VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Set List
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:13 pm 

Debauched Diletantes,
Now that re-booking the London dates has turned in to a full blown transatlantic fandango that is starting to rival Dylan's 'Never Ending Tour', W2 thinks it more important than ever that the ghosts who haunt this hallowed cyber hall turn their attention to the set list.
IWNSHO, it would be a mistake not to make significant changes from last year.
He says this for three reasons:
Firstly, our hero must have many repeat fans and with three consecutive tours W2 is sure that he will be aware of the need to ring the changes and give us something new.
Secondly, there are so many great songs that we have not heard for years which would absolutely shiver our timbers - 'Serenade', '2HB' &
'The Name Of The Game' to name but three.
Last, but by no means least, it would be great to find another third act and a different way for the show to reach its climax.
W2 posted his definitive recommendation at the beginning of this blog and prays that it comes to fruition but rests easy in the knowledge that our hero won't say; "I tried but I could not find a way."
As important as the set list, if not more so, is the line up. Here W2 hopes that it remains exactly as per last year. They were great and had evolved into a real band. Sadly, the fabulous Jorja Chalmers might be a risk as she was heavily pregnant in October of. That said, she was back on the boards quickly after her last baby so who knows? We will wait with bated breath for the troubadours to be announced.
salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm 

Bryan - two requests - I'm thinking positive because one of my long time requests -"Beauty Queen" was played last year... So....

Open with "Manifesto" and close with "Prairie Rose"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:16 pm 

As it is a Bryan Ferry tour how about no Roxy Music songs and a set list made up from what, imho, were Bryan's best solo albums. These Foolish Things, Another Time Another Place, Let's Stick Together, In a Your Mind and The Bride Stripped Bare.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:03 pm 

Sorry guys, I think there may be minimal changes to the set list. I think it will remain the "Avonmore" tour as it was when we saw it in the UK last year. He is now taking it to other countries and the four UK dates are a warm up and replacement for the cancelled shows last year. Those people are still to see the Avonmore tour and Perth & Stirling are new venues for Bryan.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:54 am 

Then there were no need for me to dream.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 am 

Bonjour, mes amis!

Le freak, keep on dreaming! At least minor changes are to expect, like playing Serenade and Then name of the game. I hope Lucy Wilkins will continue in the band as it opens up for Bête Noir and Out of the blue. And how about Jorja? We need some candies for the eyes too! (If I dare to say so...)
Salutations de Naxos!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:45 am 

Minimal doesn't mean not any! :) I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 is a possibility but I won't expect a brand new set list. ;)

8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:30 pm 

Roxy wrote:
Minimal doesn't mean not any! :) I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 is a possibility but I won't expect a brand new set list. ;)

8-) 8-)

Cher Roxy,

You may well be correct but W2 hopes you are wrong.

At the last count, this tour now numbers 34 dates - a world tour by most standards and although the venues are different, the locations are well within striking distance of last years gigs and there is bound to be a huge audience duplication.

W2 remembers when in '01 Roxy in played NYC's The Garden - they were an absolute triumph. The audience reaction was nothing short of euphoric.

They returned in '03 and played Radio City with the exact same set list and frankly the reaction was not at all the same. To be polite, it was subdued and our hero looked like he knew it.

New songs are so important for the band, let alone the audience and W2 prays for a new set - God knows he's not short of material!
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:51 pm 

Realizing that Mr Ferry is gonna play what he's gonna play regardless of what a persnickety fan like DCJ might desire, I do have one wish for this summer's set list:

In Your Mind

This has long been one of my favorite BF tracks and (especially) lyrics. I don't think he has played it since the late 70s and, as the years slip by, well past the summer of (our) years, the time is right for a re-visioning of this compelling classic.

Present laughter and the memory
Of troubles (we) have seen
It is written in (our) mind(s)

DCJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:49 pm 

The entire In Your Mind album is classic , except perhaps Tokyo Joe.
Ferry knocks them out , one after another, from the opener, This is Tomorrow, all brass and brash, One Kiss , a real smooch, and All Night Operator and Love Me Madly Again, rockin'n'rollin.
And then there's side 2, apart from the aforementioned, from Party Doll and that segue from Rock of Ages to In Your Mind itself.
Hark the frozen chimes of winter. Pure class, indeed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next