VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Yank Finds It Late
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 am 

rendezvous wrote:
. . . you have heard EVERYTHING I love in such a short space of time, and without the media access we brits had too.....

Man, to have that innocent access again, that instant electric blood rush...relating to something that feels like it was made just for you.

I wanted to expand a little bit on this very interesting comment. It was a crazygreat way to experience those first listens via YouTube, since I was taking each song individually, having no idea what I was doing and no sense at all of discography or timeline. It became a four-hour session, just taking whatever popped up in that sidebar and listening with a topnotch headset, so yeah, electric blood rush is right. My first listen of Beauty Queen was on the headphones and I literally gasped at the end when BOOM I was dumped off the cliff into total silence. :shock: (Which I loved. So audacious of them. I actually thought the headset had cut out.) To say nothing of all the visual theatricality, the vocal adventures - holy harmonicas, Batman!

In those four initial hours I covered quite a few of the covers, some of the Peel sessions, zigged over to Avalon, zagged back to Musikladen '74, beamed forward to The Right Stuff and Limbo, back to Bitter's End and sideways to If it Takes All Night, and so on. I continued in this manner for a few weeks before I ever looked at discography or history, only because I didn't want to interrupt the sense of total immersion.

And so, I never heard any of it in album form, it was all willynilly grab-and-go, whatever showed up in the list was what I jumped into. I was having so much fun with this method that when the sidebar did present me with full album lists I avoided them and moved on to the next standalone song.

Since then I have, naturally, listened to all eight original RM LPs as one would normally, and, I guess, about 70% of the BF records. But I'll never forget those first few weeks of random ecstasy.

Last edited by sonnet18 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:55 am 

Hi Sonnet

Isn't YouTube Fabulous for that?

That was certainly a Great way to experience Bryans Music..
I still do that,

And what is looking like your
Top Ten
Ferryfavourites ? ;)

Last edited by teresa on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 am 

teresa wrote:
Hi Sonnet

Isn't YouTube Fabulous for that?

That was certainly a Great way to experience Bryans Music..
I still do that, and what is looking like your
Top Ten
Ferryfavourites ;)

I actually believe that YouTube is the present-day savior of great music. We've always had the parallel musical worlds over here - mainstream, and not-so-much. As early as the 1870s a few American writers were already lamenting our listening tastes. :shock: :lol:
Occasionally during my YTRMBF odyssey I'd stop to read a few comments here and there, and kids are definitely discovering the work, loving it, and embarking on their own RMBF listening journeys. I doubt they would have had a trail to follow without YT.

re: favorites, that was more a description of the time-travel aspect of the experience.
If I were asked the dreaded desert island question I couldn't possibly choose a single song or even a top ten and stick to it. If I were sent to my island with only one RM album, I'd be unable to choose since it would be an exact draw between first and third records. Forced to choose one Ferry album for my island, they'd have to hold off shipping me out since I haven't finished hearing his discography yet and so can't form a fair opinion.

Last edited by sonnet18 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:15 am 

Agree!!

Youtube is my main avenue for discovering new music
I ended up Here because of it....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:33 am 

teresa wrote:
Agree!!

Youtube is my main avenue for discovering new music
I ended up Here because of it....

Yeah, YT is how I also picked up the link for this site. Somebody had posted it in one of the comments sections, bless them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 pm 

And also Agree Sonnet,

It is Very hard to choose when it comes to Bryans music,
But if you listen long enough you will probably start to seek out certain songs more often than others.
Of course depending on mood, but the ones I find myself wanting to hear over and over are related to certain times in my life, people, memories or just plain loving the words...
Attachment:
%24_1.JPG
%24_1.JPG [ 16.51 KiB | Viewed 10092 times ]

His Pen....

Mother of Pearl (both original and Horoscope versions)
Casanova
More Than This
Mamouna
Avalon
Over You
Oh Yeah
This is Tomorrow Calling
Slave to Love
Pyjamarama
In Every Dreamhome a Heartache
Amazona
Lost
Windswept
Limbo
Sentimental Fool
Heartache By Number
2 HB
Prairie Rose

Valentine
Lover
Angel Eyes
Kiss and Tell
And Apologies to our Fabulous WS2...
Is Your Love Strong Enough

"Ready Mades"....
Written by Others

Song to the Siren
Jealous Guy
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
Dance With Life ( Brilliant Light) an Absoulte Favourite
Where or When
Johnny and Mary (Fabulous Noir Video)

Last edited by teresa on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:48 pm 

It's so much fun to find a place to talk about the songs. One that stabs me through the heart every time and really makes me rake my life over is In Your Mind. I love it musically - the consistent drum construct throughout holds the arrangement in one piece - otherwise it might have flown apart under its own complexity - but the words just kill me. I've walked those frozen walks by meadow and river, I've thought those thoughts.

These guys have all given us such a range and breadth of songs and sounds that there's relevant material for anyone to choose from. What a gift!

Tim Buckley/Larry Beckett wrote the haunting Song to the Siren, you can check Buckley out on YT 8-) Sinead O'Connor and This Mortal Coil have also covered it beautifully.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:52 pm 

Oh I will thank you Sonnet;

And it has been a while since I heard
In Your Mind...
Time to have a look on YT ;)

Also means I have to edit my post! I thought Bryan wrote
Song to the Siren...

Last edited by teresa on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:05 am 

Post Script....

Better Late
Than Never...... :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am 

teresa wrote:
Post Script....

Better Late
Than Never...... :)

Always. I forgot to cite Spedding's guitar work in IYM. Transcendent.

So, you're crossing the ditch to see them in Newcastle of all places, wow! I hope you'll write a bit here about the experience. I wish I'd seen the band incarnation when Julia Thornton and Ollie Thompson were still on board, but reviews are all good for the current shows, and Jorja Chalmers, Lucy Wilkins, Neil Hubbard et al are still with them.

Lucky you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next