start to finish, using two chords, without a single catchy chorus, always written in minor keys (apart from the title track which I always liked). Some may call the mood of this record 'noir', I call it monotonous. This album was a missed opportunity, IPMNSHO, losing so much time and money from Horoscope to Mamouna ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:56 pm 

My two farthings on the IYM mamouna etc discussion.

IYM: many a good tune. Some rather excellent. Horrendously wooden production, however, conspires to make IYM quite uncompelling to my ears. An edgy, urgent new production with some 'snap' could rejuvenate this. C'mon Mr Somerset!

Meanwhile: always loved mamouna. Always felt it was underrated, so I'm pleased to discover that several fellow VRMers share the mamouna love....

Both albums? I'd say: "comparatively" great, to quote Get Carter out of context ;-). Comparative to what, we may ask? Well, to most everything else from lesser mortals 8-) ;)

PS and OT: still listening to a lot of Bowie...and enjoying the Bowie/ferry smorgasbord on my Spotify account

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:08 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:
My two farthings on the IYM mamouna etc discussion.

IYM: many a good tune. Some rather excellent. Horrendously wooden production, however, conspires to make IYM quite uncompelling to my ears. An edgy, urgent new production with some 'snap' could rejuvenate this. C'mon Mr Somerset!

Meanwhile: always loved mamouna. Always felt it was underrated, so I'm pleased to discover that several fellow VRMers share the mamouna love....

Both albums? I'd say: "comparatively" great, to quote Get Carter out of context ;-). Comparative to what, we may ask? Well, to most everything else from lesser mortals 8-) ;)

PS and OT: still listening to a lot of Bowie...and enjoying the Bowie/ferry smorgasbord on my Spotify account

Hello RoxySiren...
I am glad to hear you are still enjoying
TTWD and Bryan..

I love Mamouna
Lesser Mortals 8-)
What is your favourite From Mamouna?

I do Really Love This Is Tomorrow Calling from IYM though

I Like the Cut of Your Jib RoxySiren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 pm 

Tell me this is not brilliant and IMO one of the best live tracks from the Ferry/Roxy stable ever recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ZIWgdMKfo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:17 pm 

Is that clip from the '77 tour, Angel Eyes?

If so, the full (45 min) Japanese TV broadcast gives a good flavour of what IYM had to offer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNAL4YhHnVk

Whether the energy was due to it being BF's first full solo tour (there had only been a handful of '74 shows previously, I think) and/or as a result of batteries feeling recharged after Roxy decided to take a break, I don't know.

There are also some good quality full show audio bootlegs from the same tour (one from Detroit sticks in my memory), some of which feature songs rarely performed live by BF, either then or at any time since.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:14 pm 

Debauched Diletantes,

W2 is wondering if he is the only elegantly ageing hipster concerned that with just one month before kick out, the band line up is yet to be announced ?

Doubtless our hero has everything in hand and is probably deep into rehearsal but if he is open to suggestions, Windswept would love to see the great Colin Good and the equally great Ollie Thompson back into the fold.

W2 is looking forward to the Palladium for his first live FerryFix of 2016.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:19 am 

Bonjour!
Oui, W2, je suis d'accord, mais... Is it realistic to see Good and Ollie back on stage? I am afraid not. I think the band 0f 2015 sounded really good - but, to tell the truth, I don't get much inspiration of seeing these bearded, tattooed blokes. But I hope Jorja will be able to perform. The more ladies on stage, the better!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:23 am 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

Despite W2's sage advice, it looks like our hero has decided to leave the set list basically the same.

In Perth, 'Out Of The Blue' and 'Oh Yeah' were in and 'Take A Chance With Me' and 'Let's Stick Together' were out. Other than that things look to be the same as last year's Brighton gig.

Of course, there is always the possibility that he is rehearsing W2's original proposal as we speak and that all will change for the Palladium - hope springs eternal.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:35 am 
Site Owner

The set list for he opening show at Perth is here:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/tours_38_setlist.php

He did The Space Between for this first time since a handful of shows at the early stage of the Mamouna tour in 1994 and also The 39 Steps performed for the first time since the 1994 tour.

While My Heart Is Still Beating has been added to the set, the first time since the 2011 Roxy tour and first time on a BF solo tour since 1988.

J.O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next