VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bryan Ferry 'Avonmore' Special Edition
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:20 pm 

Here is the link:

http://www.bryanferry.com/shop/products ... l-Edition/

Absolutely gorgeous edition although obviously no outtakes. But too expensive for me at the moment ... What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry 'Avonmore' Special Edition
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:57 pm 

Hedonistic Hipsters,

Normally Windswept's largesse knows no boundaries when it comes to all things Ferry and doubtless this may prove to be a thing of great beauty.

That said, having purchased the download, the vinyl (by mistake - he has nothing to play it on), the tour book and the concert, W2 thinks he has quite enough Avonmore to be going on with.

He might have been tempted if it had included a couple of exclusive tracks and a concert DVD but even then, at £100, Windswept fears that The Bonny Lad's marketing manager needs some training on price elasticity.

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:56 pm 

Looks beautifully packaged and coloured vinyl too - haven't seen that for a while. Avonmore rightly deserves this deluxe version.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:04 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Absolutely gorgeous edition although obviously no outtakes. But too expensive for me at the moment ... What do you think?

Looks great, I'd really love to have it. Unfortunately the current exchange rate is not really in our favour, I'm afraid at a price of 147€ (!) I'll have to give it a pass and meditate on equanimity instead ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:21 am 

Quite apart from the hefty price tag, I find two aspects a bit disappointing:

(a) the amount of duplication (the original Avonmore album is included twice more. i.e. on CD and vinyl); and

(b) the fact that the 100 signed copies are not automatically allocated to the first 100 fans who pre-order via BF.com (it seems that all pre-orders before 5th December will go into the lottery or raffle for those 100 signed copies).

I'm surprised that there isn't more photographic content too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:23 pm 

Good Early Evening to all Fellow Roxyologists and Ferryistas! It's Lori! I am very happy that Bryan is going to offer A Special Deluxe " Edition Of" The Avonmore Album/CD! However I posted A request to both Bryan Ferry and His Management Team on His Face Book Web-Site page to include 2 special surprises. 1. A DVD Documentary of ' The making Of The Avonmore Album. " 2. A Music DVD of the best " Avonmore Tour " Concert to Date. Sadly both did not take it under advisement. This what would have make The " Special Deluxe " Edition Of " The Avonmore " Album/CD A real special treat for Fans. The fact that There are going to be only 1500 Copies made of This will make it very hard for Me to get it. Not to mention The Price. Although The content of what is being offered is not bad, I just expected more form Bryan. It could also be that including the above suggestions would have make it a very hard sell as it had the potential to increase the Price of it even further? I as A Yankee Fan Who has the bad Luck of being Born and raised on the Wrong Side of The Atlantic Ocean would have LOVED those Two items included. Also being A Yankee Fan is " A Heartache In A Dream Home " as it were as He does not often come Stateside enough.So having The Master on as many Concert DVD's as possible would make Up for it.
He is the only Senior Citizen Rock Star/Musician the I have a very Bad, Mad crush on! His Music is extraordinary and His Genious is Second to None. I also find Him to be extremely attractive and Handsome. Very Photogenic at His Age. Extraordinarily Gorgeous.
Must be Those Northeastern U.K. Genes. as some of His contemporary Musicians from that Region of The U.K. are also!
Here's HOPING against HOPE for some U.S.A. Dates next Year!
Love to All Fans Who post Here in These Sacred and Hallowed Cyber Halls Of Justice, Lori!
P.S. Spinning ( Playing ) Taxi at The Moment! I also hope that I not posted anything offensive Here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:43 am 

Similar views to others on this. Since I already own Avonmore on vinyl and CD (the former rather unwittingly) why would I want them both again in this box set? Furthermore, we're promised exclusive, previously unreleased mixes but apart from how tedious most remixes (by anyone) are, just how exclusive are these? As exclusive as The Making of Olympia DVD perhaps (sic)?
Admittedly beautifully packaged but a rare example of style over substance and way too expensive. I do wonder sometimes just how in touch with ordinary fans team BF are at times.
Just an opinion - no-one's forcing me to buy it (before someone says it!).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:06 am 

Despite the fact that the tired old 1974 image and 1982 font are still on show - the album art here manages to make 'Ave' you anymore' look about 13% more interesting.... But alas, no amount of crisp and colourful re - modelling could ever make up for the tedium inside.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:41 pm 

UKRichard & Gardner:

Sad to say, I agree with everything in your above posts.

If I really looked hard, I could probably track down the CD of Avonmore I bought last year. But it's not high on my agenda. Recently Frantic made it back in my "playlist while working at the computer" and while I'm not saying WOW! this is great to hear again, it's nice enough to revisit (but I skip Goodnight Irene!). And Olympia has Reason or Rhyme. But Avonmore holds no charm except perhaps for the title track, but that is loaded with too many guitars and a muddy vocal buried in the mix...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:33 am 

Mornin campers

I hope this foggy morning finds your old bones well oiled and your old balls sitting rightly in their place..... their sockets! you mucky minded so & so's haha

anyway back to Bryan Ferry's Avonmore special Edition......

Am I really the only one on here who has placed an order? I ordered mine on Friday, I fell head over heels in love with the white vinyl, but before I dived in feet first letting my heart rule my head I had a look at what was in the package and found that the only thing I did have was Avonmore on CD! and I can live that.

I can understand other peoples gripes about the cost, there's no doubt that it is an expensive package especially if you already have the CD, Vinyl. remixes etc etc...but I haven't
I always planned on buying the vinyl, but that new pair of shoes always got in the way and it never happened.
It would have been good to see a live DVD in there from the tour or outtakes that never got used, even the red tour t-shirt I never got my hands on that would have been good too, but it is what it is.

I just hope that it comes back signed as I'm hoping to put it away and save it until Christmas day..not sure I'll succeed but I'll give it a go.
If it reveals an unsigned package I'll be gutted and back on here on Christmas day fully loaded with Martini and swearing like a trouper..... :o Should be good.

The ticking clock waits for no one

Cheerio x