VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lover, Sentimental Fool, Heartache By Number, Over You
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 pm 

teresa wrote:
le freak wrote:
"Same Old Scene", autumn 1980; - Hmm is this Roxy? Now they sound cool!

Roxy Is Always Cool Le Freak!
When Were They Not?...

See, my view at that particular time wasn`t much in favour of 70s Roxy. Today I agree with you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:48 pm 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Teresa a pose une question intéressant mais difficile!
In keeping with most of the ghosts that haunt this hallowed cyber hall Windswept could fill a page with this one. Our hero has been his go to musical troubadour throughout the rich tapestry of life and there have been so many Ferry morsels that have pulled his heart strings.
That said, if there has to be one that means the most it is the incredible 2HB and there are a plethora of reasons for this.
D'abord it was one of the first songs W2 heard Roxy Music play in 1972 at Redcar Jazz club and it just blew him away. On that night nobody save the band knew the lyrics but the vibe of the track just swirled like mist around the audience.We were all instantly transported.
When we got hold of the album a couple of weeks later and read the lyrics, the sheer genius of it was apparent:
"Oh I was moved by your screen dream
Celluloid pictures are living
Your death could not kill our love for you"
More romantic than this, it's impossible to get.
What's more the fact it is a tribute to Bogart & Bacall added to the thrill as W2 is a huge Bogey fan.
In the decades that followed, neither Roxy or Ferry played it live until W2 heard it at what will probably turn out to be the last Roxy gig he will ever attend. They included it in their 2012 FYP set in Sydney.
That night they were note perfect and played it against a fabulous cinematic back drop.
W2 had hoped it would have made it into the AEWBF set in 2013 - it would have been a perfect fit and a great vehicle for TBFO but it wasn't to be.
In the years in-between, there haven't been many days when W2 hasn't had the track swirling around in his head and many weeks when he hasn't played it.
It is also one of the few Roxy songs that has been well covered. Manishevitz, a Chicago based indie band did a great jazz infused version on their Private Lives EP and for those that haven't heard it, it's well worth a listen.
All in all, it continues to be the song that haunts W2 the most:
"Long time since we're together
Now I hope it's forever"
Says it all. Sublime!
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 am 

Bill wrote:
I remember breaking up with a long term girlfriend and straight after, going back to my flat. No sooner did I turn the telly on than "Oh Yeah" started playing on TOTP. T'was too much for my 18 year old heart to take...!

Oh Bill I am sorry to hear that! But what a
Co incidence. I feel like I have had that happen to me many times with Bryans music

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:21 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
Teresa a pose une question intéressant mais difficile!
In keeping with most of the ghosts that haunt this hallowed cyber hall Windswept could fill a page with this one. Our hero has been his go to musical troubadour throughout the rich tapestry of life and there have been so many Ferry morsels that have pulled his heart strings.
That said, if there has to be one that means the most it is the incredible 2HB and there are a plethora of reasons for this.
D'abord it was one of the first songs W2 heard Roxy Music play in 1972 at Redcar Jazz club and it just blew him away. On that night nobody save the band knew the lyrics but the vibe of the track just swirled like mist around the audience.We were all instantly transported.
When we got hold of the album a couple of weeks later and read the lyrics, the sheer genius of it was apparent:
"Oh I was moved by your screen dream
Celluloid pictures are living
Your death could not kill our love for you"
More romantic than this, it's impossible to get.
What's more the fact it is a tribute to Bogart & Bacall added to the thrill as W2 is a huge Bogey fan.
In the decades that followed, neither Roxy or Ferry played it live until W2 heard it at what will probably turn out to be the last Roxy gig he will ever attend. They included it in their 2012 FYP set in Sydney.
That night they were note perfect and played it against a fabulous cinematic back drop.
W2 had hoped it would have made it into the AEWBF set in 2013 - it would have been a perfect fit and a great vehicle for TBFO but it wasn't to be.
In the years in-between, there haven't been many days when W2 hasn't had the track swirling around in his head and many weeks when he hasn't played it.
It is also one of the few Roxy songs that has been well covered. Manishevitz, a Chicago based indie band did a great jazz infused version on their Private Lives EP and for those that haven't heard it, it's well worth a listen.
All in all, it continues to be the song that haunts W2 the most:
"Long time since we're together
Now I hope it's forever"
Says it all. Sublime!
Salutations,
Windswept

Oh My Dear Dear Windswept!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:31 am 

Oberon wrote:
Chère Teresa!
BF;s music has been the soundtrack to my life, so I shall not make you feel tired with a long set of songs.
But, as was the case with Bill, I can mention one; after splitting up with a girlfriend, I listened to The name of the game. "Out in the wilderness again..."

Oberon I am sorry to hear that;

I have had so many co incidences like that with Bryans music that it's Uncanny!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 am 

le freak wrote:
teresa wrote:
le freak wrote:
"Same Old Scene", autumn 1980; - Hmm is this Roxy? Now they sound cool!

Roxy Is Always Cool Le Freak!
When Were They Not?...

See, my view at that particular time wasn`t much in favour of 70s Roxy. Today I agree with you.

:D 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:27 am 

[attachment=0]humphrey-bogart-4.jpg[/att

Attachments:
humphrey-bogart-4.jpg
humphrey-bogart-4.jpg [ 23.93 KiB | Viewed 11082 times ]

Last edited by teresa on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 am 

Attachment:
20151124_014718-2-5-2-2-2-2.jpg
20151124_014718-2-5-2-2-2-2.jpg [ 247.97 KiB | Viewed 11082 times ]
teresa wrote:
[attachment=0]humphrey-bogart-4.jpg[/att

Much like Bogart
I lost My Beloved David at the age of 58 on 3-7-15
He had just turned 58 and died from a similar cancer
Bacall lost Bogart when he was 57...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 pm 

Like other members have said many of the songs over the years can trigger an instant memory of a particular day, time, or event (good & bad) so I don't have one special song as such.

I can say that the album These Foolish Things has a strong memory for me as I went out with a lad at school who had this album and we used to play it round at his house all the time. He also had BRYAN FERRY written across the back of his school blazer in black marker pen which his mother was not happy about. :x

8-)

.....................we will celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary this year. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:43 am 

Roxy wrote:
Like other members have said many of the songs over the years can trigger an instant memory of a particular day, time, or event (good & bad) so I don't have one special song as such.

I can say that the album These Foolish Things has a strong memory for me as I went out with a lad at school who had this album and we used to play it round at his house all the time. He also had BRYAN FERRY written across the back of his school blazer in black marker pen which his mother was not happy about. :x

8-)

.....................we will celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary this year. :)

Oh Roxy
I am So Happy For You !
David and I had just celebrated our 37th. I lost him two months later..

I know what you mean exactly about Bryans music especially. These Foolish Things is also very special to me Roxy.
My special song for David was More Than This...
He resembled Bryan in many ways, the way he moved, looked..
And there is something special about More Than This that touches me so every time I hear it.
I am hoping Bryan does it on this upcoming tour...