A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Record Store Day 2016 - Bryan Ferry Box Set
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:33 pm 

Bryan Ferry - The Island Singles 1973 - 1976 - 7" Box Set

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-r ... yan-ferry/

Quote:
Just over a year after Roxy Music broke through, the band’s leader and frontman Bryan Ferry began a parallel solo career that goes from strength to strength to this day. His initial choice of solo material was ground-breaking, taking as it did the songs of Bob Dylan and standards from soul music and the Great American Songbook, and adding a touch of glamour and rock ‘n’ roll danger to them. The results sound as audacious today as they did back then. The singles taken from the albums ‘These Foolish Things’, ‘Another Time, Another Place’ and ‘Let's Stick Together’ complimented the original material Ferry wrote for Roxy, while their B-sides offered solo re-recordings of songs from Roxy's debut album. His final Island 7”, ‘Extended Play’ from 1976, reintroduced the thrill of the four-tracker that had been so popular in the ‘60s. With replica European picture sleeves and on heavyweight vinyl, ‘The Island Singles 1973-1976’ is a truly luxurious addition to this year's Record Store Day line up.

8-)

Post subject: Re: Record Store Day 2016 - Bryan Ferry Box Set
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:56 pm 

I hope this helps out local Record Stores and I hope that Vinylistas will find it enjoyable after forking over an undisclosed price for the box set.

Nonetheless, here we have yet again another instance of BF Churning the Catalog and re-releasing long available recordings!!! At least last year the extended version of Ladytron offered a minute or so of NEW MATERIAL previously unheard by the unwashed masses. This year it's back to the same old same old.

It's also interesting that this BF boxset bears no relation to the long promised deluxe edition of the first Roxy album that is supposedly coming any day now! Tick Tock Tick Tock...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:52 pm 
Site Owner

I agree that the music in this box set doesn't offer anything new. Having said that, I don't think that is what Record Store Day is about. Most artists, not just Ferry/Roxy use old previously released recordings for use on RSD. Some do the odd rare/never released before recording like Roxy did last year with the full version of Ladytron but this is the exception rather than the rule.

I think this box set is purely a collectors item as an object to own rather than some new music to play, just like most Record Store Day releases.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:29 pm 

I don't know much about Record Store Day except for what is generally known, but clearly the intent is to get people to make the trek to a "real" record store in place of getting something from Amazon or downloading or streaming. Boots on The Ground in a brick and mortar record store. That's the goal.

Limited releases of repackaged recordings can attract customers, but previously unreleased material offers a special allure for fans who aren't "obsessive completest collectors." Last year the Roxy release of Ladytron offered something unheard for over 40 years (it was hardly earthshaking in consequence, but at least it was new); this year the BF singles boxset is simply yet one more repackaging of long available recordings. Perhaps that will serve the purpose of Record Day, but for many Roxy fans (or at least for me) the boxset is not terribly exciting. That doesn't make it bad. It's just not something I consider very motivating... But others may disagree.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:29 pm 

I am going for it . I had some of these singles in my formative years, ( and may still have some of them) and for the nostalgia alone I'll say its worth a punt (I'll seek out the price of love for Extended Play , on its own.) Eh? Ok, money an option.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:50 pm 

Looking at the details there is a slight extra for those of us in the UK as all the singles come in a replica European picture sleeve. Only "The In Crowd" and "The Price of Love" came with a picture sleeve originally and the rest in plain paper.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:52 am 
Site Owner

A wee bit of trivia is that the version of Another Time Another Place used as a b-side is longer than the LP version.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:15 am 

I loved the size of album covers when vinyl ruled but was always disappointed with the sound and especially the wear factor. My current preference is DVD audio and can't wait for FYP to Siren to be released so a 5.1 mix can be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 pm 

I'm not often shocked, but today came pretty close... The store where I intended to queue for the RSD singles box on 16th April informed me that they had not ordered any copies because of the price. :(

Apparently it will retail at a whopping £64 (currently about 82 euros or US$93) for six 7" singles! :shock:

Who came up with THAT as a price?!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:32 am 

Smudge wrote:
Apparently it will retail at a whopping £64 (currently about 82 euros or US$93) for six 7" singles! :shock:

Bad news, Smudge. If this pricing policy continues I don't want to know what Steven Wilson's remix of Roxy Music will cost ...